Four fighters earn 40K bonuses at UFC 95

Four fighters earned $40,000 bonuses UFC 95 ended as it began explosive and exciting.

Diego Sanchez and Joe Stevenson earned bonuses as they were awarded fight of the night honors. These two lightweights kept going right at each other commencing a great fight with a final flurry as the fight ended. Sanchez won a unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27 and 29-28).

The knockout of the night could have gone to a host of fighters including hometown hero Dan Hardy as he knocked out Rory Markham in just 1:09. Nathan Marquardt capped an exciting middleweight battle with Wilson Gouveia at 3:10 into the third round with a flying knee-head kick combination for the knockout. Junior dos Santos captured his second first round knockout in as many tries in the UFC as he defeated Stefan Struve 54 seconds into the first round.

Terry Etim utilized a head kick followed up with strikes as he knocked out Brian Cobb just 10 seconds into round 2. If that wasn’t enough the man who won knockout of the night honors went into his fight as a heavy underdog. Paulo Thiago 10-0 in a career that never saw him fight outside his native Brazil shook off some serious punishment from Josh Koscheck and caught the stand-out wrestler with an uppercut left hook combination for the knock out at 3:29 of round 1.

In a battle that may have determined the number 1 contender for the middleweight championship. Demian Maia ran his record to 5-0 in the UFC and 10-0 overall with a slick triangle choke submission over the returning Chael Sonnen. The two battled back and forth for the first half of round one until Maia was able to take Sonnen down and lock in the choke at 2:37 of round 1. Maia earned his fourth submission of the night bonus in just five tries.

• Rich S. says:

just a night of totally unexpected endings..

i couldn’t believe it..

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Marquardt’s nearly total domination of Gouveia was surprising and impressive. But Anderson Silva will be a much harder nut to crack, as Marquardt found out the first time.

Thiago’s knockout of Koscheck seemed like a lucky punch because, up to that point, Koscheck was winning convincingly. Maybe a rematch is in order.

I was impressed by Sanchez’s sportsmanship after outclassing the plodding Stevenson. Sanchez’s demeanor before and after the fight was like night and day.

All in all, a great night of fights.

• Angry Mike says:

Maia’s win pushes him further up the ranks, but there’s no way he’s the no. 1 contender. I don’t think he’s ready for Marquardt, for example, and Marquardt’s not ready for another shot at Silva. Marquardt looked a little gassed in the second and third rounds against Gouevia, who’s nowhere near Silva’s level.

• StayDown says:

I don’t think Nate can beat Maia. Maia seems to be working a lot on his striking and he will use that to get Nate down and then submit him…he easily has the best submission game in all of mma.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

I agree. Maia has incredibly quick, fluid submissions. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be avoided by the right defense. A Marquart Vs Maia matchup seems probable somewhere down the road.

• Ft. Dub says:

How is it two days after a UFC event and this site has ZERO analysis? This is the only new content since the fights? I understand that writing is an involved process, but isn’t that why you have the site? I don’t need a thesis from the couch, but at least a quick paragraph on each fight. How many writers do you guys have now?

Editor’s Note: This type of ungrateful discourse is not constructive and highly frustrating. I think I need to educate you on how this works. First, 5 Oz. of Pain is a FREE site. We have some sponsors but the money we currently generate in this economy is barely enough to cover the costs of servers and my phone bills. All writers that contribute for this site do it on a volunteer basis. There isn’t a single writer on this site getting paid (and that includes me, as I don’t even draw a salary).

I am not sure if you realize, but I am an actual person Ft. Dub. I am also an adult 31-year old male with a wife and a 9-year old son. I don’t live in my parents basement. I have a mortgage and bills that need to get paid. Seeing that this site currently does not provide me with a living and actually costs me money to operate, I have to have real jobs that actually pay and support my family. I apologize, but making sure my wife and son have a roof over the head and food to eat takes a little higher priority over whether someone by the name of “Ft. Dub” gets his 1-2 paragraph breakdown of each UFC fight.

Instead of complaining about the lack of content, how about a gesture of appreciation out of respect to the amount of content we provide to you free of charge? How about a simple thank you for all of the sacrifices we make so that we can get content up in spite of the fact that we all have full-time jobs in addition to 5 Oz.? I mean, how many interviews leading up to UFC 95 did we bring you? Did you once thank us for all that content we worked our asses off to provide?

If you were a paying customer, your demands for content would be just. But you’re not supporting us so an attitude adjustment on your part would really be appreciated.

• Ft. Dub says:

Editor (Sam, I assume). I understand your situation. I own a small business myself and can appreciate that you do this as a part time side gig. However, why would I thank you for providing me a free news source – it is the internet and every site I go to provides me free information with one catch – advertising. While I understand that your traffic and demographic doesn’t currently generate revenue which makes you wealthy, that is not something I should apologize for. Whether or not you live in a basement, or write in your underwear doesn’t matter to me. You bill your site as a place where I can quickly obtain information on what is going on in MMA. Well there was a major UFC two days ago (albeit a free cable version) and you had nothing more than a listing of the decisions. Whether you are making a fortune or not, that is mediocre coverage and you usually do better than that.

If one of my customers thought my product was mediocre, I would appreciate nothing more than for them to call me on it, and I hope for you that you can get over your furstration from the long hours and take my posting as extremely valuable instead of just being sensitive. You can’t build a business expecting your customers to thank you. I do spend my time visiting YOUR site and see YOUR ads, not the other way around.

Editor’s Note: There seems to be some confusion on your part. First and foremost, you are not a customer unless you are either a sponsor or bought a t-shirt. A customer is someone who pays for goods or services. If you do not fall into either category then you are simply a reader of this web site. You made the decision enter the URL of this site into your browser. No one forced you to come here. You are entitled to nothing.

If you don’t like the coverage, or lack thereof, you have a right to stop coming here. And we’ve never billed ourselves “as a place where I can quickly obtain information on what is going on in MMA.” The only thing the tag line says is “Your Insider Source for MMA News and Opinion.” We don’t guarantee you coverage after every event. We do the best that we can. Sorry if it’s not good enough for you. But you’re not my boss and you’re not a customer so pardon me if my tolerance for your obnoxious comments is minimal. Tell us how to be better. Simply pointing out our shortcomings accomplishes nothing. Making an obvious statement that essentially amounts to “Gee, there’s no content after a UFC 95 event” without taking into consideration that might have other responsibilities in life other than to be your personal scribe. You know, we had a couple of readers that felt we had a few holes to fill in their coverage. And you know what? Instead of whining they actually stepped up and became contributors because they understood this is a grassroots operation. I think David Andrest might be too good at his job because there appear to be a lot of people who think we’re a full-time company that has funding and operates out of a major office. An dishonest man wouldn’t tell you this but everything you see here is smoke and mirrors.

There’s no value in any of the comments you have left. For you to think otherwise is ignorant. It’s nothing but criticism that contains no constructive element to it. I am working too hard for too little to tolerate lectures from a freeloader such as yourself.

Good day to you sir.

• FFG says:

Ft. Dub been that “is the internet and every site I go to provides me free information with one catch – advertising” why don’t you go to any of the other sites that provide you with the information you require immediately, instead of sitting there and complaining in the matter the MMA news get reported on the site. If I was your customer and I didn’t like your product, I’d go somewhere else where my needs can met, I wouldn’t sit there and complain about something that’s free. I have no affiliation to 5 ounces and your comments come across as a complainer….don’t like the station, change the channel. The rest of us will enjoy the coverage provided which is by far better than most of the other sites

Thanks

• JBAR says:

If it is such a big deal to have immediate analysis of a fight just watch the event and form your own opinion.
    I for one greatly appreciate the work by those who run this site as I have been able to keep up with the sport I love and follow events through the live chat while in the hospital with my son. There was live coverage of this event as well. So Thanks again to all of you at 5oz who provide the articles, Jolly for the great play by play and those who fill in for her as well all of your efforts are appreciated.

Thanks

• To be honest there wasn’t much evaluation of the event (UFC 95) on many of the other major sites. People have families and the weekends tend to be slow regardless if there was a major show taking place or not. In the short time I have been part of the family here at 5 Oz’s I have gotten a glimpse of the hard work and dedication that Sam and the other writers put into this site. If you knew what was involved I am pretty sure you would change your tune.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

I, for one, often wonder how they maintain such a comprehensive, high quality site here on 5Oz considering the apparent lack of adequate financial sustenance.
    Creation and constant production of 5Oz is obviously a labor of love by those behind the scenes, the writers and owners.

I find 5Oz a rich and invaluable resource for insight into all aspects of MMA. It is quite simply, the best MMA site on the web, I consult it every day and am grateful it exists.

• JDamico23 says:

Fdub just go to sherdog, you’ll get analysis from a subscriber as the fights are happening in a thread or something. This website doesnt do live play by play for all i know, and they dont claim to, so u cant really hold that against them. That being said they never really did a fight recap for every fight after a card. PCFTC is a regular after cards, where sam gives his ideas and insight on the fights that happened. This sites more for insider interviews, fight signings, and other mma related news. If it werent for some of the people who post on here, including certain writers, id probably post more often and visit more often, however it seems people dont really know how to argue intelligently here so i dont bother much anymore. That being said, this website still rocks and i fail to see where it is the duty of a group of editors to describe to you what you can see on any mma website out there. If they were charging 5$ a month, youd have a right to get mad if info wasnt promptly posted, however its free so just be patient.

• JDamico23 says:

however on the same token, i do understand that u think they signed up for this, so they should uphold their dutys and what not…but give them a break, this isnt their 9-5