Couture confirms possibility of fight vs. Cro Cop at UFC 99

Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. In the case of former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Randy Couture, rumors of a possible showdown with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 99 appear to be valid.

During a recent interview with Arianny Celeste for the video web site RawVegas.tv, Couture confirmed that the rumors are indeed true.

“(It’s a ) possibility,” Couture responded when asked about reports linking him to a bout against the former PRIDE star.

However, the five-time UFC world champion stopped short of saying that the matchup has been finalized.

“I’m working on a movie this spring (in) March, April, and May,” revealed “The Natural,” before adding, “… It depends on when I finish the movie.”

While his movie commitment will take first priority, a fight with Cro Cop is one that is attractive to Couture.

“If I can get a full camp in before the Germany fight (then) I would love to fight Cro Cop. He’s a huge star in the Germany. The question is whether I can get a full camp in.”

While many fans are intrigued by the possibility of a Couture vs. Cro Cop fight, there appears to be a strong possibility that the fight will not happen.

UFC 99 is tentatively schedule to take place at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany on Saturday, June 13. Assuming Couture finishes his filming commitments by early May, the 46-year old would have just slightly over five weeks to prepare for the event.

If filming were to extend into May, fighting in June would no longer be a viable option for Couture. It also remains to be seen if the UFC would be willing to sign a fight that could not be finalized until just 5-6 weeks in advance of an event, as the bout’s impact on ticket sales would be limited.

As of now, just two bouts have been reported for UFC 99; a 195 pound catchweight bout between former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva and former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin as well as a lightweight contest between Caol Uno and Spencer Fisher.

• RU486 says:

This fight was supposed to happen a couple of years ago, but was derailed by a headkick from Gabriel Gonzaga. I would be excited to see this come to fruition.l

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Maybe Randy will suprise the world again with a brilliant tactical demolition of Cro
    Cop.
    Very few others can evaluate an opponent and exploit his weaknesses like Randy. But now, that skill would be better utilized as a coach rather than as a fighter. Better to retire gracefully than go on too long. .

• Cliff says:

Cro Cop did not have a good start in the UFC, maybe they should let him get his feet wet with someone other than Randy. I would like to see both of them fight but I think a donination by Randy may not make for an entertaining fight.

• Scott H. says:

Sounds like it would be better for Randy to wait for UFC 100, possibly against Big Nog.

How about Heath Herring vs. Cro Cop? An exciting fight, and a little bit of an easier re-entrance for Cro Cop.

• Rich S. says:

Whoa,
    this is pretty cool..
    I did not see it coming, that’s for sure..

I would like to see CC start off with someone else though..
    just a no name, so the casual fans can get excited for him..

• notdanawhite says:

not a good fight for CC, unless he has substantially improved his game. couture would probably just control him and wreck his sh-t with pinned against the cage dirty boxing and then gnp.

couture is smart enough not to just stand there in front of CC.

CC losing to Couture in his return to the UFC in front of a German crowd. Not so good for him.

Great pay day for UFC though.

• kidneybeans says:

I’d love to see this fight. It makes for a very intriguing matchup given CroCop’s recent dismal performances and Randy’s loss to Lesnar. I think Couture would probably be a heavy favorite at this point but I think it would be an exciting fight. They both have a lot to lose it seems, and from that prospective it would seem sad for one of them to tarnish an otherwise solid legacy. But from an entertainment standpoint it sure looks good.

• JDamico23 says:

LOL nobodys picking CC…i wonder if that will hold any water with matchmakers. You gotta figure they wanna build CC up and make him comfortable before setting him up for a difficult fight like this. Id think before you get him up against a cage controller like Randy, you need to let him work some nobodys over and get acclimated again, as i feel he never did in his first stint

• Brandomania says:

So was Cro Cop officially signed to the UFC again? If so, how many fights does he have on this new contract?

• JDamico23 says:

I dont think he was officially signed yet…as you can see from the article this is in no way definate. If randys movie runs long, which it seems most movies do, he wont fight at 99, and id think that CC is fighting there no matter who it is. I just hate this match up, i dont think its very smart.

• s00nertp says:

nice matchup! I love this possibility.. if either one loses, it is a win really.

• GetItOn says:

Dr. Sardonicus –

Randy has 2 fights left on his contract.