Planned Thomson vs. Noons match for April 11 Strikeforce show falls through

Come April 11, Strikeforce will have its lightweight champion Josh Thomson fighting on their first card on Showtime but it will not be against EliteXC lightweight champion K.J. Noons.

Speaking on MMA Weekly Radio, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said that Noons would instead focus on his boxing career for the time being rather than accepting a fight with Thomson. The April 11 card will be broadcast live on Showtime from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

Noons defeated Nick Diaz for the title in November of 2007 in a bout that was stopped due to cuts. He subsequently defeated Yves Edwards in his only title defense. Soon after EliteXC officials wanted to have a rematch between Noons and Diaz which did not sit well with Noons who outright refused to fight Diaz again. Noons and manager Mark Dion stated that Diaz was not the number one contender and also was unhappy that a man he had already defeated was making significantly more money than he was.

Coker went on to mention that Noons will have an open invitation to fight for the organization if and when he decides to resume his mixed martial arts career. He reassured everyone that Thomson will still be fighting on the card.

The veteran promoter is excited and realizes just how valuable Thomson is to Strikeforce and considers him a world class fighter who could take on the top three or four lightweights in the world and certainly hold his own.

Coker also promised that sometime over the next few days the card for the inaugural Showtime card will have more fights added to it.

• egad81 says:

Noons is a coward… he has no boxing career. He just knows he cant beat Josh of Nick Diaz.

• jj says:

I don’t think anyone will be putting KJ in a position to be champion anytime soon, if they do they need to get their head examined. Who wants a champ that won’t defend his belt? Especially when they could have Josh Thomson for champ instead.

• Alpha says:

Just another reason to hate this guy! Refusing to fight Nick was one thing and now this? I hope I never have to hear about this guy again! KJ is a joke.

• Lord Faust says:

When KJ pays his dues in the sport, then he can bitch about money. Acting like a prima-donna after so few fights is just disgraceful. He hasn’t fought anywhere in almost a year; if he never fought MMA again, I doubt anyone would care. I don’t understand his delusions of grandeur regarding his boxing career; I don’t see his name drawing any fans besides his folks.

And wasn’t he stripped of his title before EliteXC folded? So referring to him as the lightweight champ may be incorrect.

• Actually he never was stripped so he will go down as their only lightweight champion.

• CMT says:

I know there were statements made by EliteXC about stripping KJ of the belt, but he was still listed on their belt holders page late last year.

• Lord Faust says:

Someone deleted my previous reply. (If it’s not OK to link to other MMA sites, please let me know. If it’s something else; mods, please let me know, I signed up with a real e-mail address.

Quoting 5oz of Pain own article…. “Having been stripped of the title a month ago”….

No big deal, it’s semantics really. But I’d like to know why my post was deleted…

• TerribleT says:

So what if he ended up being the ELITE XC lightweight after all and he never did get stripped.This will be another punchline for the many jokes that will be associated with the now defunct promotion.KJ Noons as a champion will just add to all of the KIMBO SLICE comedy that already makes the ELITE XC a laughing stock!!!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Yah,Noons ain’t a bitch just yet.
    Let the new Strikeforce champ have some time ,give the promotion time to grow ,then ,if the promotion looks better than KJ’s boxing future.he’ll jump right in.

• JDamico23 says:

I dont really follow noons at all, but this guy sounds like trash for this sport. They should just tell him he can go find other employment.

• JDamico23 says:

He shouldnt have a career to come back to. So far he has won a title then refused to defend it, then got a shot first fight back and wont take it cause he’d rather go to a dead sport.