Levick: Day Dreaming About UFC 100

A dream match between Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin? Why the heck not? It's UFC 100 for crying out loud!

A dream match between Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin? It's UFC Why the heck not? It's UFC 100 for crying out loud!

With UFC 100 now tentatively scheduled for the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on July 11, the much-anticipated event is now finally within grasp.

Even though the UFC has technically promoted over 100 cards, to get to the number 100 in the order of major UFC events is quite the occasion. It’s an occasion that many have high expectations for. An event of such great magnitude is certainly worthy of the UFC pulling out several stops to make it even more special than your typical UFC pay-per-view.

UFC 100 has to be big but that’s easier said than done. However, I have a few ideas regarding matchups that the UFC could conceivably schedule for the momentous occasion:

Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves for the UFC welterweight title: This fight is going to happen the only questions is when? Can they hold it off until July? This would create a rather long layoff for Alves but in the interest of putting on the greatest card of all time how could you not include GSP?

Rashad Evans vs. Rampage Jackson for the UFC light heavyweight title: This can only take place if Rampage defeats Jardine at UFC 96 in March. It would be almost a full year to the day that Jackson lost to Forrest Griffin and watching him finally put an end to Evans unbeaten streak would make me all sorts of warm and fuzzy on the inside!

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson: The head coaches of Team U.K. and Team U.S.A. are going to have to do battle at some point. So why not showcase this highly-anticipated middleweight matchup on such a grand stage? TUF has been such a big part of the UFC’s history so why highlight its influence on one of the biggest cards in company history?

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian for the UFC lightweight title: This is a fight that needs to happen and BJ will have plenty of time to rest up from the beating he suffered at the hands of GSP. He would have 5 months to rest up and be ready for Florian. I realize that this would cause Florian to be put on the shelf for 8 months but maybe they can schedule a tune-up for Florian in the meantime. I doubt he would object to keeping busy.

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: This is a fight that should have happened earlier but Couture walked away, came back and lost to Brock Lesnar. On one side you have the savvy UFC Hall of Famer and on the other you have the grizzled Pride superstar. Two of the best going head to head on a blockbuster card.

Chuck Liddell vs Forrest Griffin: Teacher vs. student. Champion vs. champion. One of the biggest draws of all time going up against one of the biggest draws today. Teacher vs. student, it has all the makings of a classic war. This would be a great test for Griffin after suffering a devastating loss to Evans and it would sell a million PPV’s by itself. I know Liddell is fighting Shogun in March but he has fought on short rest before.

Urijah Faber vs. Miguel Torres: Yes I know, These two are on the WEC roster but I did say this was fantasy didn’t I? Fans have been clamoring for this fight ever since Torres burst onto the scene last year. Two of the most dynamic young guns going head to head in front of 20,000 people. I can see this being the fight of the night.

Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck: These two really need to settle the score. It wouldn’t hurt for Diego to jump back up to 170 for this fight. Their first fight was won by Diego and was very entertaining. Their second fight was as boring as could be and these two deserve another opportunity to show the fans what they can do. Hopefully this time around Diego won’t have a staph infection.

Rich Franklin vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua: A strong and rebuilt Rua against a tough UFC veteran in Franklin. Regardless of what happens in his fight with Liddell, Rua is always going to have his supporters and he would be going up against one of the most popular UFC stars of all time.

Input here is welcomed in the comment thread. Am I crazy or would this not be the most prolific card in UFC history? I was thinking of bringing in some old UFC veterans to add some spice but I think the fights I have listed will do. Let me know what you would do if you could be Joe Silva for a day and book UFC 100.

• Jak says:

I definitely like your ideas, i’m not sure how the timing of having that many 5 round fights would be timing-wise and having fights that have high potential to go the distance (Henderson, Griffin, etc) but if they made it a special presentation it could be one of the greatest MMA events put on.

However, knowing the UFC and it’s ability to not quite live up to what the fans want, crave and would pay hand over fist for… i’ll wait for some announcements before i get to excited…

Good article though.

• baldspot23 says:

ive got an idea…not about the fights but how about they start the pay per view at 7pm and show everysingle fight…then stack the whole event top to bottom

• Rich B says:

I’d hate to see the UFC 101 card if UFC 100 goes down like this. :)

• VENOM says:

I can’t argue with any of your proposed fights, Bry. Every one is a classic, on paper. Let’s hope Dana’a listening.

• s00nertp says:

nice, enjoyed it. cant wait either

• Jonathan Snowden says:

Another loss to Koscheck would be a huge step back for Diego. It is clear that the UFC is looking for Diego to become one of their top guys at 155. Losing to an also-ran at 170 doesn’t help him draw fans at 155.

Not sure anyone would buy the Forrest-Chuck fight as teacher versus student, especially after four years of the two not training or being seen together. I wonder whether that is really a million buy fight right now. Would be a big one, no doubt.

• mu_shin says:

Liddell/Griffin would be a fan favorite, but Forrest is recovering from surgery to repair his broken right hand (cageplay.com, 1/13/09) and will likely be out most of 2009 while it heals.

Certainly think a warmup for Florian before a title shot with BJ Penn in July would also be a fan favorite. Good candidates?

GSP/Alves will be a super-fight. Great champion, first rate challenger.

Huge Uriah Faber fan, and while I think Faber/Torres would be a classic match between two powerful champions in their prime, personally, I’m looking forward to Mike Brown/Uriah Faber II, for the WEC featherweight belt.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but calling Josh Koscheck an “also ran” doesn’t reflect what I saw in the ring against Yoshida. His most recent losses are against the absolute top of the division in GSP and Alves. Also ran?

Fantasy ticket for sure, but would the UFC stack all this talent in one event? Seems like their usual MO is to spread it around over several events, ensuring bigger audiences for multiple PPV’s rather than a huge audience for one.

• YouGotKTFO says:

Hmm I was just thinking… if Jardines DOES beat Rampage, most likely Jardine wont fight Evans. Not to mention Anderson Silva is fighting in April and probably wont take too much damage…….. SIlva vs. Evans for the LHW belt? That would be sick….but then again Jardine has to win.

• benkordus says:

bisping and hendo can stay off of ufc 100.

Kos vs diego can stay off. -that is more of a fight night main event.

I still say florian has to beat sherk to prove he is ready for the big time.

If randy continues to fight it would be stupid not to have him on this event.

I want to see anderson silva on this card. if middleweight…okami is the only candidate. if LHW, bring on the dream matches.

I dont even want to bring this up but, tito could surprise everyone and show up for a match.

I have to say, machida also deserves to be on this card. how about no prelims, and just 8 huge matches?

how about they make history and put this on free TV. the numbers would be at least 5x of their highest rated event.

my 8 cents,

yours,

benji

ps. dare I say the winner of carwin and gonzaga face newcomer overeem?

• PlagueAngel says:

Florian has been dodging the Sherk bullet for months. He has publically stated of MMA Live(ESPN show-which is awesome) that his next fight is BJ. He has also stated that he will not fight Sherk until he has the title. Florian has also stated to me personally that he knows he will fight Sherk again, but not at this time.

• themyth says:

what about saving Lesnar & Mir / diaz vs huerta (huerta’s last hura) and since wand is dropping to 185 have him fight anderson for the 185 title? and what about Kos vs Condit ( if he beats kampman ) – either way great suggestions all around – sould make for a sick event ** p.s ** it’s fun to play Joe Silva isint it

• Ft. Dub says:

We are definitely missing Anderson Silva – since there is no blockbuster at 185, how about him either vs. Evans for the LHW title, or at a catch weight vs. GSP.

And it’s hard to have UFC 100 without the heavyweight champ. How about Lesnar vs. a grizzly bear?

• DH1101 says:

As long as we’re dreaming, how about Anderson Silva vs Lyoto Machida?

• BigDave says:

Ok if we are talking dream matches for UFC 100 i got a few suggestions.

Anderson Silva vs. Lyoto Machida, too of the most ceribral fighters you will ever find that would be the ultimate fight for me.

George St.Pierre vs. Thiago Alves all out war but GSP is not going to lose this fight.

Faber at 155 against Kenflo . would be an awsome fight.

Brock Lesnar vs. Cain valasquez.. Two monsters with great skills.

Rashad Evans vs. Keith Jardine. Great title match up between two guys that know each others skills very well. btw yes that means i think jardine will beat rampage.

And just for shits and giggles…

Gina Carrano vs. Kris Santos Why not make this the first event in a womens division for UFC 100..

I think this would be a great card three 5 rounders Add an hour to the ppv…I love to dream

• JRE says:

Yeah my main complaint is that you have no Anderson Silva.
    I like Anderson vs. Wanderlei
    St. Pierre ( if he takes little damage from Thiago)
    Maia
    Okami
    Bisbing/Henderson
    Rashad (if Jardine Wins and they decide to f*ck Machida again)
    Villasenor
    Luis Cane
    Couture
    or, Myself

• EERS1Fan says:

Sounds like good fights but I’m happy as long as Bisping is left off.

• What’s up EERS nice to see you over here. I know how much you love Bisping but in reality it looks as though he will be fighting Henderson on the UFC 100 card!!