twitter google

HDNet announces agreement to televise Sengoku

HDNet has bolstered its combat sports programming with the addition of World Victory Road’s Sengoku promotion to its diverse lineup.

The announcement that the Japan-based Sengoku will be airing as a part of the high definition cable network’s “HDNet Fights” franchise was made by Kenny Rice during Friday night’s edition of “Inside MMA.”

The broadcast deal between HDNet and Sengoku will commence with March 8’s Sengoku 8 event. It was not announced whether the event will be televised on a live or tape-delay basis.

Sengoku 8 will feature the first round of the promotion’s eight-man, single elimination featherweight tournament. Announced participants include Hatsu Hioki, Marlon Sandro, Chris Manuel, Nick Denis, Ronnie Mann, Masanori Kanehara, Tetsuya Yamada, and Chang Son Jon. The event is also expected to feature a non-tournament bout between light heavyweight sensation Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal and Ryo Kawamura.

The acquisition of Sengoku’s U.S. television rights enhances HDNet’s current combat sports offering that already includes the broadcast rights to the FEG-owned DREAM and K-1 promotions. The network also recently announced deals with the cult favorite Ring of Honor pro wrestling promotion and the Xtreme Fighting Championships, a Tampa-based MMA promotion.

3 COMMENTS
  • kidneybeans says:

    Sweet! When I heard this on HDnet last night I actually cheered out loud and I was alone. I only recognize one or two of the names in the featherweigght tourney so far but I’m sure it will be good to see regardless of big names. With the other featherweight tourneys going on this spring in DREAM and Bellator finding big name guys was never going to be easy.

    Great move for HDnet!

  • Austin says:

    WOW FINALLY. I’ve been having to catch internet streams in korean at 2am. this is awesome.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.