Both St. Pierre and Penn campaign for their feud to become a trilogy

Is the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn saga destined to become a trilogy? If recent comments by both fighters are taken seriously, a third match between the two fighters could take place as soon as this summer.

While a recent guest on Sherdog’s “Beatdown” radio show, St. Pierre responded to reports that Penn’s attorney had submitted a letter to the Nevada State Athletic Commission requesting an investigation as to whether St. Pierre’s corner improperly lubricated his body between rounds during their UFC 94 main event matchup this past weekend.

“It’s disrespectful, but B.J. is a winner,” St. Pierre told Beatdown’s hosts. “I understand a winner’s mentality. A winner’s mentality always tries to understand the reason why he lost. In B.J.’s case, he doesn’t do it in a good way. I understand that he tries to understand why he lost, but what he should’ve done instead of looking at things he doesn’t control he should’ve looked at himself in the mirror and asked himself what he should’ve done better to be more well-prepared for that fight to be able to beat Georges St. Pierre instead of looking at me and try to find excuses… B.J. right now is doing it all wrong and he’s not going to become a better fighter if he keeps acting like this.”

Later St. Pierre was asked as to whether he’d be open to another rematch with Penn. The current UFC welterweight champion refused to back down from a potential challenge.

“Lets go do a rematch with B.J. Penn,” he responded. “We’re going to do it this summer. St. Pierre-Penn III — and this time we’ll wear a rash guard. I guarantee you the result will be the same or even worse for him.”

Penn has responded to St. Pierre’s comments courtesy of his blog on BJPenn.com. And to no one’s surprise, he’s ready for a third go around with St. Pierre.

“For the past several days I have been reading statements made by St. Pierre and Greg Jackson about our fight on January 31,” Penn writes. “St. Pierre claims that he is ‘not a cheater’ and that he and Greg Jackson will have ‘no problem with a rematch in the summer of 2009.’ To the untrained eye the grease might not look like much, but every grappler knows the effect that it has. Being able to apply your submissions and sweeps or just being able to hold on to your opponent to defend yourself from being hit is absolutely critical!

“There is a reason why you are not allowed to put grease anywhere on your body except for the area around your eyes. Because of the grease applied to St.Pierre’s Body the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s executive director, Keith Kizer has stated that the Penn-St. Pierre fight ‘definitely wasn’t fair.’ I hereby accept George St. Pierre and Greg Jackson’s challenge for a fight in the summer 2009. Let’s call Dana now and set it up.”

With St. Pierre having won bouts vs. Penn there might not seem to be an obvious need for a third fight. However, the controversy coming out of their second fight has received a great deal of press, which could present a scenario in which the third fight is bigger than their second. Furthermore, one could make the case that there was little need to promote second and third fights between Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock but because of the public interest surrounding the feud between the two, the box office potential was too much to ignore.

With Dana White having been quoted as saying the company expects St. Pierre vs. Penn II to generate over 1.3 million buys on PPV, the UFC could have a strong interest in promoting another fight between the two. As of now, St. Pierre is considered likely to defend his title next vs. Thiago Alves with Kenny Florian next in line for a shot at Penn’s lightweight title. A strong case could be made that St. Pierre vs. Penn III could outdraw separate PPVs headlined by St. Pierre vs. Alves and Penn vs. Florian combined.

• Shiffy says:

Cool. I say bring it on.

• Denny says:

They both need to defend their belts once before the rematch. But assuming both win, I personally would love to see it.

• Lord RevDawg says:

B.J. is the definition of a sore loser! And now he is revealing the fact that he is a complete retard. Baby-J says it all! Baby-J could train harder than he has ever train in his life and GSP could eat Twenkies until summer and still lose the third match. What is he thinking??? That Maui-Wowie must be better than I thought.

• Witch Doctor says:

this really has gotten ridiculous. unfortunately i see no alternative at this stage since the mud that gets thrown almost always sticks, regardless if it really had any serious impact on the fight whatsoever.

personally i am at a point now where i am sick of hearing about this and it looks as if bj penn seriously believes he was at a major disadvantage (this in itself is a little scary and deluded in my opinion). so…yes…let’s see this fight again. the quicker this gets dealt with the better. i for one wouldn’t mind seeing bj eat heaps of crow again – with all the highly disrespectful things he did prior to the fight, and now this. one this is for sure..he has balls to pull this shit. not only that, he has balls to actually want to step into the cage with rush again after all the stuff he’s said and alleged. wow.

• kingtcb says:

Here we go. Bring on the Penn bashing. Just because you can’t except the fact your hero is a cheater. Not saying the fight may not have gone the same way but with Bj’s ground game he could have easily had a chance to finish that fight with a quick sub no matter how bad he was gettin whooped in the stand up game. But obviously you can hold down a greased up hairless Canadian

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Um, where did Kizer say the fight was “definitely not fair”?

• House says:

If I were Florian or Alves I would be fairly upset. Who are they going to feed to Alves to make sure he gets to St Pierre and what are they going to do, give Sherk to Florian and perhaps end up with Sherk Penn ll. I don’t know, this seems as bad as the Ultimate Fighter taking away top fighters for five months.

• blake says:

ufc is a business. gsp v. penn III would do bigger business than florian & alves. i think the belts should be defended, but that is only my opinion. also, when bj makes excuses it makes him look bad. i like bj as a fighter, but the way he promotes his fights makes me not like him, if that makes any sense.

• ace328 says:

Sam,

I read on another site that supposedly there are no defined rules that can be punished for greasing for the NSAC and that it was more like an unwritten rule. Have you heard anything similar to this?

• submissionist says:

I wanted GSP to win the fight. I went to the event, and I yelled and cheered when he won, demolishing BJ in dominant fashion. However, as a grappler, I must say that the grase on the shoulders of GSP defnitely affect the way the fight develops.- The first time GSP takes BJ to the ground, the first thing BJ does is try to put him in his high guard, and you can easily see his feet slip down to GSP’s waist. I agree that if it was even a good grappler, the outcome wouldn’t have changed, but GSP was fighting against one of the best fighters to apply BJJ to MMA, which means that he can en d the fight from his back the second his roval makes a mistake. I don’t know if the fight should be overturned, but I believe that the whole vaseline thing dulls GSP’s victory, which I hate, and more importantly, it gives BJ the right to a rematch, regardless of the PPV buys, the box office potential and all the other business reasons.

• Guy Gaduois says:

In a related story, the Patriots have asked for another shot at the Giants because their record was “really, really good” up to . . . ahem . . . “that” point last year when they came just short of navigating the perilous waters of victory. “Everyone” knows that they “should have” won.

St Pierre’s “we can wear rashguards” is funny, because I’ve read that everywhere. I have a feeling St Pierre will go too far and soon volunteer to fight blinfolded or in a straightjacket or something.

Tell you what is really fair: Let BJ fight Alves and the winner gets St Pierre in the summer. If it’s going to be an obsession for BJ, he’s got to either hurry up and get the swelling down so he can be medically cleared to fight again very soon or give up the belt and work his way up in welterweight.

Ridiculous behavior. This is like the ‘loved ones’ of those bad contestants on American Idol not telling their little treasures that they should just stick to singing in the car or the shower. If you love someone, you protect their dignity.
    Note to Penn family: Protect BJ’s dignity and his health. Help him say no to ritual beatings. Move along, kids.

• Cpt.K says:

After having visited several MMA forums and read numerous – and utterly ridiculous – comments made by both BJ and GSP fans with blinded insights, I feel compelled to make one last comment and lay this vasoline incident to rest. First off, there is no question that Phil Nurse applied vasoline to GSP`s face and subsequently rubbed his shoulders and upper middle-back between the shoulder blades… the cameras saw it…we all saw it. However, we also witnessed the NSAC rep wipe GSP down with a towel, removing both vasoline and sweat off of his back. They – the NSAC – repeated this between each round thus nullifying any advantage greasing might have given to GSP. PERIOD! Secondly, if you go back and watch the footage – as I have several times – it is evident that P. Nurse applied the majority of vasoline on his fighter`s face before rubbing his temples, shoulders and upper-middle back. There simply wasn`t enough lubricant to make it an affective cheat tool. Now focusing on the location where the vasoline was applied, namely, the back where it could seriously affect one`s guard, it is clear that in BJ`s case it was a none issue. Why? Because the only place Nurse touched GSP – on the back – was in the upper region between the shoulder blades where it would affect BJ`s infamous rubber guard. Yet the only time BJ used his rubber guard was during GSP`s 1st successful takedown, other than that it was none existent (not to mention GSP postured up to negate BJ`s rubber guard). To make the greasing effective P. Nurse would have needed to grease GSP`s lats forcing BJ`s calves to slip each time he was in guard – especially high guard. Again, if you watch the fight carefully you`ll notice that BJ is rarely in that position and that GSP is constantly working on pushing BJ`s left leg down to gain side control.
    I`m not here to argue whether Nurse`s intentions where fair or foul – it`s stupid to speculate without concrete proof – though I hope for GSP`s reputation that Nurse did it unintentionally.
    The facts are simple: yes, Nurse touched him with a greasy hand, but no, it wasn`t done in such a way which would give GSP a clear advantage.
    In my humble opinion, I believe BJ is searching for an answer that would explain his devastating loss to a guy he near decisioned a few years back… and being the ultra-competitive person that he is, I don`t blame him (though now he should just suck it up and accept the loss like the true champ that he is!).
    Furthermore, I find it pathetic that former champions like Hughes and Serra would choose this moment to come out and make accusations against GSP when it would`ve been more advantagous from them – and the sport – to have brought it up during their bouts!
    Lastly, if the investigation into the greasing incident comes up clean I see absolutely no reason why Dana White would allow a GSP/Penn 3 fight to transpire.

• persian_prince says:

wow, bj is really pathetic. i cant believe i was ever a fan of him. he is still a great fighter to watch (not fighting gsp) but after his recent behavior and excuses i will never be able to enjoy his fights again

• ace328 says:

I think if BJ plans to fight GSP next he needs to vacate the LW belt immediately and let Florian & someone else (Sanchez vs Sherk to decide?).

• JR says:

I don’t think the miniscule amount of residual vaseline that might have been on GSP actually affected the outcome at all. Having said that, the fact that it was there could have affected the outcome. I think they should have a rematch, GSP would destroy BJ again. I like BJ and I think his concerns are completely legit. I don’t think he believes it cost him the fight, but I think he believes it contributed to the complete domination of him by GSP and he might have a point. Again, I believe that GSP would destroy him in a rematch, but it seems the most fair way to clear up any doubt about GSP’s win and help clear his name.

• Sam Caplan says:

Is anyone listening to Joe Rogan on “The Bubba the Love Sponge Show?” If someone has a transcription, can you please forward it to me?

• ACK! says:

No interest in this fight. I thought the mathup was a ruse from the beginning that looked good on paper, but it was pretty clear to me that the fight wasn’t going to live up to the hype. It made a bunch of money, so it served it’s purpose. Now can we get back to fleshing out the respective weight classes? Both of these guys have contenders that are far more deserving of a shot at their belts than they deserve each other.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

A third fight makes total sense. It would get rid of the vaseline controversy while making big money. I am one of those who expects another big win for GSP. In that event, no one would take seriously any trash talk or whining from Baby J.

But if Penn were to win, especially with a submission from his back, a lot of people would have to perform some serious mental gymnastics.

• JOe K. says:

they better give those No. 1 contenders a shot first.

• hiss says:

wow apparently whining like a baby works.bj will get another thorough beating i hope it does`nt happen,he does`nt deserve it.

• Grappo says:

No interest in seeing this whatsoever. Or any fight with BJ at anything other than LW. I agree with what Sam said in another article. Fighting at LW forces him to be in shape. He can’t be trusted to put in the work otherwise.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Cpt.K, that was thoughtful and insightful, said with dignity. I can only respond with the appropriate response that the average poster on this board has the mental acuity to convey:
    Do you want fries with that?

I agree with you on every point made. Your sound logic, calm observation and careful account would have served you well in any era. Most of those eras would have found you imprisoned, beaten or tortured by the unreasoning, flat earth believing, frenzied mob; but hey, it was nice knowing you.

Good job, Cpt.K

• JDamico23 says:

“I have a feeling St Pierre will go too far and soon volunteer to fight blinfolded or in a straightjacket or something.”
    -I think id still take Georges.

No seriously…Im starting to lose my belief that MMA is becoming more and more legitimate. How can it be regarded as legitimate if two belts get defended one time in a year. If i were Florian and Alves and Dana told me i had to wait another 7/8 months for a title shot, id be asking for a formal release or something. I think its disrespectfull to deny these two fighters a shot they earned, certainly more than BJ earned a 3rd loss to GSP. BJ doubled as a canvas mop in their 2nd fight, so ill just assume thats going to happen again. Plus all the GIFS i saw showed BJ going for high gaurd, and not being able to hook his ankles around GSP’s shoulders and lats, and the results of the efforts of him trying to shove his feet together carried his legs down to the waist, along with GSP posturing and what not. Now i like GSP, he isnt my favorite fighter, and in fact i absolutely hated him back when he was a cocky annoying assclown. Now he’s a humble champ, and i really have no personal doubt that he didnt cheat, and i agree with the idea that there was probably no vas left when Nurse got around to the back. And if the NSAC rep was wiping GSP between every round, wouldnt he have sweated out the residue? not to mention BJ was getting a towled off, dry GSP at every beginning of the round? I dont know…im just tired of always hearing controversy when it comes to mma and its big fighters…

• BigDave says:

so penn wants another shot at “the greatest fighter of all time?” Sure he can have another shot if he starts at the bottom of the 170lbs division and fight his way to the #1 contender spot. So if he is successful in doing so we may see that fight in 4-5 years from now. I will tell you now that florian needs to not only ask for but demand a fight with Penn by no latter then june or that penn be publically stripped of the title and it be put up for the top 2 conteders at that time to fight for it. the same should go for st.pierres title aswell. Although it wont happen because GSP has far to much respect for the sport and for his belt to ever give it up without a fight. that is something that cant be said fo penn.

• starvenger says:

WRT Penn’s comment about Kizer saying the the fight “definitely wasn’t fair”, I think he’s taking it slightly out of context to back his statements. The article was from MMAJunkie’s John Morgan and has these lines:

Kizer admits he’s still uncertain whether the corner men were simply careless in their actions or if they had hoped to gain an advantage by making St. Pierre’s back slippery.

“It wasn’t necessary,” Kizer said. “It definitely wasn’t fair to Mr. Penn. I don’t think it was even fair to Mr. St. Pierre.

Now I believe that the second line is in reference to Phil Nurse’s actions and not the fight as a whole. I base that on the fact that “it” he was talking about is the vaseline. He never outright states that the fight was not fair. With that said, the use of “it” can lead to interpretations like B.J.’s camp but I still think that that is an incorrect assumption on their part.

• Cathedron says:

I dunno… sounds like GSP is genuinely getting angry at Penn. I think BJ might want to rethink all this. A calm, cool, calculating GSP nearly killed BJ. What will an angry GSP do to him? You realize that if BJ loses yet again and has no excuses to fall back on he’ll probly just kill himself.

Seriously though, I’ve watched it a few times. GSP’s cornerman should really get in trouble for that. It was a miniscule amount of grease and it wouldn’t have affected the outcome in the least, but it was still improper protocol.

• jj says:

““There is a reason why you are not allowed to put grease anywhere on your body except for the area around your eyes.” – BJ

By BJ’s very own definition he also used Vaseline illegally when the cutman applied Vaseline to BJ’s chin during the prep for the opening round. While this isn’t BJ’s fault one could surely argue it is nearly the same bullshit scenario that GSP is being put through. Sure BJ didn’t put that Vaseline on his chin, but he won’t stop shouting about how GSP is responsible for what happened with his Vaseline mishap.

I look forward to GSP vs. BJ III – The Destruction of BJ Penn. Who knows maybe BJ will put down the Pringles for a few minutes and actually train.

• Joker10 says:

Cpt.K your post hits the nail on the head.

i am sick to death of this topic, seriously BJ just continue your legacy as the greatest 155er of all time and stop making excuses for every loss…..

if this fight happens i truly hope that GSP puts him out of his misery and retires him for good.

• Ft. Dub says:

What a waste of time for two fighters and two divisions to have a trilogy. I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ONE PERSON SAY THIS CHANGED THE FIGHT!!! Then why would we want to watch another beat down? It is pointless to see BJ manhandled again by a guy he simply isn’t good enough to beat.

I feel sorry for BJ’s face if his machismo forces this fight to happen.

• mindone says:

LAME!

why does bj want to get his ass kicked again?

the fight was a mismatch the first time.. alves deserves a shot and it’d be a much better fight …

bj should stay in the lightweight division and stop being such an ego maniac who can’t objectively accept the fact that gsp is the better man and he’s now the one acting like a b*tch..

• Austin says:

I doubt anyone is interested in seeing round 3

• paddiosf says:

I’m kind of over BJ/GSP, I think it would be a diservice to Alves and Florian who are sittiing Idol and waiting for a chance at the respected titles..Its done And the UFC will “Milk the Chance at another Huge PPV buy” its BS and I hope it happens after they defend the tiltes…Late Fall 2009…

• blake says:

bj didn’t impress me enough against gsp for me to get too excited for another round. He’d have to do something to make me think he could actually have a chance. Maybe if they do another primetime where he looks like the one working out and GSP is the one goofing off.

• GetItOn says:

I’d watch part three for sure. It’s always nice to see two really good fighters go at it. Remember that Wanderlei beat Rampage twice before Page knocked Silva out in the UFC. People were excited to see that 3rd fight. Why not this one? Especially when it was a controversial loss, regardless of who is right and who is wrong on the whole vaseline case.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

After watching Part 2 a few more times ,I’m pumped to say one great fighter dominated another great fighter.
    GSP is still growing at 170,BJ Penn has officially entered Hughes, Serra territory at 170.
    I think the major factor in the fight ,even bigger than the grease,was the CARDBOARD FAN.
    Are you kidding me,GSP’s corner uses holistic techniques in between rounds,while BJ’s corner uses a piece of garbage?
    BJ’s the king of 155.
    Looking forward to seeing him fight Florian,but come on Brahs,keep the garbage in the recycling bin.

• Rich S. says:

There really is no point in a rematch..

I don’t really have bias towards either of these guys,
    But GSP is much bigger, much stronger, and simply better at that weight..

If they fought 10 more times Penn would only win once, with a staggering puch..

Bj’s really starting to piss me off,
    he needs to STAY at LW, or go fight somewhere else..

I mean, Good Lord, WHAT’S SO BAD ABOUT STAYING AT A WEIGHT AND BEING DOMINANT? geeze…