Recent Penn interview leaves uncertainty about future in fighting

UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn has stayed out of the public eye for the most part since losing this past Saturday at UFC 94 to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre via fourth round TKO.

Penn is believed to be keeping a low profile as he prepares for the possibility of filing a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission in regard to allegations that St. Pierre’s corner applied Vaseline to his neck, shoulders, and chest between the first and second as well as second and third rounds.

However, soon after arriving home to his native Hilo, Hawaii, Penn conducted a brief interview with hometown television station KHON in which he left some uncertainty in regards to whether he will continue his fighting career.

“I have no clue what is going on in my head right now,” Penn told the station. “I was going to make this my last fight and finish up fighting GSP. In my head, I was with [the UFC] for nine or ten years and I kind of just wanted to be finished with this whole thing after this. So I don’t know where my head is right now.”

The loss to St. Pierre dropped Penn’s record as a welterweight in the UFC to 1-3 and creates the likelihood that he will return to the UFC’s lightweight division if he chooses not to retire. If Penn returns, his next fight will likely be a title defense against number one contender Kenny Florian.

• Bear says:

Bye Bye Penn, been nice knowing ya.

Went out with a bang. Just too bad it was upside yer head.

No joking the sport will be losing a very good fighter if he does retire.

• ACK! says:

It’s weird how Penn seems to have no interest in fighting Florian at all. But this doesn’t suprise me. We all saw St. Pierre dominate a fight against a guy who didn’t look like he wanted to be there. That’s what disappointed me more than anything about UFC 94.

However, Penn is a fighter who does it because he wants to and he relys on his passion to dedicate himself to the sport. Take that away and you just have a guy who is fighting because he is good at it.

• dpk says:

I think BJ’s ego took the worst beating of any part of him against GSP. He has always had the “I wasn’t really training right” excuse built in, but now he doesn’t have that anymore. I personally hope this isn’t the end, I would love to see him fight KenFlo, Sanchez (now that he is at 155), and also down the road guys like Miller, Diaz, Maynard, and Griffin. Not to mention that potential fights with Aoki, Alverez, and JZ would be awesome.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Didn’t Penn beat Ludwig at 170?

• BigDave says:

BJ Penn retiring would be the best thing to hit mma ever. but i dont want him to do it just yet. i want to see him go and fight Kenflo get submitted in the first round then cry like the little bitch he is and retire in front of everyone to see. to watch him as a broken man would be fabulous to see.

• Lord Faust says:

BJ has all the signs of a manic personality. He’ll be back, guaranteed. He’s too good at it to walk away right now, IMO.

• mindone says:

he’ll be back..
    do you think that guy with that ego is going to end on a loss and sit with that for the rest of his life?
    not a chance.. he’ll fight again..

• DamonO says:

Sergio Hernandez on February 4th, 2009 12:10 pm said:

“Didn’t Penn beat Ludwig at 170?”

• Golion says:

penn needs to chill till ufc 100 and beat ken flo.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“That was K1-MMA Romanex, May 22, 2004 and I’m unsure of the weight at that event. Likely 170”

I just remember his second fight with Pulver being touted as his returned to 155 since his demolition of Gomi in Hawaii.

More research is to be done!

• Cathedron says:

I rarely, if ever, get emotional about stuff like this, but I watched that interview just a minute ago and just got really pissed off with BJ Penn. Seriously, is he bi-polar? BJ’s mind has always been his biggest weakness and I don’t think his family or training camp are keeping him focused (or medicated, as the case may be). He greatly overhypes himself before a fight and then spirals into depression every time he loses. Worse yet, he just establishes himself in the LW division and immediately wants more. Now the spoiled little bitch is all depressed that he isn’t the #1 P4P fighter in the world. What? Being the #1 LW isn’t good enough? GSP got all his respect by cleaning out his division, not by constantly challenging fighters outside his weight class. You’re the LW champ in a division that’s stacked with contenders. Suck it up and get back to work.

I swear if BJ quits and robs Florian of his well-deserved title shot, I’m going to lose it. No matter what, I’m completely behind Florian as of now. He’d make a better champ anyway what with his emotional stability and all. He should have no trouble against BJ. Just wait for him to start crying and then punch him in the face.

• James says:

ya him “keeping a low profile” has nothing to do with the beating he took and all the shit he talked and now doesnt want to face the mike…he’s an egomaniac…let him go back to paradise and let all his ego strokers and enablers lick his wounds…i lost tremendous amounts of respect for him after all of this and think it will affect the rest of his career

• Austin says:

lol, he was going to pull a randy.

• Erik Danielsen says:

I watched the fight with anticipation, I wanted GSP to win but was 45 55 for GSP. I was so happy to see Bjs ass handed to him after all that bitch talking he did. I think Bj is a great fighter, but I also he has no respect for his fellow fighter. That sucks.
    Bj suck it up, be more honorable and move on,you are great in your weight category.
    Bottom line, do you talking in the ring , train harder, and don’t use excuses every time you lose. Plus I can’t see you losing that bad again in your proper place.
    FIGHT ON

• JDamico23 says:

While i agree MMA would be losing a “talent” if he retired, it would be a talent that depends on ego, and whether or not he wants to try. BJ is a shite human being IMO. I think he has some depression issues to deal with, and i think he needs to sit and think about whether or not this is fun to him anymore. If he loved doing what he was doing he would never say anything like that. Chuck got put to sleep in his last loss, embarrassing, eye opening…Did he say anything about wanting to retire? no cause he loves to fight and make us happy. BJ is a punkass with a shitty attitude and id love to see him go.

Once again this opinion not based on his talent as a fighter.