Brady: Finally Machida will be forced to fight

There are many words that have been used to describe Lyoto Machida over the course of the thirty year old Brazilians mixed martial arts career. Words like elusive, evasive, unorthodox, slippery and I have even heard him being described as an artist of sorts. A master technician, a professor in the cage. He just may be all of those things.

On the flip side of that coin there are others that would be quick to describe Machida as overly defensive, boring, excessively conservative and downright hard to watch. Quite frankly there are many that would compare watching Machida fight to watching paint dry. I will freely admit that I stand firmly on this side of the coin for now.

Machida is the kind of fighter that just forces you to love or hate the guy. His countering style of fighting has worked wonders for him up until this point in his career, enabling him to compile an extremely impressive record of 13-0 against some very tough opposition. I guess that’s my main problem with Machida. His opposition. His elusive, awkward style has given everyone that has stepped up to Machida absolute fits but as the saying goes and has gone, styles make fights. I anticipate that Silva’s style will make this fight and finally force the crafty karate master to really, truly dig down and fight.

I was blown away by the critical acclaim that Machida received upon his decision victory over a long unimpressive Tito Ortiz. Does beating Tito Ortiz prove that you are among the top dogs in the UFC’s light heavyweight division? I should hope not. Of course the win over Ortiz wasn’t Machida’s first barbecue, he had beaten big names before, but how relevant were those wins? Lets take a really quick look at some of the key wins over the course of the career of the man they call “The Dragon” through the eyes of a skeptic.

Let’s start from the bottom and work our way up.

In September of 2003 Machida faced off with Stephan Bonnar at the very first Jungle Fight event in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The bout was Bonnar’s fifth fight but it was only Machida’s second. I’ll give it to Machida in this one. He controlled the fight with his counter strikes and managed to stop Bonnar due to cuts in the very first round. An impressive win over a dangerous fighter but both men were inexperienced at the time in the grand scheme of things and so much can change over the course of five or six years.

Just three months later Machida secured one of the biggest and most referenced wins of his career when he stopped Rich Franklin in Japan. I’ve got nothing here. Big win for Machida considering that he convincingly stopped Franklin with a flurry of strikes early in the first round of this bout. At the time, Franklin was riding a thirteen fight win streak with a pair of UFC victories to his credit and it was just Machida’s third professional fight. All I’ve got here is that Machida had fought in Japan once before and Franklin had not. The Ace was just suffering from those nasty pre Japan fight jitters and it was over five years ago! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Seriously though, big win for Machida but it really was a long time ago and it has been a long time since Machida has looked as impressive as he did against Franklin. Actually, I don’t think Machida has ever looked as impressive as he did that night in Japan.

Of course in March of 2005 Machida was able to edge out B.J. Penn in a decision victory. Let’s be real, B.J. Penn is amazing. The man’s an absolute phenom but he is currently UFC’s lightweight champion. That’s a natural difference of about 50 pounds. Additionally, Penn was at the lowest point of his career and went on to lose two of his next three bouts. Moving on.

Now on to Machida’s more recent and to me, most relevant fight history. In July of 2006 Machida was able to defeat Vernon White in an extremely uneventful unanimous decision. Vernon White is truly on of the pioneers of the sport and has been around for what seems like forever but the man has a record of 26-32-2. White went on to lose four of his next five fights and was TKO’d in his last two losses.

UFC debut time. Machida stepped in against Sam Hoger at UFC 67 and came away with yet another decision victory. Machida met Hoger smack dab in the middle of a three fight skid. In Hoger’s next fight he was actually choked out by the previously noted Vernon White but Machida, for whatever reason, could not seal the deal when he met up with Hoger who has never been at the top of the food chain at 205 by any standards.

April 2007, UFC 70, Machida comes away with yet another lackluster decision victory, this time over David Heath. Including the loss to Machida, Heath has lost four of his last five fights. He was finished in every one of those losses, outside of his decision loss to Machida of course.

Machida was able to obtain his next decision win in against the seasoned Kazuhiro Nakamura. Again, the loss to Machida was sandwiched between two other losses for Nakamura. Nakamura has been finished in six of his nine losses.

Next we have a semi impressive victory over Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Sokoudjou had two enormous wins in Pride FC over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona but has since fizzled out. Sporting a record of 5-4, Sokudjou has been exposed as a one, or should I say two hit wonder, most recently being submitted by Renato “Babalu” Sobral at the Affliction: day of Reckoning event. I’ll give Machida his props in this one, he finished Sokoudjou off with a nasty arm triangle choke but it’s that finishing ability that has been so far in between for the ultra strategic Machida.

Finally we have the big kahuna tuna of Machida’s victories,. the prized gem of his supporters argument that he deserves to be considered among the best at 205. I ask why. When was the last time that Tito Ortiz scored a relevant impressive victory in his career? In my estimate, Tito hasn’t beaten a top ten fighter since his win over Vladimir Matyushenko way back in 2001. I’ll say that again to get my point across. Tito hasn’t beaten a top ten fighter in close to eight years so how could he be considered among the top in his division? My answer, he couldn’t and the excruciatingly boring win over Ortiz answered absolutely none of the questions that I had about Machida and his unorthodox fighting style.

Fortunately for myself, Silva possesses the exact style in the cage that is sure to answer all of the questions that there are to ask about Machida. Silva will provide the relentless aggressiveness that it will take to force a master strategist like Machida to sink his feet down in the sand at some point and actually fight. Really, truly fight. Silva will leave him no option in the matter.

Machida has the unique ability to force his opponents to fight at his pace. His southpaw stance and unusual fighting style keeps his opponent guessing and takes away his opponents’ abilities to implement their game plans. Silva will not afford him the same luxury.

Silva possesses the kind of tenacity and killer instinct that fighters that get their start at the notorious Chute Boxe Academy are known for. The twenty six year old Curitiba, Brazil native comes out like a whirlwind in all of his fights and is like a shark once he smells blood. On top of his capacity to swarm with precision, Silva holds a black belt in jiu-jitsu. A tool that he rarely opts to use in the cage but an extremely relevant tool to possess, without question. The unique blend of strengths make him a threat to anyone he faces and Machida is no exception to the rule.

• Chuck says:

AWESOME!

I love this article. This is a great response to how people get carried away proclaiming X or Y fighter is the most amazing by simply looking at their record- on the surface. There’s one thing that a lot of people ignore is that a fighter can look awesome when facing sub-par or lesser opponents. They can take more chances, show off more moves etc. There’s timing of fights too. In today’s MMA it’s pretty useless to cite fights that happened even 1 or 2 years ago, let alone 5 or more, as relevant when things are evolving at this pace.

To be honest, I’d like to see an article like this written about BJ Penn. Yes he’s skilled and talented and all that. I just look at who he’s faced, when he’s faced them, and how things turned out. Is his record really all that great? Is Penn just another Machida?

For the record: I don’t mind Machida at all. I obviously didn’t think he was amazing or anything but I find it refreshing seeing fighters like him, or Karo, that incorporate more traditional martial arts techiques, effectively, that are lesser used by most fighters. There’s lots of room for guys like that in the UFC.

• brandnewpride36 says:

This is easily one of the best write ups that i have read that deals with the “machida divide.” great read and i can’t wait to see Machida legitimately tested by a fighter who pushes the pace.

Once again, great read.

• Rich S. says:

I just want to see Machida finish a little more..
    I mean, we know he has it in him, he freaking brutalized Franklin and Bonnar back in the day..
    Where’d that go?
    Why can’t he do that any more?
    It IS ridiculous, no matter how skillful he is, that he can’t finish these fights..

I think Silva MAY help Machida speed up a bit, but i DON’T think Silva has a chance at winning..

If Machida actually DOESN’T win by DECISION, then i’m calling a headkick in the 2nd round.

• Imbecile says:

Nice article Cory.

I wanted to add something about the Rich Franklin fight at the Inoke Bom-Ba-Yee event. Rich Franklin’s trainers had previously stated that he had the flu, and had a temperature of over 103 degrees the day of that fight, but that Rich refused to back down. When Rich was asked about this, he vehemently said that he doesn’t make excuses, EVER, and that he doesn’t want his trainers making excuses for him. Since that time, nobody from his camp has talked about this, presumably at Franklin’s request.

Now, I’m not offering this as conclusive proof, or because I have a man-crush on Franklin, or because I simply despise Machida and can’t give him his due. I just offer it for what it is. Rich has a history of never disclosing any possible injury excuse because he has said that it is disrespectful, since he chose to fight. So I don’t doubt this story, but we may never know, since Franklin has evidently put a gag order on his team from revealing what was going on with him that night.

Maybe Machida really did just get the best of Franklin and completely dominate him, even if Rich was at his best. But maybe Franklin was incredibly sick, and that explains some of the performance of both men. We may never know, but I just thought I’d share.

• freedom fighter says:

not going to happen buddy machida is going to lull his way through this fight as well,i think i have had more fun watching paint dry,hopefully he gets clocked with a bug punch to his head and maybe it rattles his ears abit….no one goes undefeated forever.and this guy is no different.he will eventually get his trust that…i just can’t wait to see that.

• Jason says:

Nice article, but I think you are off the mark none the less. Love him or hate him Machida is great at finding openings and Thiago Silva is constantly open to being hit. Thiago looked to take the fight to the ground when overwhelmed by Irvin and Mendes and they werent as accurate of strikers as Machida is. I dont doubt Silva is going to pressure Machida but I think you are seriously overestimating his tools to do damage and not get critically hit on the feet.

Machida wants this fight, he knows it is good for him. Thiago’s best weapon so far in his career has been the mount, and Machida might be able to hang with him step for step on the ground. When they offered Machida a replacement fight when Thiago was hurt he turned it down and said he would wait for Machida, I think we are about to see why he is so eager for this fight.

• McEwen says:

Like Jason said, Silva leaves himself way to open to an accurate counter puncher with his attack. If he flies at Machida, then Machida will pick him a part.

Once he tastes Machida’s power – and he does have power when he lets it go – he’ll want to take the fight down. Only problem with that is that wrestling is the most underrated part of Machida’s game – his wrestling is good.

And, if Silva is actually able to take him down, Machida’s jiu jitsu is at the same level that his is.

Machida is a bad match up for anyone, but especially for a fighter like Silva.

• TK says:

First off good article… and I’ll let it be known I am a fan of Machida…. Silva does posses a threat to Machida but i still see Machida winning by dec… this is how I see the fight going down: Silva rushes in trying to overwhelm Machida, Machida dodges while landing 1-3 punches…. Silva doesnt rush Machida scores with leg and head kicks….. Silva’s best opportunity is getting Machida in the clinch where Machida can’t move

• JOe K. says:

This is going to be a super interesting fight.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Machida leaves the nay-sayers stumped. Maybe he’ll divert from his game plan due to fighting an extremely aggressive fighter.

Love him or hate him. How much press has he gotten compared to other fighters? Tons. He is such a controversial fighter people both love him and hate him. This controversy is building his star power. People know the name Machida and whether or not they love him or hate him people will tune into watch him.

A few things Machida has on his side, he keeps winning, Rogan respects his style and will give him praise during the fight so fans will be more likely to appreciate his style.

I can’t predict this fight or the GSP fight. I want Machida and GSP to win very very badly but I can’t say for certain who will win for either fight.

I can’t wait till Saturday. I wish I could get put into a coma until the event starts. This nervousness is killing me.

• Rich S. says:

“Brady your a retard, if you think Machidas so boring then why don’t you step in the ring and fight the guy, because im sure you’ll be able to finish him. Why don’t you get of your ass, get a real job, and stop chirping this man when hes done more in his life then you. Fedor!!!1”

Wow,
    you just summed yourself up in two sentences..

Why is it that in the fight game, if you put someone down in any way, there’s always that ONE asshole that just HAS TO SAY: “Well why don’t you fight him?”

I can’t even muster up the words right now to describe how utterly stupid that is.

• G-DUB says:

Strong article Cory …. an enjoyable read. Whether one agrees with you viewpoint or not, your arguements are well-conceived.
    I’m looking forward to this fight more than I am the GSP/Penn fight …. basically for all of the questions it should answer about the makeup of both fighters. It has the makings of an extremely entertaining fight.

• Stan says:

I don’t agree with the comment on Tito Ortiz as being “long unimpressive.” We are talking about the guy who would have outpointed Rashad Evans (#1 LHW in the world according to this very website) had it not been for a controversial point deduction for fence grabbing. Not to belabor that deducted point though, the fact is Ortiz had a 3 round draw with the guy who would be #1 LHW in the world 15 months later. If that’s unimpressive, then I guess we’re holding him to a pretty unrealistic standard.

His fight before that was only for the LHW title against Chuck Liddell. Dana White, for his own personal reasons, enjoys pointing out that Ortiz hasn’t beaten anyone his last 3 fights. I think him screaming this at press conferences and interviews for so long makes people forget the caliber of fighters he was facing, and that one could make a strong case he beat Evans.

Anyway, the point is, Machida’s win over Ortiz is a much bigger win than this article gives it credit for being. I think it was a great technical display, but I personally cannot stand Machida’s style. Silva has said he’s not going to play Machida’s game and chase him around the cage. If he stands in the center, and makes Machida bring the fight to him, he has a chance.

• Mike Wolfe says:

The criticism of Machida reminds me of the criticism of Rashad Evans–boring, can’t finish–and now he’s the champ. Despite all the rationalizations about Machida’s wins, he’s still undefeated and has faced top-notch fighters who are better than those whom Silva has faced. Everybody’s entitled to an opinion about which fighters they like and why, but it’s delusional to argue against Machida’s proven record. And unless he suffered brain damage since his last fight, he should fight Silva the same way he’s fought everybody else.

• Juniper says:

Good write up and a hard decision on picking a winner, i think Silva will utilize the cage and try to corner machida into a position where he cannot run and gun. I am going to say this one is not going to make it past rd 2 because Silva will come with a killer instinct that no other fighter has, and who knows maybe Machida has one but hasn’t yet utilized it enough to feel truly comfortable (his style is to not take damage, as if his opponent was carrying a weapon). All i know is i’m pumped for this weekend.

On another random note i wonder how the character for Machida will be in the game?

impossible to hit and the most frustrating opponent, lol i can’t wait for that game either

• mu_shin says:

Well stated Cory. I always appreciate a fact-based approach to fight analysis.

Lyoto Machida is uncategorically among the most technically proficient, highly skilled, and well rounded martial artists to ever enter a ring or cage.

When this sport began, before it morphed into a television friendly hybrid, it was all about pitting styles against one another, to demonstrate which systems held a strategic and tactical advantage in actual combat. While your analysis tends to minimize Machida’s accomplishments, you cannot deny that he trained for those fights, he showed up ready to engage, and he has been successful in every encounter. While his opposition may not hold up in your judgement to some imagined ideal standard, Machida stood up to his opponents in the ring, and vanquished them every time. His style has proven itself to this point in his career, and whether or not you judge it to be “exciting” or “boring”, or whatever pejorative you want to apply, Machida is a winner. His style, in actual combat, has overcome all of his opponents.

We could discuss for hours the various philosophies of martial arts as applied to MMA, but in this blog format, what I want to communicate is my appreciation for Machida’s application of real, effective, demonstrable martial arts technique in the MMA ring. You find it as exciting as paint drying, I find it amazing to watch someone who can interpret an opponent’s movements consistently through a fight and anticipate with great accuracy where and when an attack is coming, and deal with it accordingly. That is a huge part of what martial arts as a survival skill is all about: don’t get hit, and hit back. Again, you disparage the victory over Ortiz, and Stan’s points above are directly to the point, but did you see Ortiz’s face after that fight? You don’t think that was indicative of a successful attack? No, it did not end in a highlight reel knockout, but I’m thinking in the old original format, no rounds, no time limit, Machida walks out of that cage, and Ortiz is lying on the mat unable to leave the field of battle.

Yes, I’m a fan, but I’m also trying to apply logic and reason to my argument. I think Thiago Silva is a great young fighter, and he has good skills. I also think his approach, as demonstrated in previous matches, is tailor made for Machida. If Thiago, as he has stated in the posts I’ve read, comes relentlessly forward and aggressively charges Machida, I think it ends where all Machida’s fights have ended, with Lyoto’s hand raised. I agree that this is a watershed fight for both of these guys, and really look forward to this war of opposing styles. As a fan, I’d like to see Machida win, but as an MMA fan, whoever walks out of this one undefeated deserves respect and the next shot at the light heavyweight title.

• JonfromOregon says:

This is kinda silly. Every fighter has to grow at some point and Machida has fought big names since he began and beat them. He can be very boring but who isnt boring fighting a Hoger or Ortiz unless your Liddel. Forests fight with Ortiz wasnt that great to watch and Ortiz won. Rashads fight with Ortiz was boring and Ortiz was going to win. Styles make fights and when you get an aggressive fighter that comes after Machida he makes them look silly like when he was throwing around Tito. 13-0 is impressive and yes Sokojou has lost some steam but he still turns in a fiery 1st round everytime, he just has holes. Rashad has not been that exciting in a lot of his wins. But we only remember the huge nasty knockouts.Machida even being boring at time is around the top of the division. Machida beats Silva Saturday just wait.

• wanderlei says:

i totally disagree with you. The guy is winning fights. just because he does not KO his oppenents doesnt mean he is boring. put some money on him and you’ll be cheering your ass off for machida.

• Bullylover says:

I hope Silva is able to push machide to his limits. while i’m not a fan of Machida he has done a nice job of eluding all of his past opponents. Hopefully Silva can expose his chin.Even the spider silva is dissapointed in how machida performs. If Machida want the next title shot he’ll need to step his game up and finish it. Nobody wants to watch a boring Champion let alone fighter.

• King Solomon says:

I hate Machida. He is soooo boring to watch. i hope Silva Smashes him and then ufc discards him. He never can pull the trigger. Alot of decions onb his lame resume.

• Brett says:

Great read. And I completely agree that Silva is going to test Machida. Silva needs to use his footwork to take Machida’s backtreading and put him into the cage.. here Silva can utilize his strikes in the clench and if he really needs to.. take the fight to the ground and show off his jitz.
    But as it’s already been said.. I don’t believe Machida will get away with squeezing out another decision.

BTW I would like to see a few more articles like this. I think opinion peices are great to read as long as there is substantial support of the writers opinion in the article. Thanks Cory!

• platypus says:

i think machida is going to beat thiago silva easily. i think machidas real test will come against rampage griffin or evans. he is easily one of most skilled fighters in all of mma, if not the 2nd or 3rd most skilled fighter in ufc after gsp and anderson silva. id like machida to finish more of his fights more though, it just takes him so long to start to pick apart his opponents.

• Clayton Biggsbee says:

The guy is a good fighter, no question about it. But I’d like to see him finish fights. 8 of his 13 fights have been won by decision. Someone who is vying for a belt should leave no question that he is the #1 contender and finishing people is a good way to do that. Other than submitting a very green (and overrated) Sokoudjou, he hasn’t finished anyone in almost 5 years.

• Grappo says:

Interesting article. I would have titled it “Finally Machida will fight deserving competition.”

Silva will be his biggest challenge in years, but I don’t know that he is going to force Machida to fight outside of his normal style. I hope he does though. I’m a huge Machida fan, but I also know he has the ability to be much more dominant and aggressive. We see glimpses of that in most of his fights. He’s got the speed, power and accuracy to trade with the best of them. I would love to see him come out and beat Silva at his own game by just taking his head off.

Obviously I’m rooting for Machida, but I’m hoping for a great battle that brings out the best in both fighters. That means no flying knee.

• Smiti says:

I feel that Silva’s style fits Machida’s style very well, the more agressive the more fucked you are against Machida, which is shown in his fight with Sokky.

There’s always the arguement of which fighters should get title shots and this is certainly one of them. But i feel he deserved more then a lot of other fighters in the UFC, but in the end it doesn’t even matter, it all depends on their fights as champion (for eg. BJ Penn, Anderson Silva) and if Machida can peform to the best of his abilities and keep on winning then it doesn’t matter if he gets the shot.

I also think you don’t give enough credit to Machida for his wins. People who are anti-Machida, just assume that he is automatically boring. His fight with Sam Hoger was truly fun to watch and there was a lot of action in it.

I am as big of a Machida fan you’ll get and ill even admit that the Heath fight did get me a bit bored, until the 3rd round.

Additionally, i’m not the only one who thinks this, but Thaigo isn’t much competition for Machida, a lot of people feel he hasn’t proved himself. But we will see tomorrow

• Scruffy says:

Everyone says “oh but he is so technical” like thats an excuse for him playing a game of tag in the ring and avoiding the fight. BJ Penn and GSP are just as, if not more technical than Machida and they fight and finish. “oh but it’s his style” yeah it’s his style to avoid fighting. I think he does look good when he engages but HE HARDLY EVER DOES thats the problem. Fight to finish not to outpoint should be the mantra of every fighter, if you can’t finish bad luck but at least try.
    I hope he proves me wrong but I think he will do the same thing again to win this fight. Machida by decision. Booo!

• Hunta says:

Spot on Platypus! Will be interesting to see how Thiago fights seeing as he has changed camps. Hopefully he won’t be as reckless and overly aggressive because that will play right into the hands of Machida. As much as I’d like to see Silva win, he just won’t be good enough. Only Rampage or Evans have the ability to defeat Machida out of the current fighters at LHW

• keenan says:

i believe ortiz beat forest griffen (technically) thats a top ten fighter

• heelflip says:

An article that was just oozing with bias. I don’t see how finishing fights reflect skill. And no matter how you slice it, Machida’s a winner, and he’s never really been in trouble, so really if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

• Grappo says:

Scruffy –
    “Machida by decision. Booo!”

hahaha

don’t hate the man because he hasn’t been matched up against anyone good enough to make him deviate from his comfort zone.

I think his “boringness” and unwillingness to exchange is getting blown out of proportion. People get stuck in The Hate Zone and start piling on the negativity until they can’t accurately see the truth for what it is. He does exchange. He does do damage. Just not in the same way as most other fighters. Which should make him interesting, one would think. There’s something for everyone. You want a tactical fight, you have a Machida. You want a no-brainer slugfest, you have a Lytle. And everything in between. There’s a lot to appreciate in all aspects of MMA. But I guess if people didn’t develop strong opinions (deserved or not) then they wouldn’t be selling many PPV’s.

His style is suited for gradually wearing down opponents, and so far all of his fights have been 3 rounders. Should he get a title shot, it will be interesting to see him go the full 5 (if it does.)

• Austin says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Cory Brady just said that machida has been fighting tomato cans. With the exception of Rich Franklin. I lol’ed

• neijia says:

@Austin, yes that is the gist of the argument! LOL.

I guess any incredibly impressively skilled fighter (remember the stupid arguments about, say, Fedor, anyone?) has no impressive skills if his opponents are “tomato cans”? That is simply not a logical argument. You can still see the incredible skills if you know what to look for. For those who can see it, the “elusiveness” is actually complete control of the distance and timing.

• Alpha Dog says:

Great article! Machida is a boring fighter. The guy just tries to out point his opponent in every fight! I’m not paying money to watch a karate tournament. The guy has skills dont get me wrong, he is 13-0. But why booo K.Starnes and not Machida? Starnes will tell you he was elusive in his fight with N.Quarry. Quarry, well he did the running man! LOL

• neijia says:

A weaker fighter does indeed run away.

“A superior competitor in any competition dictates the tone of the battle.”
    — roughly quoting Josh Waitzkin

We know that to be true in all sports. I don’t know why it’s hard to recognize with Machida. Of course, how many of us can look back and say we saw how good Penn, Silva, Fedor, and GSP were early on? First Silva match I saw, he got flying scissor – heel hooked by Ryo Chonan. Yes, BJ Penn actually held his own against Machida, but Penn should probably be p4p 1 or 2. In Penn’s book, he remarks on how hard Machida hits, and that is from the man Freddie Roach says has the best boxing in mma. It’s not just long distance “point fighting” that is great about Machida. You can clearly see his sumo skills at work in both his takedowns and takedown defenses. It happens quickly, though.

• Grappo says:

“But why booo K.Starnes and not Machida? Starnes will tell you he was elusive in his fight with N.Quarry. Quarry, well he did the running man! LOL”

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL @ the hilarity!

It’d be even funnier if there weren’t a lot of people that actually felt that way.

And no you aren’t paying money to watch a karate tournament, you are paying to watch an MMA event, wherein fighters will use whatever style they so choose to engage their opponent. And you’re getting what you pay for.

• Q says:

Maybe people just don’t respect technical fighters or something. I keep hearing about Machida being boring. I was mesmerized at his ability to control his opponents. He is more patient than them, and it isn’t his fault if they don’t engage with him.
    Win over Tito boring? Did anyone see Tito’s face at the end of the fight? There was also two points in the fight where Machida nearly finished him. That’s why Tito wouldn’t engage, and that’s why the other fighters don’t engage…Machida is just far superior to them.

However, I do have to agree that Thiago Silva will push a pace in this fight and engage with Machida. I hope he proves exactly what I mean and takes Silva out early in round 2 or 3.

• BigDave says:

i wonder if people would be saying these types of things to bruce lee or chuck norris if they ever fought in the mma world. Machida is cut from the same mold as these too great fighters but people want to call him boring. he is 13-0 he just wins simple as that. if he wasnt a great fighter he would lose. does he deserve a title shot? he should have already got one. he will win tonight and still wont get the credit he deserves.then what he will beat griffin or rampage or anderson silva, then will he get a title shot?

To bad he isnt BJ Penn who apperently doesnt have to do anything to get a shot at st. pierre other then lick dana whites brownhole.

• Tyler says:

My question for Brady would be did you right this article to question Machida’s undefeated record or to try and bash Tito Ortiz?
    This entire article seems like it was written by an MMA novice.

• Poeticguy says:

After watching Machida win KO of the night, i have to say that he proved you so wrong..i have never doubted Machida’s skills despite what others call his elusive, cat-and-mouse style..

• Arno says:

Silva tested Machida alright.
    He tested Machida’s fist with his face.

• BO says:

Wow! How do you like him now? Domination. I would like to see all the people leaving these idiotic comments say something now. Also Brady, after tonight’s performance let’s see another article with what you think now.

• mike wolfe says:

So how do you like him now? Boring? Can’t finish? Runs away? How do you explain away this win? Silva was injured? Distracted? Mom/Grandma/dog died before the fight? Had a hangnail? Remind me why straight ahead brawlers are better in MMA than tactical, technical fighters?

• Get to the choppa says:

Hahahaha i love it. Did you guys ever think that Machida’s domination would be one of the more exciting fights?

• David Andrest says:

Seems like many people may have read this article and stopped comprehending what was written the minute they decided Cory wasn’t saying something they wanted to hear.

I thought the last paragraph summed it up quite well, and oddly enough was spot on.

“There are many that expect Machida to frustrate Silva like he typically does to those on the opposite side of the octagon with him en route to another decision victory but I don’t feel like that will be a possibility. Whoever wins this fight will win decisively. Silva will leave no other option. I expect Silva to fly at Machida from the opening bell and all questions that need to be answered about both fighters will be answered in a hurry. One way or another Machida will engage in an entertainig fight this Saturday night. There is no way around it.”

• kiddeath82 says:

who ever wrote this article is really stupid and doesnt understand mma at all. Where do people find these chumps. There are many forms of fighting… just beacuse you dont chose to stand there and let some one hit you doesnt mean your not fighting. fucking stupid statments silva will force him to fight….. what the fuck what the hell do you think he is doing while he is in the octagon hes fighting… just picking and chosing when to engage and when not to. It’s like telling some one while your dodging and blocking punches and kicks your not fighting…..but the last time i checked dodging and blocking are part of every single martial art in the world. so this fuck is a moron and should never write another article. Also machida beat silvas ass and guess what he did it the same way he always does and wasnt forced to do anything different. So your whole article is wrong.and the whole bj penn thing how machida weighed 50lbs more well so did brock agaisnt randy and you dont here any one complaning. not even randy himslef or dana white. so again your retarded.

• Grappo says:

David Andrest

“…Whoever wins this fight will win decisively. Silva will leave no other option. I expect Silva to fly at Machida from the opening bell and all questions that need to be answered about both fighters will be answered in a hurry. One way or another Machida will engage in an entertainig fight this Saturday night. There is no way around it.”

He was right about the outcome being decisive, but that didn’t have anything to do with Silva pushing the pace and forcing Machida to fight. That fight was all Machida out to prove a point.