Report: Houston Alexander to return at UFC 98 vs. Andre Gusmao

A light heavyweight encounter between Houston Alexander and Andre Gusmao is in the process of being finalized for UFC 98 on May 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The matchup was first reported by MMAjunkie.com, which cites a source close to Alexander.

Alexander, 8-4, is currently in the midst of a three fight losing streak. After beginning his UFC career with first round TKO victories over Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara, Alexander has suffered first round losses to Thiago Silva, James Irvin, and Eric Schafer.

He will look to return to his winning ways vs. Gusmao, a former IFL standout who lost his UFC debut to Jon Jones this past August at UFC 87. The defeat was the first of Gusmao’s career and dropped his record to 5-1. An expert in the Brazilian standup martial art of Capoeira, Gusmao has also developed a strong ground game under the guidance Renzo Gracie.

In addition to Alexander vs. Gusmao, a heavyweight title unification match between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and interim UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir is also expected to headline the card. It should be noted that the Lesnar vs. Mir matchup has yet to be officially announced for the fight card.

Additional matchups for UFC 98 could include a grudge welterweight match between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra; a lightweight bout featuring Sean Sherk vs. Frank Edgar; Irvin vs. Drew McFedries in a battle of middleweights; and a clash between TUF 8 veterans George Roop and Dave Kaplan.

• Nir says:

submission of the night to Andre Gusmao by any way choke he wants.

to bad Soukadjou’s gone, him against Alexander would be candidate for “round of the night” (and after that they’d both be winded/knocked out and it would be a draw.) I wish those studs worked more on their cardio and overall skills, cause I get excited watching them fight.

• Franky says:

Loser is out of the UFC?

• htown-chris says:

i cant believ after 3 straight losses alexander is still around. hes goin to get submitted in th 2nd round if not the 1st. dana can pay guys to stay in the ufc to lose but wont save a few dollars here n ther to have some decent money to bring in fedor.

• JBAR says:

I am looking forward to seeing Alexander fight again. I hope he has been working on his ground game. If he loses I agree that he will be out of the UFC.

• provrorsbarn says:

neither of em deserve to be in the UFC

• john says:

this is going to be a stacked card

• Tim says:

Looks like a great card !! My thoughts:

1- Yipeeeee, we get to watch Houston Alexander lose on mat again.
    2- Mir vs Lesnar… Oh baby, bring it on
    3- Dave Kaplan ? Really ? How does this guy keep getting fights in the UFC, move him back to the WEC or drop him altogether.
    4- I hope Hughes and Serra beat each other senseless and the match winds up in a draw.
    5- Sherk vs Edgar should be very exciting..

I look forward to this card but first, lets get Penn / StPierre out of the way. WOW !

• Lord Faust says:

“have some decent money to bring in fedor.”

Fedor’s management has priced him out of the UFC.

• JBAR says:

I think the biggest hang up on the Fedor deal was that Fedor would not give up Sambo and the UFC would not let him compete outside the organization.

I understand that if Fedor was to get hurt in Sambo the UFC could lose out financially on the deal but they could put an injury clause in the contract or take out an insurance policy on him for when he competes in Sambo to help protect their interests. Right now neither one is getting anything out of the deal.

• Tyler says:

I really hope Houston Alexander gets things turned around with a win here I enjoy the brutality of the way he finishes fights plus the guy’s got six mouths to feed.
    If he does lose and gets booted from the UFC I’m sure he won’t be unemployed long though. Strikeforce and Dream or Sengoku would be allover this guy.

• CubanLinx says:

@Tim: i hope you realize, as Danas previously stated, WEC isnt a feeder promotion to the UFC. It’s not like UFC sends all of its unsuccessful lightweights down to WEC.

• htown-chris says:

fedors management has done nothing but ask a fair price for the amount of ppvs his fights will bring to the ufc. believe it or not there are people out there that will not support the ufc based on the big bully on the block rep they hav. anywho alexanders goin down and i hope hes saved enuff cash for the six mouths he has to feed because if he loses im sure it will be a good while befor we see him in any ring or cage. yeah he had some brutal finishes but hes been figured out. and his ground game, lets not even go there.

• Lord Faust says:

“fedors management has done nothing but ask a fair price for the amount of ppvs his fights will bring to the ufc”

You are aware he banks ~1-2 million per fight, right? That’s more than the payroll for a lot of UFC events. Discounting guys like Chuck who allegedly have PPV backend deals (which we’ll never know the real #s on), there’s no way Dana is going to piss off his whole roster by paying Fedor the money his management is asking. Not when guys like Franklin, Liddell, and Hughes — who helped build the brand — don’t make that money on a per-fight basis.

Do I think Fedor is worth it? Sure. Considering the money lower-tier boxers rake in, yeah, I think Fedor is worth a huge sum of money. (I personally believe every MMA fighter on the UFC roster is making 50% less-than I think their dedication and training commands, but sadly no one asked me.) But, as I said, his Fedor’s management has priced him out of the UFC. And yes, the Sambo stuff is definitely a deal breaker too.

Giving in to those demands would cause way too much internal strife. Do I think it’s right? No. Do I think that’s why we’ll never see him in the UFC, barring a miracle? Yep.

• JBAR says:

Lord Faust you hit the nail on the head with the backend PPV deals with fighters, like Chuck. Fedor could get the same type of deal and clean up. Can you imagine how many PPV buys there would be for a UFC event that had Fedor vs Couture , Lesnar or Mir on the card. Add in the win bonus among others and the earning potential is there.