UFC 91 replay number one in its timeslot on broadcast and cable TV

Spike TV officials issued a press release on Tuesday afternoon to announce that this past Saturday’s replay of UFC 91 peaked at 3.3 million viewers.

The replay, which featured Randy Couture losing the UFC heavyweight title to Brock Lesnar during their Nov. 15 encounter, was scheduled as counter-programming to “Day of Reckoning,” the second ever pay-per-view event promoted by Affliction and M-1.

To put the rating in perspective, the replay for UFC 91 was the number one rated program with males between the ages of 18-34 on broadcast or cable during its 9:30-11:30 p.m. ET timeslot.

According to Spike, the replay also drew a 1.7 household rating and a 1.8 among men between the ages of 18-49 (991,000), a 1.8 among males 18-34 (508,000) and had an average audience of 2.3 million viewers.

• JohnnyRev says:

that’s a large number for a rebroadcast by any standards ….just goes to show the overall appeal of mma right now

• Mike Wolfe says:

Now I’m really curious about Affliction’s ppv buys. Running UFC 91 for free was like a liver shot from Zuffa. It had to hurt.

• 45 Huddle says:

Great news for the UFC. Not good news for Affliction.

• Stan the Caddy says:

Damn, pretty impressive numbers for a re-run. Lesnar is really a monster when it comes to viewers for the UFC.

• Joseph says:

Ummm. People who watched a replay of a UFC event which featured Lesnar weren’t going to watch the Affliction show anyways.

• Nick Travaglini says:

Wow. It did awesome. It HAD to bite into Affliction’s PPV numbers. Mental note, never get on the UFC’s bad side.

• Chris says:

Dam, think about it, that does more than fight nights, TUF finales and even live cards, shit what did the last live card do, UFC 89? And this is a replay. Figure that, with the huge boxing match on HBO, not PPV, that was a great fight. Aff PPV numbers are in trouble. They did what, 100k or under last time, with that payroll, if they didnt do atleast 300k buys then they should stop already. If that card, with Fedor vs AA cant do more than that, they will never do shit.

• mu_shin says:

If my experience with this Affliction event is typical, then they are in trouble. I live in Northern Virginia, in proximity to Washington, DC. I usually work weekend nights, but had this past Saturday night off. Searched my local cable outlet for PPV availability, only to find Comcast does not carry HDnet or Affliction events. I searched the ‘net for over an hour to try and find a public showing of the fights, and found that the closest bar showing the event was over seventy miles away. I did not specifically search public showings in DC, but that’s over forty miles from where I live. I eventually found the live streaming feed on the ‘net for free, and after ninety minutes of trying to get the feed to connect and stay connected, I was able to watch the Barnett/Yvel fight, as well as the main event.

UFC and Spike have done this type of counter-programming in the past, and while in the overview it may be shortsighted in terms of overall MMA and building the sport, in specific business terms I can’t argue with their tactics.

I found the Affliction event enjoyable, with quality fights, but the production quality definitely suffered in comparison to the UFC events. Brock Lesnar has been a boon for bringing new fans to the UFC, and Randy Couture has been one of the most beloved champions the young sport has seen, so the rebroadcast numbers don’t really surprise me that much. Awareness of MMA seems to be growing, and whatever you think about Lesnar (I’m a long time MMA fan, since ’93, and I think he is the future of the heavyweight division) his notoriety from his WWE days is helping bring these numbers to the UFC and MMA.

• Jackyl says:

Sucks for you mu_shin. I watched the whole damn thing on a live feed. Found it with no trouble at all. Come on dude everyone knows at least one person that is a total pirate and knows how to get anything and everything. Ask around. You might find one easier next time.

• Jackyl says:

I don’t think this airing had an effect on Affliction’s buy rate. Right now Affliction is pretty much catering to the hardcore fans which are the only people that recognize most of the fighters. I also did not see much of a marketing push for the PPV. My basic point is that whoever wanted to buy the Affliction PPV bought it. They were not suddenly swayed by a replay of an event that most of them had already seen anyway.

• Wayne says:

Its good to know that MMA has dedicated fans such as you Jackyl.

• Orecets says:

There was a pretty pinpoint marketing push by affliction, hitting up mostly 18-30 year old dudes, on Howard Stern for example.

• Jackyl says:

What the hell is that supposed to mean Wayne? Do I have to pay for every single fight I watch just to be considered a “dedicated” fan? Have you payed for every fight you have watched? What if you are in a situation like the guy above where your cable carrier isn’t carrying the fight? Are you supposed to miss out? The last Affliction show was so so. This one was better. But I was not to drop 50 bucks on a show that I wasn’t sure about. So I’m a son of a bitch just because I was resourceful enough to find a live feed? There are also sites that post the fights after they happen. Is it wrong to watch prelims or fights you may have missed if you can find them online? What about stuff like Dream or Sengoku that is not widely available? I do consider myself a dedicated fan. I watch almost every fight I can. I take note of good up and coming fighters and try to spread the word about them. When people bitch about ground fighting I explain to them about position and how there is a lot more going on than it first seems. You need to get off your high horse and realize that we are living in a technologically advanced age. There is nothing wrong with utilizing the technology and resources you have available to you. The guy above said his cable company didn’t carry the event and he spent an hour and a half trying to find a good feed. I just merely stated that I found a good feed and watched the whole event. Sorry but I’m not worried about Tom Attencio’s cash flow. We got this depression on, I got to do for me and mine.