Matt Wiman vs. Sam Stout expected for UFC 97 in Montreal

Verbal commitments have been secured from both Matt Wiman and Sam Stout to face each other at UFC 97 on April 18 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada, sources have revealed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

Bout agreements have been presented to both fighters with the contracts expected to be returned to the UFC shortly. Once both agreements are received, the fight could be made official soon after.

Wiman, 10-4, competed last month during the promotion’s “UFC Fight for the Troops” event in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Facing Jim Miller in a match televised on Spike TV, Wiman saw his four fight win streak snapped following a unanimous decision loss that garnered “Fight of the Night” honors.

Before losing to Miller, Wiman, a veteran from the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter, had recorded consecutive wins over Brian Geraghty, Michihiro Omigawa, Justin Buchholz, and Thiago Tavares. His lifetime record in the UFC is currently 4-2.

A native of Canada, Stout is 13-5-1 overall and 2-4 while competing under the UFC banner. A talented kickboxer who trains under Shawn Tompkins, Stout will look to snap a two fight losing streak at UFC 97 following consecutive defeats at UFCs 83 and 89 against Rich Clementi and Terry Etim, respectively. The five-year veteran holds notable victories over Per Eklund, Spencer Fisher, and Jay Estrada.

In addition to Wiman vs. Stout, UFC 97 will be headlined by Anderson Silva defending his UFC middleweight title vs. Thales Leites. Additionally, former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell will return to action against former PRIDE star Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Other reported matchups for UFC 97 include David Loiseau vs. Ed Herman, Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski, Luiz Cane vs. Steve Cantwell, Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden, and T.J. Grant vs. Ryo Chonan. Tamdan McCrory and Jason MacDonald are also expected to compete on the card against separate opponents.

• WebGarden says:

Man, it’d sure be nice to see Sam get a stoppage win. Kid has loads of talent, definitely a potential contender if he puts his skills to work properly.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Wonder if this is a “loser out” match up.

• Rich B says:

I’m surprised that they didn’t put one of these guys on in place of Hermes Franca.

• Scott says:

Considering Wiman is 4-2 in the UFC, I seriously doubt this is a “loser out” fight for him, but with Stout just 2-4, he could definitely be sent packing with a loss.

• CMT says:

I am a big Stout fan. I hope he gets a win. At 2-4, the UFC must think good of him to bring him back again. He has a lot of talent. Hope he gets his head straight.

• the Levi says:

I like both of these fighters it would be a shame if one of them had to leave the UFC after this fight.I will be going for Sam Stout mostly because he is from Canada. but also becasue I like his Kickboxing style. BTW I’m not blindly patriotic,I’m going for BJ Penn and Ed ShortFuse Herman in their Can. Vs. US match-ups.this card is starting to look pretty good.

• john t says:

Stout’s first fight with Spencer Fisher is honestly one of my favorite fights, but since then he has really looked horrible. I think Wiman wins this fight.

• rondog6669 says:

This card is looking badass main card and the undercard

• Tyler says:

I think this is a great match up loser probably joins Jorge Gurgel in Strikeforce.

• Jeremy says:

Should be a very good fight. Stout has the better variety of standup on the feet but I think Wiman has the better all around game. I’ll say Wiman by late second round submission.

So far though I am not exactly sure what fights are filling out the main card for this PPV. Obviously Silva-Leites and Shogun-Liddell will be there, but who else? Cantwell-Cane might be one, and I’d certainly like to see that fight. After that maybe Wiman-Stout get the nod or perhaps Loiseau-Herman and Stann-Soszynski?