Hermes Franca latest fighter to pull off UFN 17 card due to injury

Former UFC lightweight title challenger Hermes Franca is the latest fighter to pull out of the televised portion of the promotion’s upcoming UFC Fight Night 17 fight card to be held on Feb. 7.

In a recent post on the Underground forum at MixedMartialArts.com, Franca revealed that he will be unable to fight Joe Lauzon during the night’s main event as scheduled due to a serious knee injury.

“To all my fans: unfortunately, I am not (going to) be able to fight UFC 17 in Tampa Florida,” Franca wrote. “I just tore my ACL on my right knee last Saturday. I think you  guys deserve to hear that from me.”

The UFC has yet to confirm Franca’s announcement to withdraw from the card and a replacement has yet to be named to fight Lauzon. In addition to Franca, FiveOuncesOfPain.com reported last week that middleweight Amir Sadollah was forced to pull out of his scheduled televised bout at UFN 17 against Nick Catone due to injury.

UFN 17 will be televised on Spike TV starting at 9 p.m. ET and will emanate from USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Florida. As of now, the complete lineup is as follows:

Televised Main Card –

• Joe Lauzon vs. TBA
  • Cain Velasquez vs. Denis Stojnic
  • Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer
  • Nick Catone vs. TBA

Preliminary Bouts –

• Kurt Pellegrino vs. Rob Emerson
  • Jake Rosholt vs. Dan Miller
  • Matt Grice vs. George Sotiropoulos
  • Rich Clementi vs. Gleison Tibau
  • Anthony Johnson vs. Luigi Fioravanti
  • Steve Bruno vs. Matt Riddle
  • 45 Huddle says:

There are enough good fights on the undercard that they can still make for a decent 2 hours of TV.

There really was not big main event on this card anyways.

• goodguy says:

Bump up the Johnson v Fioravanti fight. That fight has the potential to be great.

• JohnnyRev says:

I agree this card is deep if not star studded. I would like to see a marquee match up though

• JBAR says:

Is it just me or does Amir always seem to be getting hurt in training? Hate to hear this about Franca.

• KMac says:

Bump Kurt Pellegrino up to the main event against Lauzon! No disprespect to Rob Emerson, but I think this is a more compelling fight for both.

• JBAR says:

Just pony up the cash for an extra hour on Spike and show every fight you can. It will be hard to find a good opponent this late in the game and whoever they pick will come into the fight with little or no training time for the fight.

• Jim says:

Who is Denis Stojnic? Carwin got Gonzaga, why is Velasquez fighting this guy? (I mean, other than the AKA thing…)

• reece says:

Move “No Love” up! Just watched his fight last night with “Rumble”. The guy has an iron chin, real solid grappling, and strikes without fear. Would make a great fight, imo.

• Rich S. says:

This kind of sucks, cause i like Hermes..
    But it’s also good, because i like JLau too and i didn’t like his chances against Hermes :)