Following first round loss to Faber, Pulver not ruling out retirement

Once one of the premier lightweight fighters in all of mixed martial arts, former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver is now battling self doubt and considering retirement following a first round submission loss this past Sunday to Urijah Faber at WEC 38.

In a candid message to his fans released on his official website, Pulver expressed uncertainty as to what his next move will be.

“I never meant to get all emotional in the interview after the fight but when he asked me if I am still relevant it got me thinking,” wrote Pulver. “I could hear the crowd and boy I have to tell you it was loud and really started to move me inside that cage. Thus the ‘F’ bomb at the end. I guess I was saying that to myself just happened to be out loud.

“There is nothing but doubt running through my mind, wondering if I am hanging on to long or am I really just at the point of turning things around. I do feel great when I am getting prepared (but I) just had so many things going against me this time it was tough to get away for a good solid two months to give myself the best chance of winning. I do not know where I am (going to) go from here and I do not know if you all just watched the last fight for ‘Lil Evil.”

A contrite Pulver apologized for the loss and also indicated that he will return home and in order to consider whether he will continue his storied career.

“I love this sport and I have loved watching it grow and become bigger and bigger as each month passes,” he continued. “I guess it is time to just go home and figure out where to go next. I can say this it has been an honor to fight in front of all of you who have taken the time watch and all of you who take the time to come on here and say whats up. I wish you all the best in the world. again my apologies to my family, my camp at AMC and to my fans.”

The loss to Faber dropped Pulver’s lifetime record to 22-11-1 and served as his fifth loss in his last six fights. Pulver is also winless in his last three fights and just 1-3 since dropping down from the UFC’s lightweight division to the WEC’s featherweight division.

Despite his recent string of defeats, Pulver is viewed by many pundits as an MMA pioneer after emerging as one of its most prolific lighter weight fighters during a career that dates back to 1999. Over the years, Pulver has recorded notable victories over Joe Stevenson, John Lewis, Caol Uno, Dennis Hallman, and B.J. Penn.

• john says:

he is always entertaining to watch (win or lose) pulver is a pioneer and will and should always be respected as a warrior, i hope he doesnt retire, but if its a decision he makes i am sure we will see him at events still

• mrw420 says:

I hope he doesn’t hang it up. He’s had 3 losses in a row, but they were to some great fighters (Faber twice, for god’s sake. I’d like to see anyone else not lose twice to him).

It was a bad time for him to fight, but I applaud him for stepping up anyway. Here’s hoping he steps back, gets himself level and starts kicking some ass again.

• jon says:

When Joe Martinez asked for a round of applause for Jens before the official decision I thought Pulver was calling it quits. Hopefully he doesn’t retire. this was a bad fight for him, wrong place, wrong opponent, wrong time.

• Rich S. says:

What sucks so much about the body shot and then the choke, is that, even if it was only a minute or so, Pulver looked better than he did in the previous bout..

got my hopes up for a sec..

he looked more willing to brawl instead of waiting to slide his left hand in..

i hope he sticks around,
    but i want him to change something…

camp, gameplan, whatever… the need for change is evident..

• htown-chris says:

jens pulver is absolutely still relevant in the light weight division. if jens is fighting you can bet the house people are watching. his last three fights have been against the champ, the number one contender, and the champ-ex champ again. thus proving jens “lil evil” pulver is not just talking when he says he will fight anybody they put in front of him. down here in h-town we have much love for lil evil and hope to see him in the cage again.

• dsid says:

I was there and I have to say that was a dickish question to ask a guy after a tough loss like that, especially with someone who really could be at the end of his career. I mean, c’mon, Faber is a beast at 145 and there’s no shame in losing to a fighter of that caliber.