5 Oz. Video: Tom Atencio discusses, attendance, PPV buy rates, and Affliction’s future

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was recently in Anaheim, Calif. to cover Affliction and M-1’sDay of Reckoning”. After the event, the site conducted an exclusive video interview with Affliction VP Tom Atencio.

During the course of the interview, Atencio discusses many topics including, attendance, the next main event, the possibility of a third show, and much more.

• Snuffy says:

Let the man have fun!

• Ben says:

It doesn’t sound like there will be a 3rd show.

• john says:

not real sure we will see a third show, but i would be curious to see what Dana White has to say about Fedor now, i doubt we will here him give Fedor credit. we have to see him fight Randy,Mir, Brock, or even Gonzaga

• jj says:

Whether they are successful in the numbers or not, it was definitely a fantastic night of fights and a very entertaining show. I feel like I got my moneys worth and hope they will put on more shows down the road.

• kidneybeans says:

• stormshadow_408 says:

what a dork. He can’t even answer a question. they should interview the golden boy instead. he probably knows more about it. haha

• Joseph says:

I really hope there is a 3rd show. The card was just awesome.

Can’t wait! Affliction has loyal fans in Southern Cali.

• JOe K. says:

That was a great event!

• Eric V says:

I thought their show and style was just about as entertaining as a UFC PPV. From the graphics on the screen, to having the fighters come out in the beginning etc. A good improvement over the 1st show. It was a great night of fights. I hope they stay around.

• JONATHAN says:

What is Tom Atencio”s background and how did he become the face of Affliction? I honestly dont know.

• king mah mah says:

I hope Affliction is around for a long time. And yes he clearly said that there WILL be a third show, he just wasn’t sure exactly when.

• alkatraz says:

There is always some jerk that has something negative to say.the card was awesome and i hope they continue to grow.

• DamonO says:

kidneybeans on January 26th, 2009 1:33 pm said:

“What makes you guys think there won’t be a third show? I mean given that he said specifically “there will be a third show” and he talked about Barnett v Fedor as the main event. To me, that says third event. But maybe I was just reading too much into his actual words and not trying to pull out some hidden meaning.”

I don’t know if you ever heard of the promotion Elite XC or not but they had a full fight card ready to go when they shut down. That card never happened. So it is quite possible that there won’t be a third show. I know I know Elite XC lasted a little longer than two shows but with the amount of money lost and seeing the demise of a pretty decent promotion (Elite XC) I don’t think that Affliction wants to follow in their footsteps. They have a clothing company to run for heaven’s sake.

• DamonO says:

Also I would like to add that I do hope that Affliction makes it and does it right. I hope that they are a promotion that hangs in there with the UFC for years to come. There is plenty of room in this world for two top MMA promotions.

• kidneybeans says:

Well DamonO, I was just wondering what it it was about the interview that would lead someone to believe there won’t be a third show?

Of course I understand that simply saying there will be a third show doesn’t mean there will be, I’m just wondering why that interview would add any credibility to the theory that Affliction was done?

I mean when someone says “There will be a third show” and then talks about the possible headline fight, how does that warrant a response of “It doesn’t sound like there will be a 3rd show.” And from two different people no less. I’m just wondering how they got that from the interview?

I understand the speculation about Affliction’s future, I just don’t understand how that interview added to it.

• Death b4 dishonour says:

Hes Italian. ISnt it obvious by his last name?

And I hope that Affliction stays around and become a legitimate company that can compete with UFC like Pride did. Affliction cards are much more stacked then UFC cards.

• mikejj says:

LOL… “Affliction cards are much more stacked than UFC cards.”

In what way are they more stacked?

All there is on Affliction cards, besides Fedor, are newbies and nonames or wannabees and hasbeens.

Most of them owe their name recognition only to their former stint in the UFC before the were kicked out.

But Affliction is doing good…shortly there will be another ex-UFC heavyweight champ that doesn’t bring it anymore be free to be signed and later fed to Fedor.

Wonder why they haven’t asked Shamrock yet. LOL! They even invented a fighting commission which doesn’t do much but give out an imaginary world champion belt….ROFL!!!

Don’t get me wrong. Fedor is the best heavyweight right now – he’s only fighting in the wrong org to prove it.

The UFC rooster at hw isn’t stacked atm but he can’t claim immortal status by fighting ppl the ufc has thrown out for various reason ( for bad perfomances, beeing boring or just cheating with steroids) a long time ago…

• booo says:

The top 3 heavyweights contenders were in affliction, Sylvia, Arlovski and Barnett

soons he beats barnett he is p4p the greatest, who is UFC best heavyweight? Lesner? hes a joke. fighting 45 year old washups doesnt make you good, fighting the top 3 best in the world and taking out all the UFC heavyweight champs MAKES YOU GOOD.

stop riding dana whites C0ck, Affliction is like Pride or soon will be like them.

• rank says:

“Affliction cards are much more stacked than UFC cards.”

You’re calling it stacked because affliction does events after 5-6 months, UFC gives out 1 or 2 events in a month. haha..c’mon it’s common sense.

• Dave says:

I’m guessing the PPV’s for Affliction didn’t do so well, Anyone have an idea on what the magic viewer number would be for a success?