Tyson Griffin to return at UFC Fight Night 18 vs. Rafael dos Anjos

UFC lightweight title contender Tyson Griffin is set to make his Octagon return at UFC Fight Night 18 on April 1 in Nashville, Tenn. vs. Rafael dos Anjos.

MMAjunkie.com was the first to break the news of the matchup.

Griffin has not competed since losing a unanimous decision to Sean Sherk at UFC 90 this past October. The defeat dropped Griffin’s lifetime UFC record to 5-2 and his overall record to 12-2. The Xtreme Couture product has notable victories in his career against Urijah Faber, Duane Ludwig, Clay Guida, and Thiago Tavares.

Dos Anjos is a submission specialist who lost his UFC debut to Jeremy Stephens at UFC 91 this past November. The native Brazilian was knocked out at 0:39 of round 3 after Stephens connected on a long-distance uppercut.

In addition to Griffin vs. dos Anjos, UFN 18 will also reportedly feature bouts involving TUF 8 light heavyweight winner Ryan Bader vs. Marrero, TUF 8 lightweight winner Efrain Escudero vs. Jeremy Stephens, Aaron Simpson vs. Tim McKenzie, Junie Browning vs. Cole Miller, newcomer Ronnys Torres vs. Melvin Guillard, and Steve Steinbeiss vs. Ryan Jensen. The two-hour Spike TV telecast will precede the season premiere of the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

• Chris says:

Thats gonna be a hell of a card, alot of MMA that week, with WEC event, this and TUF season all in the same week or something. But shouldnt Tyson fight Stephens who beat dos anjos and have dos anjos fight Efrain? That would probably be better. But a great card, this fight, Junie vs Cole, Efrain vs Stephens, Bader and Ronnys debut.

• Benedict Smith says:

it’ll be a decision like his past six fights….the guy he stopped in the the only fight in his past 7th has a 6-4 record. Booooring fighter.

• KTru says:

Typical responses here. One guy feels the need to comment on every story. The other begins the fighter bashing.

• Tyler says:

Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida, Thiago Tavares, Frankie Edgar, and Sean Sherk all went to a decision and all were great fights.
    I can’t understand why anyone would think Tyson Griffin is a boring fighter.

• Nate says:

I concur, going to decision doesnt mean the fight it boring.

I’ve been on the edge of my seat for fights many fights that went to decision. GSP vs Fitch is a perfect example. I’ve rewatched that fight again, it was viciously awesome.

Not to say there is anything against knockouts, submissions, etc.

• EamonJGod says:

Griffin isn’t boring, I don’t love him but he’s respectable. I thought Guida got a little ripped off in their fight but it wasn’t the worse decision I’ve seen. He’s got a great KO of Faber from earlier in his career. This fight is the most appealing on the card and should be a great fight, very hard to call this one but I’ll go with Griffin via third round GnP.

• rondog6669 says:

Dose anyone know if this fight card will be free for 101st Fort Campbell soldiers?(like how fight for the troops was free for Fort Bragg soldiers)

• TerribleT says:

Rafael dos Anjos? ………who’s he???? Talk about a step down in competition huh?

• Dan says:

Wasn’t Dos Anjos in a critical MVA last month in Brazil? I thought he was going to be out for most of 2009.

• the Levi says:

I’m looking foward to seeing Melvin Gulliard in the Octagon again.
    BTW Tyson Griffin ain’t a boring fighter.
    he just lacks finish.