Report: Josh Koscheck signs 20-month contract extension with the UFC

The long-term future of welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck in the UFC was called into question this past November after UFC President Dana White became embroiled in a very public feud with Koscheck’s management at Zinkin Entertainment and trainers at the American Kickboxing Academy.

However, Koscheck and the UFC will continue to work together with the news becoming public that the former NCAA wrestling standout has signed a 20 month contract extension with the promotion.

The news is courtesy of a report by MMAMania.com. According to the report, the deal will allow Koscheck to continue to remain property of the UFC through most of 2011.

“I feel that the extension is a good thing for me because I still have a job,” Koscheck told MMA Mania. “The UFC is the only show in town. If I wasn’t with them I would be a struggling fighter looking for work in a struggling country.”

Koscheck also informed the site that he would like to remain active in 2009 and hopes to compete between five to six times. His first fight of the year is slated to happen on Feb. 21 at UFC 95 in London, England at the O2 Arena. Koscheck’s opposition will be undefeated Brazilian prospect Paulo Thiago.

A veteran from the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, Koscheck last competed during the UFC’s special “UFC Fight for the Troops” event on Dec. 10 in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Facing Japanese standout Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Koscheck improved to 12-3 after recording a knockout just 2:15 into the fight.

• Justin Van Hook says:

I wonder if he signed the licensing deal.

• Brandomania says:

I would be blown away to see Kos fight 6 times in 2009. Thats beyond a full fight schedule.

• Jeremy says:

It’s great that he likes to fight alot, but 6 times seems like a little much in one year in the UFC. Glad that he signed the deal though, didn’t want to see him leave.

• Axl Rose says:

Kos is a friggin work horse man!! Gotta love him! Hopefully he will get some real big name fights this year. Give him 3 months of training and i know he can take Thiago.

It’s a good thing he won by a monster knockout on his last fight. Bitch Dana White couldn’t get rid of him even though he didn’t sign his f’ licensing contract. I bet he’s still on the shit list though!

Look at friggin Fitch man! Now he is fighitng on the eundercard courtey of the lame ass Dana White! He is really buying his own bullshit and really believing he is some sort of god when it comes to MMA. Must be nice!

Anyway, i’m saving my money for the Aflliction show next week and then UFC 94 of course! Go Fedor!

• matt says:

if kos gets by thiago at 95 i wouldnt mind seeing him fight the winner of the upcoming serra vs. hughes matchup this summer

• CMT says:

Hey AXL – there is no such thing as Affliction. Dude save your money. Kos says so right there in the article. Dana must have in everyone’s contract that if they say something about bad about the UFC or good about another organization they must lick a certain part of his anatomy. Can you say “vanilla salty balls”

• goodguy says:

Josh is a machine. I don’t like him but I love the way he thinks.

• Justin Van Hook says:

does anyone know if he signed the licensing deal?

• platypus says:

suspected he would sign the extension w/o a problem, but the question is the merchandising/licensing deal. id buy affliction if i had money….but definitely looking forward to the card.

• Bullylover says:

I must say i think Kos and Kenflo are the most improved fighters of Tuf 1. Kos’s KO of Yoshida was Beautiful & make me wonder what the hell Joe Joe Silva was thinking when he made that matchup. Anyway’s it’s only a matter of time before we see the rematch of Gsp/Kos . Hopefully the rematch will be more entertaining.this time. Hopefully gsp ripp’s BJ a new one. I can’t stand that guy, he is too dame cocky. I kinda wish he could go straight to fighting Anderson silva just to see bj get KTFO.

• JBAR says:

Glad to see Kos will be around for a while. Kos vs Hughes or Serra would be good fights for him on the way back to a rematch with GSP. A rematch with Thiago Alves would also be a good fight for him. I would also like to see him fight Mike Swick.