Dean Lister the latest fighter to be released by the UFC

As FiveOuncesOfPain.com wrote last month, the middleweight battle between Yushin Okami and Dean Lister during UFC 92 had all the hallmarks of a “loser leaves the UFC match.” That was indeed the case as word is now spreading that former Abu Dhabi champion has received his release from the promotion.

However, according to a report by MMA Weekly, Lister’s management at Haykmaker’s Empire is claiming that he was released per his own request. The reason given as to why Lister wanted out of his UFC contract — which paid him $19,000 for his recent loss to Okami — was so that he could seek a new employer in 2009.

Lister departs the UFC with a career 4-2 record, which includes his unanimous decision loss to Okami at UFC 92. His only other loss took place against Nathan Marquardt during UFC Fight Night 8 while his win in the Octagon have come against against Jeremy Horn, Yuki Sasaki, Jordan Radev, and Alessio Sakara.

Prior to joining the UFC, Lister competed for the King of the Cage promotion and PRIDE. After going 6-2 with KOTC, Lister ventured to Japan where he competed in three fights under the PRIDE banner, going 1-2 with losses to Ricardo Arona and Amar Suloev and a victory over Akira Shoji.

A trip back to Japan may not be out of the cards for Lister, with the MMA Weekly report indicating that both Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza of DREAM and Sengoku middleweight champion Jorge Santiago are on his wish list of future opponents.

• 45 Huddle says:

He couldn’t beat the better guys (Okami & Marquardt), and couldn’t keep it remotely exciting during his wins. Makes sense. I’m all for technique, but that guy is boring to watch.

• Jeremy says:

Not a big surprise there. Whether he asked for his release, or the UFC released him, I think it was the right move. It’s obvious Lister needs to work on the striking portion of his game,and fighting in smaller shows might be the way to work that out and perhaps one day end up back in the UFC.

• KTru says:

No news here, it was win or go home.
    Horrible last match up too, against a guy (Okami) who equally bores with the best.

• Greg says:

as an aspiring pro fighter myself I get a kick out of theses couch potatoe fans who bitch about boring fights lol get in the cage and fight yourself before you call out a pro fighter and say he is ” boring ” GET A CLUE PEOPLE

• jj says:

People pay good money for a PPV event and they want to see the best MIXED MARTIAL ARTISTS, not some one dimensional grappler.

As an aspiring fighter I hope you realize this industry isn’t about eking out wins by the most boring means possible, but entertaining people with a well rounded skill set.

Unless the UFC continues to cull the ranks and keep only the best fighters in their stable the brand they have worked so hard to build will fade and people will stop paying for it.

I get a kick out of someone assuming they are the only ones in the world qualified to have a valid opinion of what is entertaining. Considering the UFC cut Lister directly after a win you have only one conclusion to make–he was getting paid too much to be boring. Get off your high horse.

• Tyler says:

I’ve read elsewhere that Lister asked to be released. He’s better off fighting in Japan anyway. His style suits him better fighting there.

• KTru says:

# Greg on January 5th, 2009 11:50 am

You learn how to spell “potatoe” from Dan Quail?

And if you are referring to me as a couch POTATO fan……you have no clue.

I actually enjoy the technical aspect of MMA. I just stated the obvious which people find Lister and Okami to be boring (whoops, technical) fighters.
    One of my favorite fighters is Machida, so dont call me out. Hopefully you aspire far enough so we can get in the cage against each other. I fight at 205, but could make 185.

• Justin Van Hook says:

Greg…………………so unless we’ve fought before we are not entitled to an opinion? That’s interesting logic. Funny besause I thought entertainment was a big part of the goal of mma, and I’m not too sure you are an expert on what I find entertaining.

• Greg says:

LOL AT ALL YOU COWARDS SAY WHAT YOU WANT ITS THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!

• Wayne says:

KTRU: You committed the cardinal sin of the internet…You mis-spelled when correcting the spelling of another. It isn’t Quail, it is Quayle.

Also, as a couch potato, I don’t give a damn how much work Lister does to be boring. The only decision in recent memory that I enjoyed was Rampage V Forrest. That is probably the only one I’ve ever enjoyed. So fighters whose careers are based on decisions, improve or get out of the UFC. Simple as that, as far as I am concerned.

• CMT says:

Hey Greg I am not an aspiring fighter, but I would be willing to get in the cage at WW – LHW. Way to pimp yourself. As a consumer I can say whatever I want about whoever I want. Let me know if you are down!!

• baby staber says:

His grappling is probably the best at 185, but he’s been working on his striking for 8 years and it still sucks. He’s one dimensional.

• Caidel says:

baby staber: IMO Demian Maia and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza are better grapplers at 185.

• Greg says:

cmt i knock you out in first 30 seconds if we could make it happen

• CMT says:

Look forward to hearing from you.

• DamonO says:

“Greg – Let’s do it. Getting in a cage to fight is one of my top 10 things to do. Since I am not an aspiring fighter like you, I will need a little time to get into shape. Here is an email you can get in touch with me. [email protected]
    Look forward to hearing from you.”

Ohhhhhh it’s on like Donkey Kong smoking a Bong while wearing a Thong and taking hits with Wong Duk Dong!

Come on seriously guys. CMT just pull guard and triangle choke. Done. No more knockout in 30 seconds. Tap tap taparoo…..