Five Ounces of Pain on CBS Sports: UFC 92 will not only offer a new Rampage, but an improved one

While many believe that Quinton “Rampage” Jackson isn’t ready to return to action this Saturday at UFC 92 following his summer arrest, there’s reason to believe that Jackson might not only be ready to fight, but that he could avenge his two previous losses to Wanderlei Silva.

In Sam Caplan’s latest column for CBSSports.com, he writes that Jackson’s title loss to UFC 86 against Forrest Griffin has made him a better fighter.

One of the biggest changes made by Jackson was a decision to fire Juanito Ibarra as his trainer and manager in favor of joining the Wolfslair Academy in England on a more formal basis.

“The change of scenery and philosophy is apparently exactly what Jackson needed,” Caplan writes. “And while a fighter typically says he’s made changes coming off a loss and that he’s a different fighter, it might truly be the case this time. Gone are the days of training in the Los Angeles area for Jackson and the temptations that came with it.

“Jackson was candid in saying that it was hard for him at times to get himself motivated to train during his L.A.-based camps. At other times when he was motivated, it wasn’t uncommon to have to suffer through lackluster sparring sessions in which his training partners were trying to fight through a heavy night of partying.”

In addition to his training habits, Jackson revealed during a UFC 92 conference call last week that he’s made changes to his eating habits. In fact, for the first time in his career, he has begun to work with a nutritionist.

“I am a professional fighter and a professional athlete,” Jackson is quoted as saying in the article. “I (realized I’ve) got to start eating like one and taking supplements. I didn’t take supplements my whole career — not even protein shakes or multi-vitamins. And I’ve been doing that now and I’ve got a good nutritionist and some good people behind me and telling me all the good things to do that I’ve never done before.

“It’s paid off. It’s showing in my training and I’m messing around with weights a little. I’m getting stronger and faster. I should have been doing this type of stuff years ago. I didn’t have the right people around me but now after the last loss I got rid of all the bad things around me and got a bunch of good people around me.”

To read the article in its entirety, click here.

• Greg says:

Much respect to Rampage but ” the axe murderer” gonna ko you on Sat. night .!!! However I’m anxious to see what state of mind he’s in or if we get Paulo Filho part 2 ! As heralded as this card is I think this one has “fight of the night” all over it . Can’t wait for Sat.!

• Jim says:

Wait, wait. So you’re saying that the body Rampage had before was a cheeseburger body? That’s sick. Just not fair.

If what we saw before was a not-so-well-conditioned Rampage… Damn. Saturday just got a lot more compelling.

• ctownhood says:

Dude’s body has never been an issue..it’s been his mind. The other problem he has had in his previous fights with Wandy, would be knees to the grill.

• Rich S. says:

I am really, REALLY suprised that EVERYONE is counting Rampage out [except for Sam i suppose]

I mean,
    for the last few weeks, every single post or comment i’ve seen has said in general that “Rampage is getting KO’d early”.

You have to look at the facts here,

#1: Since his fights with Wandy, which i believe the last one was 4 years ago, Rampage’s striking has improved TREMENDOUSLY – and that word hardly does it justice.

#2: When’s the last time you saw Wandy throw a knee? Last time i remember him using a knee, he was in Japan.. His knees finished Rampage both times. The other day, i saw him come out and say he probably won’t use knees this time.. he wants to punch him.. That’s going to play a huge factor in this bout, more of a factor than head stomps..

#3: Have you forgotten that Rampage was JUST the UFC LHW champ for over a year?! I find it strange that poeple can say a man that DOMINATED Liddell and Hendo [Two guys that beat Wandy] is going to lose so easily..

#4: Wandy’s striking is wreckless [though dangerous, of course] and his chin is almost always right there for the taking.. I think Rampage’s significantly improved striking can help him capitalize on that..

#5: Some simple statistics… In Rampage’s last 4 fights, he’s won 3.. and his sole loss was believed by many to be controversial.. In Wandy’s last 4 wights, he’s won ONE.. and all of his losses were dominant ones..

You can see one individual is clearly on an incline, and the other on a decline..

Wandy’s KO of Jardine could show that he’s getting back in the mix, OR it could have simply been a showcasing of Jardine’s bad chin..

I’m sure it sounds like i’m downing Wandy here, but i’m not.. in fact, he’s one of my favorite fighters.. i just think people need to look at the facts, instead of being so quick to say Rampage will lose easily..

• gootch says:

rich ur talkin cr%p- liddell dominated wandy?? dont think so

• mike wolfe says:

I’ll bet cash money Silva does knee, and leg kicks like a bastard, too. Rampage’s decision to eat right and train more seriously won’t matter if he hasn’t learned how to check leg kicks like Forrest used. You better believe Wanderlei watched that fight a few times.

• Soggykong says:

Gootch-he didn’t say Liddell dominated Wandy. He said Rampage dominated Hendo and Liddell

• JOe K. says:

Wanderlei will win. It may even be by knees.

Its good that Jackson changed scenery. Nothing like hard training to keep him focused, out of trouble and in good mind/body/spirit.

I like Jackson, I want him to win his fights after this one.

• sean benjamin says:

RAMPAGE WILL WIN THIS FIGHT HANDS DOWN COUNT ON IT

• Ian says:

Interesting write up. I disagree with almost everything. A loss never makes you better. That old wives tale has been dispelled time and again.

Confidence and self belief are infinitely better than any perceived lesson learned.

Wanderlei by TKO in the 1st.

• ZP580 says:

Ha KO. Wandy wont KO him. His striking is too wild for Rampage’s improved stand up since they last fought. This fight is goin three with Rampage winning unanimous. Wandy got winded in the Liddell fight and we all know that Rampage went five no problem without a nutritionist.

Rampage Unanimous decision