Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” to face more competition in the form of UFC 91

When Affliction Entertainment held its inaugural pay-per-view event entitled “Banned” last July 19, it prompted the UFC to hastily put together a live UFC Fight Night 14 event to go head-to-head with it on Spike TV.

Affliction’s second-ever PPV, entitled “Day of Reckoning,” is scheduled for Saturday, January 24. With the UFC scheduled to promote pay-per-view events on January 17 and 31, it will be virtually impossible to schedule a live event to go head-to-head with Affliction again.

However, the UFC will still be airing programming opposite “Day of Reckoning” and to virtually no one’s surprise, the competition will come in the form of a replay of UFC 91.

UFC 91 originally took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas and featured Brock Lesnar winning the UFC heavyweight title from Randy Couture in a PPV event that some in the cable industry have estimated was viewed by over 800,000 households.

While the UFC won’t be airing live programming opposite Affliction, it will still be putting forth a formidable challenge by featuring an event that UFC President Dana White referred to as “the biggest fight in UFC history.”

The replay of UFC 91 joins HBO’s presentation of a welterweight boxing attraction between Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley as events that will be competing with “Day of Reckoning” for the coveted male 18-34 demographic on Jan. 24. Complicating matters further is the fact that Margarito vs. Mosley will be taking place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, which is in the same market as “Day of Reckoning,” as the event will be emanating from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

In addition to competing for local media attention with the event, Affliction finds itself in a position where it will be competing with partner Golden Boy Promotions as it tries to sell tickets. Several sources have indicated that ticket sales for “Day of Reckoning” are moving at a slower pace than Affliction’s first event at the Honda Center.

• Scott says:

I don’t think this can be a suprise to any of the parties involved. The UFC was going to do something to couter program Affliction… and Affliction would be even dumber then most people think they are if they were not expecting it.

I just happy because UFC 91 was the only event I’d missed all year (I was out of the country traveling), now I get to watch, and I’m looking forward to it!

• platypus says:

wow, affliction def has its work cut out for itself. good luck affliction !

• Tony Fennen says:

If you dont own a DVR there is still time to tell SANTA.

• nate says:

all I have to say is

FEDOR vs Andre Arlovski! YEAH BABY!!!! I cant freaking wait.

• gorbayov says:

i would chose affliction nevermind what ufc it is..
    this is one of the greatest events of the year if not the greatest

• JOe K. says:

That sucks for Affliction. The fights on the UFC 91 card were top to bottom great. On paper it didn’t look too exciting but that card surprised the hell out of me.

• Ian says:

If I were forced to choose at gunpoint, I’d watch Affliction 2 over UFC 92.

• Rod says:

I’m gonna have to quit ordering UFC PPV if they are just gonna show them a month later on Spike. I feel ripped off now.

• Justin Van Hook says:

Not a surprise but still a dick move. I was going to order UFC 94 but I think I will reconsider as my own personal form of retaliation. I have to order UFC 92 considering the awesome nature of the entire card, and I never had any intention of buying UFC 93, so missing out on 94 seems a small price to pay. I have always intended on buying the Affliction show but I am honestly considering buying it twice.

• tony says:

yea im all for more orgs to make it ufc needs some challengers i buy all the ufc ppv and kotc and i will buy the affliction ppv again lay off dana let the sport grow man theyre not taking anything away yet

• babalu says:

ufc is shite!!!!!!!

• CubanLinx says:

i have WEC coming out on top that weekend.

• matthew says:

I will be purchasing this event. Regardless of the organisation. It has some excellent fighters in very good match-ups. Sure, Faber v Pulver rematch would be interesting but Arlovski v Fedor trumps that.

• Greg says:

Arlovski’s world class standup has only improved over the years – look for Andrei to shock the world!!!!! Arlovski – tko ref stoppage in the 3rd!!!!!!!! Fck vince macmahon…. um i mean dana white I love MMA and do agree the UFC is the home to the best fighters in the world… but you can’t deny the fact affliction has a great stable of fighters (especially at hvyweight)Banned was a great event and day of reckoing im sure will be just as good. Fckin childish for dana and the ufc to to play such immature games . Just goes to show thier concern . I hope affliction thrives and continues to put together some great evnts for the future!!!