Vitor Belfort reveals pro boxing aspirations

The fighter most excited by the recent alliance between Affliction Entertainment and Golden Boy Promotions is Vitor Belfort. Belfort made it clear that he wants to take up boxing in the very near future.

“I want to fight boxing – professional,” Belfort said, “I hope Golden Boy can make that happen.”

To this point, Belfort has not signed with Golden Boy or any other boxing promotion. He made it clear that this is the first official declaration of his intentions.

“I just made the first announcement today that I am interested,” Belfort said, “I am just going see who the person is that I need to negotiate with – now is the time with Golden Boy involved”

Recently, a few other top level fighters have expressed interest in crossing over into boxing – notably Andrei Arlovski and Anderson Silva. Arlovski was rumored to to be making his professional boxing debut on the undercard of the September 2008 Golden Boy show. For the time being, Arlovski has put those thoughts on the backburner.

“I am only focused on the fight with Fedor Emelianenko. I am not thinking about that right now,” said Arlovski.

Like Arlovski, Belfort has been known as one of the most feared strikers in the MMA world. Belfort believes he could make the transition easily.

“I always wanted to get involved with boxing,” said Belfort, “I am very interested. Why not? It’s very exciting.”

• JDEEZY says:

hate to break it to u arlovski but u will be seeing a huge pay cut to watch u box on a undercard…wait we won’t even see u cause its an undercard.

• Davey D says:

Al Stanky was his trainer before right? If, Vitor Belfort fought someone from the boxing world. I would watch that fight. He has been in the fight game long enough to challenge other fighter’s out there. I wonder who will accept? Would Roy Jones Jr. fight him at 185 lbs. in a boxing ring?

Pat Miletich said he would welcome a fight against any game pro boxer in MMA recently. How about it? A lot of org’s will put together crazy match making in order to get people’s attention in 2009. Here’s to being succesful.

• Austin says:

Al Stankie used to train him back when he was in the UFC.

• DX says:

I can see Arlovski doing quite well considering was/is training with Freddie Roach. I’ll never pick against Freddie Roach.

• CMT says:

Hey JDEEZY “smart guy” think before you type!! It may not be about the money, but about the challenge. I think it is time you crawl back on the couch turn on some Fresh Prince, and pretend your livin’ the good life. Oh yeah, don’t forget to put on some Kid N Play, DEEZY! Peace out Playa.

• Jason G says:

Why are you hating on Fresh Prince? I agree with everything else though. Vitor has very fast hands so I think he could be decent. I don’t think he’d ever be a contender but you never know.

Seriously does it not piss you guys off when Vitor doesn’t absolutely destroy people? He was such a badass back in the day but I think he lost his killer instinct.

• Tony Fennen says:

boxing = 2 weapons (hands only)
    MMA = 8+ weapons (hands,feet,elbows,knees,submmissions,etc)

boxing = bigger pay (even on the undercard)
    mma = more respect

I am a HUGE boxing fan but AA or Vitor would do GREAT in boxing. AA could probably walk into title fights on short notice and win. The only thing I think that would hinder their boxing careers, the MMA all or nothing mentallity.
    Thats being said, boxing is SO F’N boring compared to MMA that some serious action would be AWESOME.

• ken says:

Vitor or AA in a boxing match with Roy Jones Jr.? Mismatch of gigantic proportion. Even with Jones somewhat diminished ability, he is far faster and even further more technically skilled (in Boxing) than those guys.

I’d love to see either of those guys in some reasonable boxing matches. Anderson Silva might be my first pick though.

• CMT says:

I ain’t hatin on the Prince. Everyday I give myself a word or phrase to work into a conversation. Today it was Fresh Prince and Kid N Play. Something stupid me and my friends do. So, I found a place to insert my phrase. I think tomorrow will be “chocolate salty balls”! I will try to work into a 5 oz comment.

• Bullylover says:

I’d love to Silva vs Jones & AA vs Lennox lewis

• s00nertp says:

I love MMA.
    It is the only sport I love.

To me boxing is the same as ice hockey, baseball, windsurfing, spelling bee, etc. which are in the same class as “not MMA, and therefore dull useless sports”.

So when people compare boxing to MMA, it makes no sense to me. I had watched more bowling (2) matches than boxing matches before MMA became mainstream.
    In the early UFC days, with Vale Tudo, and PRIDE FC as the biggest show in the planet… it felt like years each day that it took for the freaking video/DVD to arrive so I could watch the fights.

This is the best time ever for any fan of the sport.

I think Vitor Belfort was a true Phenom when he started the sport, but he lost his head since. Starting a boxing career at this stage of his life makes about as much sense as Ken Shamrock continuing to fight in the ring: all you are going to do is lose lose lose.

• Bullylover says:

Even better AA vs Klitschko or whatever his name is.