twitter google

Report: Stefan Struve latest fighter to join UFC heavyweight division

In an continuing effort to add depth to its heavyweight division, the UFC has signed Dutch fighter Stefan Struve to a four-fight contract.

The news comes courtesy of a report by the UK-based MMA magazine Fighters Only.

Struve is scheduled to make his Octagon debut at UFC 95 on Saturday, February 21 at the O2 Arena in London, England against an opponent that has yet to be named.

According to the Fighters Only report, Struve had been heavily sought-after before signing with the UFC with both Affliction Entertainment and DREAM reportedly having an interest in his services.

Despite being just 20-years old, it would appear that Struve doesn’t lack any confidence in his abilities.

“I think I can beat most of the guys there,” he is quoted as telling Fighters Only. “They have five or six really good heavyweights. The other guys… not so good, I think.”

Even though he only has been competing as a professional since 2005, Struve has already amassed a respectable 16-2 record with notable victories over former UFC veterans Colin Robinson and Mario Neto.

Struve is the latest in a new crop of heavyweight fighters signed over the course of the past 12 months that includes Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin, Pat Barry, Junior dos Santos, Neil Grove, Mustapha Al-Turk, Mike Wessel, and Denis Stojnic.

4 COMMENTS
  • Jason G says:

    There’s a lot of young talent in the heavyweight division now. If Brock gets past Mir/Nogueria he’s gonna have a hell of a time keeping these guys off him.

  • Davey D says:

    I can see Brock defeating Mir if they ran it back. I do not think he would beat Rodrigo Nogueira. I would like to see Minotauro vs. Lesnar end up happening. That would be badass!

  • KTru says:

    Another larger HW, the 225 division is getting closer………

    A divsion Liddell may be able to hold on a belt for a little while…..

  • J.Legend says:

    I heard about this guy Stefan Struve, and from what i’ve heard this young prospect is the real deal for being just 20 years old. I really like where the UFC is going……I know they let go Mirko Cro Cop, Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Jeff Monson, Fabricio Werdum and many others, but i like this new young talent there going after. I wish Arlovski will come back !! But with BROCK LESNAR, CAIN VELASQUEZ, SHANE CARWIN, JUNIOR DOS SANTOS, and New Signes Stefan Struve, Denis Stojnic, and Neil Grove…the UFC HW division will be just fine. Man they still have guys like Gonzaga, Couture, Big Nogueira, Herring, Kongo, and Mir still on board.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.