Matt Riddle expected to make UFC return in April

Matt Riddle, an alumnus from the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, had been scheduled to make his welterweight debut in a UFC 91 matchup this past November against Ryan Thomas. However, a serious knee injury sustained while training forced Riddle off the card and created an opening for fellow TUF 7 veteran Matt Brown.

Riddle has been making progress in his recovery from the injury and sources close to 22-year old fighter have informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that he’s expected to return to the Octagon in April against an opponent that has yet to be determined.

The fight will mark just the second bout of Riddle’s pro career with his official debut having taken place during the live finale for the seventh season of TUF this past June. Matched up against veteran Dante Rivera, the former standout collegiate wrestler was able to defeat his vastly more experienced opposition with a unanimous decision victory.

Riddle had prepared for the fight vs. Rivera at Arizona Combat Sports but Five Ounces of Pain has also learned that Riddle is planning to leave ACS and relocate to Las Vegas, where he’ll train at the Warrior Training Center.

• mike wolfe says:

I’m interested to see Riddle develop. His ko win to get into the house on TUF was one of the most brutal I’ve ever seen. Never did hear what happened to the other guy, who was hauled out moaning on a stretcher.

• Bullylover says:

Who knows what happened to him. It looked like riddle had knocked him into acoma that dude was having amnesia or something. You see the way he was quistiong page on what happened? That was some good stuff.

• portland mma says:

Have you guys ever seen someone get knocked out? They don’t usually know exactly what happened. Not to mention its easier on National TV to say “i dont know what happened,” rather then yeah that dude just knocked me into another dimension. The knockout was no doubt brutal but Dan Simmler (to my knowledge) had never had a pro fight before, here is his fight finder page (http://sherdog.com/fighter/Dan-Simmler-25065) it lists a 0-0 record (since tuf doens’t count against your record…why the hell is that!) and the only reason he has a page is because he is a black belt in BJJ and he was in a grapplers quest dvd. I am guessing Simmler was a bad ass BJJ ace who had never been hit too hard before, and so you watched a dude not used to getting popped in the face get rocked. I don’t think most “fighters” would have reacted the way Simmler did (in his defense I think he had a broken jaw). Its like the same thing with the Vinny fight though, Vinny is as decorated in BJJ as you get but his pro MMA record is only 2-3 (with a loss to George Bush I might add hah actually a pretty tough dude out of Ohio).

• Lethal says:

I assume he’ll be on the UFN card leading into TUF 9 season debut.

• egad81 says:

yeah that was a crazy KO but if you ever had a broken or even worse dislocated jaw, its really really painful.
    I would take the Corey Hill leg break over a broken jaw ANY DAY.

• JDEEZY says:

uh your smoking crack if u will take a broken jaw over corey hill’s completely broken in half leg.. ya even if u think the pain is worse with a jaw which im sure u have never broke ur leg like that any fighter would take the jaw recovery time which is under 2 months to up to 18 months that corey has with tons of rehab on his leg. think before u type smart guy

• yoadumass says:

JDEZZY- you need to think before you type, dumb ass. He was making a comment.

• portland mma says:

Gonna have to agree with Jdeezy I would pay to have my jaw broken rather then what happened to Cory Hill. That was one of the most horrific injuries in the history of the UFC, broken jaws in the UFC aren’t too uncommon.

• portland mma says:

I don’t even know who yoa is

• KTru says:

Its funny that the comments here have nothing to do with the topic. Like I am at MMA Junkie.
    But I was wondering what was going on since there was responses to “Riddle’s Return”

Now back to my response