WEC bantamweight Will Ribeiro fighting for life in Brazil

World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight title contender Will Ribeiro suffered life-threatening injuries during an early morning motorcycle accident in Rio de Janeiro, according to a report on the WEC’s official website.

The report, which cites Ribeiro’s manager Ed Soares, states that the Brazilian fighter was a passenger on a motorcycle and was not wearing a helmet. At the time of the accident, it is believed that the motorcycle was riding down a road that was slippery as a result of rain.

A former member of the Brazilian Olympic boxing team, Ribeiro was immediately rushed to a local hospital, where he’s currently in a comatose state.

“My assistant said that the doctor said for sure that he (Ribeiro) has lost sight in one of his eyes,” Soares is quoted as saying by the WEC. “He’s still in a coma. After surgery the doctor said there is a 50-50 shot that he will come out of it (survive).”

Ribeiro, 10-2, recently competed at WEC 37 on Dec. 3, losing to Brian Bowles via submission in the third round. In spite of the loss, he remains one of the most highly-regarded bantamweight prospects in the world.

“He’s a very positive guy, very hard-working, a good person,” Soares is quoted. “He had had a very rough life. His mother passed away like seven years ago and he took over the care of his younger sister. He’s like a father-brother-mother to her … I’m still crushed right now.”

• brian z says:

his fight the other day was great, this is sad news for what sounds like a very good person. Hopefully he recovers from this. We need more people like this who rise to the occasion and take on that kind od responsabilty for themselfs and others.

• Ron Burgundy says:

Hang in there Will, our prayers are with you.

• tmckee13 says:

My thoughts go out to Will I hope you make it through this. God Bless

• steve says:

*bantamweight

this is horrible. hes an exciting and very talented fighter.

• egad81 says:

sucks… to hear another bike going down
    Its all to comin.

May the sun shine on your injuries & and good luck Will keep fighting!

• john says:

gob bless you, and heal your injuries, may you get your sight back, as well fully recover from your injuries. look forward to seeing you back in action

• john says:

the fighters should have a contract that prevents you from doing activities that could hinder you from taking a fight due to injuries. im sure there will be posts that say you can get injured or killed doing something as simple as walking down the street but lets atleast be real, my first vehicle i ever had was a 1991 suzuki katana, and my football coach or baseball coach would pick me up and take me home from school or make other arrangements so i wouldnt be in danger of not playing. so soon after my sophmore year my parents bought me a truck, (but i got to keep the bike). my point is dont put yourself in unnecessary danger of being injured just for a thrill, and riding a bike is just that. especially when your livelyhood is based on you having a strong mind and body, too many fighters have ruined their career or come pretty damn close to it by taking unnecessary risks…..just my 2 cents

• hindsightufuk says: