Alistair Overeem: “I do see myself defeating Brock Lesnar”

Alistair Overeem has reinvented himself since making the move up to the heavyweight division. The Dutch fighter has gone undefeated in his last five fights while obtaining the Strikeforce heavyweight championship along the way. Big wins over big names have turned many heads and have many mentioning Overeem’s name when discussing the sports top heavyweights, as both UFC veteran Paul Buentello and former PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt have both fallen victim to “The Demolition Man” in recent outings.

Overeem’s most impressive performance of late came against the always dangerous Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at DREAM 6. Unfortunately it was a performance that was taken away to some extent due to the bouts no contest ruling. Overeem dominated Cro Cop and cut him while utilizing brutal ground and pound before landing a couple questionable knees in the clinch that caused the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue.

The Strikeforce champion feels like Cro Cop was looking for a way out and confirmed in an exclusive interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com that he will have a chance to set the record straight when the two meet again at the K-1 Dynamite New Year’s Eve event.

Overeem is not the kind of fighter that is content with fighting two or three times a year. He has found a renewed hunger to compete and has fought four times in just the last five months. Since his controversial contest with Cro Cop, the Golden Glory-trained fighter returned to action on November ninth to face off with the power punching Gary Goodridge at Shooto Holland: Ultimate Glory 10 in Arnhem, Netherlands.

“I expected a hard battle as I think Gary is a hard puncher with a lot of experience,” said Overeem.

Overeem was able to utilize his superior clinch work to do some serious damage to Goodridge before taking him to the ground, obtaining side control and securing the Kimura victory early in the first round.

“My opening attack caught him by surprise,” he explained.

Wasting no time in looking for a future opponent, Overeem confirmed with FiveOuncesOfPain.com who he will be facing next.

“I’m expecting to fight Mirko at the new years event,” said the powerful Dutchman.

“The game plan was to take Mirco apart,” said Overeem.”One piece at a time.”

Cro Cop looked to be nearing the end in his bout with Overeem before he was struck with a questionably low knee that caused him to feel as if he could not continue. Overeem feels as if he was denied the finish victory that he had coming to him.

“I’m 100% sure I would have finished him if the fight wasn’t called off,” said Overeem. “I think he knew he was losing and took the easy way out.”

When asked whether or not he will be looking to win decisively this time around Overeem was straight and to the point.

“I always look to finish my opponent,” said the 28-year old.

While most of the MMA world had there eyes glued to the TV screen when Randy Couture was recently dethroned by former WWE powerhouse Brock Lesnar, Overeem was no exception.

“It was a good performance but I see some weak spots in Brock’s game plan,” said Overeem. “Although I think he is a very interesting opponent, I’m looking forward to see more of Brock’s fights and seeing him develop more.”

While we were on the subject of Lesnar, I just had to ask Overeem if he would be interested in facing the new UFC champion at some point down the road. I got a very straight forward answer.

“Yes, and I do see myself defeating Brock Lesnar,” said Overeem.

When most mixed martial arts fans think about Overeem and his recent accomplishments he has made in the sports heavyweight division they wonder when he will finally be making the move over to the UFC. So I had to ask him if that was a move that he would welcome at some point.

“Yes,” said Overeem. “Although I am very happy with my current contracts with Dream and Strikeforce.”<

• Guinness says:

With all due respect to a balanced article:

From Adam Morgan, Oct. 29, 2008:

“The pain was so unbearable that Cro Cop was unable to continue. During the broadcast, commentators Bas Rutten and Kenny Rice were notified that Cro Cop’s right testicle had been knocked back up inside his body.”

I’m not certain if the extent of the injury was ever confirmed or not, however a balanced picture of the whole situation seems only fair… even if this is meant as a promo piece for Overeem. This kind of salient information seems a better fit than wide assumptions made on behalf of the entire mixed martial arts fan community (see 2nd last paragraph)… although I admit that I do wonder if he will ever find his way there myself.

• Davey D says:

Alistair is a very strong fighter at HW. I think he gave up a lot of speed, power and strength while at 205. He could really be a force at HW if he can put it all together on a consistent basis. I would also like to see him defend his Strikeforce title sometime next year by April, if at all possible. He could get an invite the big show if he can keep on winning. By the way, that scar on his face is wicked.

• Robert says:

Alistair is better at heavyweight than he was at light heavyweight but I don’t think he could handle a wrestler Lesnar’s size unless he caught him in that sick guillotine choke he has.After he fights CroCop on NYE it’d be nice to see him in Strikeforce again I mean he is their heavyweight champ and hasn’t fought for them in a year.

• steve says:

he would be a great addition to the UFC’s roster.

• jj says:

those low blows were really bad so i agree its unfair to say mirko wanted out strictly because he was losing…he wanted out because he got his nuts smashed multiple times. however mirko looked done a long time before any questionable low blows came into play.

cro cop looks like an old man when he fights ever since he was broken in the ufc. he’s an awesome fighter, dont get me wrong, but he is in the twilight of his career.

i hope alistair makes the move to the UFC, there aren’t many strikers of his calibre in the UFC in general, never mind within the thin heavyweight division.

• screwface says:

always been a huge fan of his, i too wish the ufc would pick him up and stack the hw div better. he would be a great addition to thier somewhat lackluster roster.

• Simon Cason says:

“Overeem’s most impressive performance…against the always dangerous “Cro Cop”. Overeem dominated Cro Cop and cut him while utilizing brutal ground and pound before landing a couple questionable knees in the clinch that caused the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue.”

Why do I get the impression this guy didn’t even see the first CroCop/Overeem match? There’s nothing impressive about 3 knee strikes to the balls. You could even make a case that one of the strikes were intentional, if not two of them. Yes CroCop might have been overwhelmed, but dominated? Brutal ground and pound? That’s crazy talk. Not to mention the fact that it was the doctor that stopped the fight not CC. That point being moot I guess since CC’s nutsack was crushed and even if the doc let it go on, CC would not have continued much longer. Where does 5o.z. find such credible and informed journalist’s? This article reads as if Brady(?) never even watched the fight, maybe one of the other “contributors” had told him what took place, instead of actually doing a little homework. I guess it comes with the territory; with the ever expanding sport of MMA, your bound to get 2nd rate journalist who seem to come out of nowhere to “contribute”. (i.e. Iole-Dana White‘s personal lap-dog, Josh Gross-who recently suggested that the UFC isn’t legitimate because Matt Lindland of all people isn’t on their roster) He does make one valid point, the outcome was rather “unfortunate”. We’ve come so far…

• Cory Brady says:

Simon, I have watched this bout several times and once just prior to dong this interview with Overeem. Obviously we disagree on several points. The knee strikes looked questionable to me and I have watched them very closely. The other being that I believe that Overeem completely dominated Cro Cop in their first match. I was one that was completely shocked as I expected Crop Cop to defeat Overeem easily but what I saw was Overeem taking Mirko down at will and punishing him with hammerfists. Hammerfists that opened a nasty gash on Cro Cop’s eye and had him looking in terrible shape before the end came. The knees may have been low. Whether they were or not is just speculation. What I feel is not speculation is the fact that Cro Cop was taking a serious beating at the hands of Overeem. Brutal ground and pound, crazy talk? I disagree. It seemed Cro Cop was close to being done right before the end came and that was because of Overeem punching Mirko in the face over and over. Then of course the refreree stopped the fight but the referee stopped the fight because Cro Cop was given plenty of time and decided he could not continue. You have the right to your opinion and I respect it but you should not assume that I haven’t done my homework because I don’t share the same opinion as you. I will agree to disagree with you on these points.

• Nikolai says:

This guy beating Brock Lesnar?

How? Plz tell me. That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.

Really what’s he gonna do? He’s way outmatched in power and wrestling. And even if he could stand with Lesnar he’d just be taken to the ground.

Style match up is not in his favor. He’d be at the mercy of Lesnar’s freakishly ridiculous athletesism.

I mean really, what is he picturing in his head that leads him to think he wins that fight?

• Robert says:

The knee strikes weren’t “questionable”.They were dead on balls accurate.You better watch the fight again.I agree Mirko was behind on the scorecards but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t have won and was looking for a way out.He was hit with low blows and it seems pretty obvious to me.

• Austin says:

He’s the shit-talking son of a bitch that the UFC needs right now. A heavyweight Tito who can actually fight.

• alibaba says:

he will murder cock cause thats the fakest fighter i ever saw next to bob sapp and a couple other americans…

• ttttt says:

id like to see him beat Brock. its possible

• Robert says:

Austin are you a Dana White fan because your comment sounds like something he wrote down for you to say.

• Matt says:

Cory, I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that Overeem was dominating that fight and would have probably broken Crocop’s will and finished him very soon.

I do however have a problem with this:

“Overeem dominated Cro Cop and cut him while utilizing brutal ground and pound before landing a couple questionable knees in the clinch that caused the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue.”

Its a pretty backhanded way of saying Crocop bitched out at the first opportunity he could. Now is it believable that Crocop would try and find a way out of a fight he is losing BIGTIME without taking the L on his record? I would say yes, it’s possible.

But in this case it’s pretty clear he was kneed in the testicles until one of them popped back up into his body… let me repeat that… he was kneed so hard in the balls that one of them ascended back into his body. The man was in pain on the mat for a long time unable to even stand… and at this point in his career, after all he’s accomplished in 50+ professional MMA and KB bouts, Crocop deserves the benefit of the doubt.

So, can you see how “the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue” could be seen as a little bit overzealous?

Accidental or not… the fact is that the decision was made for him by Alistair’s knee.

PS… This new version of Overeem would destroy Brock.

• Cory Brady says:

Matt, yes I can see how “the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue” could be seen as a little bit overzealous. It wasn’t my intention to make it appear as if Cro Cop had quit in his match Overeem. I think the phrasing of the sentence could make it seem as if I believe Cro Cop took the easy way out but nowhere in my article do I say that and that is not my personal opinion. Overeem says “I think he knew he was losing and took the easy way out” which paints the entire article in a certain light and it is my job to tell his story whether I agree with it or not.

• Matt says:

Fair enough Cory.

Thanks for the response.

• Cory Brady says:

Sure thing Matt and I appreciate the feedback.

• Mike A says:

Too bad he wont make it in the UFC he’ll have to lay off the juice hes obviously on

• shatner says:

Mike A another guy talking out of his ass.

• fenrsz says:

I like Overeem. He’s a quality fighter with a big future, but dammnit why spout off shit like this? He clearly hit Mirko with 2 huge low blows, how can anyone expect a fighter to continue after that…

• darkmetal says:

Lol, I don’t think it is anatomically possible to kick someone’s testicle back into their body. I mean seriously….

And of course Overeem is going to say he would beat Lesnar. What is he going to say? “Oh yeah, the guy is faster and more powerful than I am, and a better wrestler…oh sure, I’d lose.”

The outcome of any fight is up in the air until the fight actually happens. And there is no man who cannot be beaten, period. However, if Alistair wants to prove himself, just don’t talk about it, come to the UFC and prove it.

I seriously think that even if Brock Lesnar was to KO Fedor there would be the whiners who would cry “He didn’t deserve a shot, he’s just a WWE wrestler”. Pitiful.

• medium seen says:

I don’t doubt you did your homework, but you re-capped the fight twice in the same article.

1. Overeem dominated Cro Cop and cut him while utilizing brutal ground and pound before landing a couple questionable knees in the clinch that caused the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue.

2. In the pairs previous meeting Overeem managed to take the Croatian to the canvas with relative ease. While in the top position, Overeem was able to dish out plenty of damage in the form of short punches and hammerfists that caused a nasty cut above Cro Cop’s eye. Cro Cop looked to be nearing the end in his bout with Overeem before he was struck with a questionably low knee that caused him to feel as if he could not continue.

I think in an article less than 500 words, one re-cap is good. And spelling mirko right. I can proof read if you need.

• anomie says:

One of my Top 5 favorite dumb statements in threads:

Because obviously every athlete outside of the US is on roids. They only naturally grow big in the United States, and everyone else has to cheat to get that size and speed.

Its odd that sports in the US have issues with steroid abuse (Baseball, Football, etc….), but other nations don’t have those problems. Yet when it comes to MMA everyone outside of the states is juicing because no way could they be just as capable of adding and dropping weight as fighters from America.

Uneducated fight fans who spread conjecture

• Perfecto says:

Brock just beat the greatest man alive RANDY COUTURE! This guy Ali.. Over .. what? thinks he can handle someone who did that is crazy maybe I’ll believe it when he fights some more creditable fighters with the exception of a going down hill cro-cop. He has lost to everyone who has been in UFC. Except Buentello but who doesnt beat him.