Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver II set for WEC 38 on Jan. 25

Multiple sources confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com on Tuesday afternoon that a rematch between former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber and former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver is set to take place at WEC 38 on Jan. 25 in San Diego, Calif.

Published reports had indicated that Faber’s next opponent would be up and coming featherweight prospect Jose Aldo but sources close to both Aldo and Pulver have revealed to Five Ounces of Pain that Faber’s next opponent is indeed Pulver.

Earlier this year, Faber and Pulver headlined the largest show in WEC history on June 1 in Sacramento, Calif. Considered one of the best fights of 2008, Faber retained his WEC featherweight title with a five-round unanimous decision victory.

Both fighters returned to action earlier this month in separate bouts on the same card at WEC 36 at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla. with both losing by way of first round TKO.

Faber, 21-2, lost his title in an upset against American Top Team’s Mike Thomas Brown after Brown finished him with punches at 2:23 of round 1. The loss ended Faber’s 13-fight winning streak.

Facing fellow former UFC lightweight Leonard Garcia, Pulver fell to 22-10-1 after he was TKO’d as a result of punches at 1:12 of round 1. In losing, the Miletich Fighting Systems product now has a 1-4 record in his last five fights.

So far, the WEC has yet to officially announce the Jan. 25 event, which has been widely reported by numerous outlets. Reports also indicate that Jamie Varner is expected to defend his WEC lightweight title on the same show against number one contender Donald Cerrone.

• Moe says:

I think it’s pretty much going to be the same fight as last time.

• JOe K. says:

They better show a bunch of fights on that card. None of this 4 fight bullshit!

• ihateemo says:

Good lord, WHY?

Pulver won’t make it five rounds this time given his poor outing against Garcia – and I say this as a fan of Pulver. Faber should be fighting Garcia for #1 contendership.

• Robert says:

I enjoyed the first fight so I don’t mind a rematch with both coming off a loss.A win here puts Pulver right back in the mix ,and it wouldn’t be a huge shock if he wins considering is punching power, also this is the perfect time to fight Faber again when his aura of invincibility is gone.This is a much more interesting fight than Liddell/Couture 4.

• Ross says:

wow, I thought the division was a little more stacked than that…..not really that interested in a rematch, this soon.

• steve says:

i’d like to see this fight, the first one was great. although i’d prefer Pulver faces someone else to get back on his feet, and Faber face Aldo for #1 contendership.

• Rich S. says:

i agree with ihateemo,

i’m a huge fan of Pulver, and it absolutely crushes me to see him lose, especially by KO..

and i’m sure that’s how this fight will end..

i mean, it ALMOST ended by KO last time, Faber had him hurt BAD [and threw a few back-of-the-head shots on top of that]

now,
    with that said,
    Pulver looked great in his fight with Garcia IMO..
    At one point, Pulver caught Garcia with a great punch [that for the first time in a long time showed Pulver still as some KO power]
    i think it’s unfortunate the way the bout ended, but Pulver wasn’t blocking properly, so it was bound to happen..

i think Faber would make quick work of Garcia..
    although he has heavy hands, i’ve noticed Garcia’s striking is pretty sloppy.. it’s kind of just haymaker after haymaker..
    i don’t think Faber would put up with that..

all in all,
    i think Jens should just take the same approach he took in the Swanson fight, in this one..
    and that is: take whatever you’re given.
    i know Jens realllly wants to knock Faber out for whatever reason, but he should really tune up his wrestling, and keeping working those submissions.. his sub victory over Swanson was one of the most badass things i’ve seen in a while [you know, i was expecting Jens to slug, and eventually get submitted, but he went out there and sub’d the submissionist in 40 seconds]

Faber was obviously DOMINATING the striking last time.. and i don’t get why, because Faber’s striking simply consisted of… overhand rights.. and that’s it.. the occasional jab.. but really, the whole time, he would just sneak that right in, back up, and wait for the next time to sneak another right in.. i was kind of shocked that Jens actually let him do that SAME PUNCH soooooo many times..

i’m not going to complain about this matchup, because i love watching both of these guys fight.. i just hope, whatever the outcome, that it’s a little more competitive than last time..

• Ft. Dub says:

REALLY? Why is this necessary now? You’re basically saying goodbye to Pulver if he loses and you further tarnish Faber if he loses. It’s time to rebuild the two biggest names in the division and not waste them immediately on each other.

• Patrick says:

They’re trying to kill Jens.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Horrible, horrible matchmaking.

• Andrew says:

I really dont see Faber losing again anytime soon that stupid elbow he tried to throw was him showing off because he is that good. Him getting knocked out will keep him honest and make him train that much harder. I just do not for see him losing again in a long time.

• Robert says:

Andrew, Faber tried some crazy shit when he lost to Tyson Griffin also. He will do something stupid again that will cost him another fight.It could happen in this rematch with Pulver you never know.

• bishop says:

why this fight? I guess they really want faber to win his next fight. jens is done..

• egad81 says:

I called this after the Faber loss. No surprise.
    Faber wont beat Brown or Garcia.
    I think mabe faber should go after Miguel Torres.
    I would love to see those guys fight

• King Solomon says:

yeah i wouldnt mind seeing a rematch.

Go Jens….

• Ian says:

Ridiculous match making.

The first fight was very good, but Faber dominated it from start to finish, leaving no doubt who the better fighter was.

It also had a lot of tangible story lines leading up to it. Pulver at the time, had never lost at 145 and he had looked really impressive in his win over Cub Swanson. We all know what’s happened since.

This fight should not be happening at all. The only reason I can think of is that Dana/Zuffa wants the WEC to go head to head with Affliction 2 and will move this card date back a day, using the 2 most recognizable names in that division fighting each other.

• Patrick says:

“Faber wont beat Brown or Garcia.”

Uh, are we talking about the same Faber here? I see Faber winning 8/10 times he fights either of those guys.

• king mah mah says:

I agree this is definitely better than the liddell/couture4 fight. I’ll be putting my money on pulver this time.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I’ll watch it, but it’s not the match up I’d like to see for Faber.

• buzzcramp says:

stupid fight for faber. he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. why he would take this fight is a mystery.

• john serf says:

I absoulutly hate this matchup I am a fan of Pulver but he is finished after this fight. I dont think Faber has what it takes to beat Garcia or Brown but he definitly has what it takes to beat Pulver. The Wec just wants faber as its champion because out of Pulver, Garcia, Brown and Faber who do you think makes the organization more money? Thats right faber. I personaly am upset at what the Wec is doing here. But Cerrone Vs Varner should be a great matchup.

• luke #2 says:

this will be good fight for Faber. comming off a loss hes commin with a vengance no bull shitin

• Jhazy says:

“Let Faber fight for number one contender and give Pulver an easier comeback fight. Then (assuming they both win), after the Brown/Garcia fight, let Faber fight the winner and Pulver fight the loser.”

I completely agree.

• cray says:

shit y would we wanna watch faber beat pulver again???
    we all kno brown got lucky n caught faber actin cocky….
    i think faber either gets a second shot at brown or at least gets 2 fite garcia 4 numba one contendership….tht would b alot more excitin

• CosaNostra says:

I called this after the Faber loss. No surprise.
    Faber wont beat Brown or Garcia.
    I think mabe faber should go after Miguel Torres.
    I would love to see those guys fight

Faber wont lose to brown again….garcia has sloppys jams

Faber wont make another dumb mistake

• Captain Jones says:

Big fight for Jens, a solid shot a redemption, I was at the first fight and will probably be at the second if Jens comes in like the young “little evil” aggressive, and straight 75% offense he can win this rematch, if it goes the distance it is either mans W.

• paula clow says:

i believe in pulver.he is a champion and always will be win or loose.will faber have that?maybe.but pulver does.i think people should read his book to see what kind of fighter he really is.he is my inspiration to keep tough.pulver just be you.love ya .good luck to you and all you love.