Joe Rogan comments on the Jon Fitch controversy

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan took time out this past weekend to address the controversy surrounding Jon Fitch in a post on the legendary Underground forums at MixedMartialArts.com.

“I think first and (foremost) that I’m happy Fitch didn’t get cut, or at least did and got brought right back on board,” Rogan began, before addressing criticism that has been directed towards UFC president Dana White.

“Dana is a very unconventional person,” he continued. “If you’re with him, you’re his friend and he’s the best guy in the world to have on your side. Conversely, if you’re against him he’s your worst [expletive] enemy.
Me personally, I like guys like that. You always know where you stand with them, and in my personal experiences with him I’ve found him to be very honest and very generous. Again, this is just my personal experience. I really, really like the guy, and I consider him a good friend.”

In regards to reports that the UFC decided to sever ties with Fitch over the fact that he initially balked at signing over his likeness to the promotion for the purposes of an upcoming UFC video game produced by THQ, Rogan said:

“I don’t completely understand the terms of this contract, but in a non-specific sense you could look at it two ways – you could either think of it as them making money off your likeness, and the fact that they can continue to do so as long as they like, or you could think of it as an awesome opportunity for publicity and exposure.

“This game is going to be [expletive] insane, and it’s going to be seen and played with by millions and millions of people, millions of times. For a popular fighter it’s a [expletive] awesome tool for exposure that has a level of impact that you really wouldn’t be able to recreate on your own. Obviously the more exposure you have, the more opportunities you’re going to have to cash in on that with sponsorships.”

During the course of the message, Rogan, an accomplished practitioner of tae kwon do and jiu-jitsu, tried to see things from both the perspective of the fighters, but also his long-time friend, White.

“I don’t always agree with every single thing Dana says, but I can tell you that without that guy this sport would have never gotten to the point where it is today,” said Rogan. “The dude is COMMITTED. He’s under a tremendous amount of pressure, and he works a tremendous amount of hours to keep this juggernaut that is the UFC moving.  If he somehow left this life it would take five other guys to replace him, and they would still probably wind up [expletive] it up.

“I think we’ve seen with the foldings of the IFL and EliteXC how hard this [expletive] really is to pull off.
I don’t agree with a lot of the things he says about fighters, but I know where it’s coming from.  He’s a passionate mother[expletive], and sometimes he gets a little crazy. Again, it’s that same energy that makes him great at what he does.”

Rogan concluded his post with sentiments shared by many loyal fans of the UFC.

“In the end I’m glad cooler heads prevailed and everything was worked out. I’m looking forward to seeing Fitch back in the Octagon. He’s one of those dudes that I believe is going to come back from a defeat and fight on a whole new level, and I can’t wait to see it,” he said.

• Tim H. says:

That is having your cake and eat it too. I can’t see Rogan calling down his employer but for someone who has made it his mission to call out another comic for being less than above board in his dealings it is hypocritical.

I doubt if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Rogan who was being dumped and slammed for not signing his rights away as an entertainer in perpetuity that he would be so soft on White.

• CW says:

> He’s walking a line on this one from alienating fighters to alienating his boss. What a pussy.

Yes, damn him for trying to look at the situation logically. That’s just no fun! We need more RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE already.

• Justin Van Hook says:

I like Joe Rogan but in this instance he is the definition of company schill. But I’m sure if my job was in the hands of an egomaniacal retard, I would probably say the same thing.

• ACK! says:

The problem is no one should lose their job because they refuse to sign away lifetime rights to their likeness. Joe didn’t even address that issue whatsoever.

Sure, it may be a good oppurtunity for publicity, but what about when Jon Fitch is the most popular fighter in the UFC or what if he leaves for another promotion? Actually, I can tell you that EA is making an MMA game as we speak and they’ve been known to pay big figures for licensing contracts… Don’t be surprised if fighters for Affliction, Strikeforce and other promotions see some decent ching in exchange for the use of their likenesses.

No matter how you look at this situation, it’s an underhanded move by the UFC to strip fighters of their rights, bargaining power, and ultimately their most basic posession.

• HexRei says:

his “rights as an entertainer in perpetuity”? What does that mean exactly? Like, any new comedy he produced would be property of Zuffa? Because that’s not really analogous to Fitch’s situation IMO.

• rbk says:

Nothing new here – Rogan walking the diplomatic tightrope. He sure won’t overtly criticize Dana lest he be punted from the money-making juggernaut…

• steve says:

hahaha Rogans awesome.

• dave george says:

My take on Dana White, and any one else trying to take advantage of these fighters, that are trying to make a living at this sport, and there short lived success is “Money is the root of all evil”.

• knucklehead says:

The UFC is getting too greedy. I hear and read over and over that the UFC does not treat their fighters well and this is a prime example. When you treat your fighters like this, you are burning bridges with your fan-base. MMA fans support the fighters and not the organization. Back to Joe Rogan, he is a cool guy and has my respect. Somehow he does the impossible – deal with ZUFFA while remaining a likable and respectable guy.

• mike wolfe says:

Dave George:

Actually, money isn’t the root of all evil. The love of money is the root of all evil. See 1 Timothy 6:10. That’s in the Bible, son. Word.

• Glen McCoy says:

If fighters don’t like the UFC or Dana it is a free country , they can Quit and go elsewhere.

• the shrimp says:

In spite of the profanity that is deleted in his comments, Joe Rogan handled this situation tactfully. While trying to preserve the reputation of his “good friend”, he does point to Dana White’s hot-headedness as the cause of the problem and credits the “cooler head” of one of the Fertitta brothers who intervened to resolve the problem.

• JCVD says:

It’s a blood sport, not to be confused with Bloodsport.

But in both people play for keeps.

• Tim says:

To Glen McCoy a few post back..

Amen brother, agree 100%

I thought Rogan did a good job here…