Report: Liddell vs. Couture IV could headline UFC event in Germany

British tabloid newspaper The Sun is reporting that former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell and five-time UFC champion Randy Couture could face each other for the fourth time during a tentative June event expected to take place in Cologne, Germany.

According to the report, the clash between iconic UFC fighters would take place as a heavyweight bout.

Couture most recently competed at last weekend’s UFC 91 event, where he dropped the UFC heavyweight title to Brock Lesnar following a second round TKO. The fight vs. Lesnar was the first time Couture at competed since successfully defending the heavyweight title vs. Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74 in August of 2007.

Liddell last competed at UFC 88 in September, where he was knocked out in the second round courtesy of Rashad Evans. The loss marked Liddell’s third defeat in his last four fights.

The Sun had previously reported that Liddell’s next bout was being discussed for a Feb. 21 event at the O2 Arena in London against current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. However, the paper is now indicating that while Silva is still expected to headline the show, that “(UFC V.P. of Talent Relations) Joe Silva is considering offering the Brazilian a fight with the loser of one of the two big light heavyweight clashes taking place at UFC 92 on December 27.”

If The Sun is correct, Silva’s opposition could be either Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson, Rashad Evans, or Wanderlei Silva. Silva is coming off a third round TKO victory due to injury against Patrick Cote on Oct. 25 at UFC 90 in Rosemont, Ill. Prior to the win over Cote, the native Brazilian made his light heavyweight debut in the UFC with a first round knockout over James Irvin at UFC Fight Night 14 in July.

In related news, the paper also adds that British welterweight Dan Hardy’s next fight is likely to take place in the UK next year against either Karo Parisyan or Diego Sanchez. Hardy made a successful UFC debut at UFC 89 on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England, earning a split decision victory over former PRIDE star Akihiro Gono.

• steve says:

this would be awesome.

• howdy says:

this makes way more sense then the silva vs liddell rumor.

• Robert says:

No thanks.

• Davey D says:

Well, it is about time Chuck considers a move to Heavyweight. I very interested too see how this goes down. What if Cro-Cop came back to fight one them also?

Anderson Silva versus anyone of those four would be outstanding. I think it is going to be him against Rampage. That would be fireworks all day.

I would also put Diego and Karo both on the London event. Sanchez vs. Hardy and Parisiyan vs. Hazelett sounds good to me. This card will fill out nicely as they always do.

• dpk says:

Got to go with Robert on this one, not really interested. Randy v Nog/Mir loser or Anderson Silva would be a lot more interesting to me.

• Handover Fist says:

If they’re giving Penn a shot at the 170 title then they should give Silva a title shot against the winner of Griffin/Evans.

How much do you want to bet the winner of Chuck vs Randy ends up with a title shot even though neither one deserves it.

A Chuck/Randy fight just doesn’t excite me very much.

• Davey D says:

Yeah, Randy versus Mir or Nogueira would be an excellent bout for sure. In that case, I hope it is Frank Mir.

• First-national-Dank says:

A wandy Vs Anderson fight would have me cream my shorts. I’m in agreement though, any of these 4 vs Anderson would be awesome.

• detroit_fan says:

I can’t believe anyone would be interested in this fight again.

• hindsightufuk says:

to anyone reading this from outside the UK, The Sun is a piece of shit newspaper, not a word written in it should be believed unless it is confirmed elsewhere. no idea how that dirt rag would get exclusive insider news on the UFC. Sounds like complete bollocks

• king mah mah says:

Yeah don’t think we need a 4th bout between the two, although I would still watch it. Still I would rather see Liddell vs. Anderson.

• JJ Docker says:

LOL at hindsights comment. Being a UK reisdent myself, your comment was firstly spot on and, secondly, reeked of good old Britishness.

• Rich S. says:

oh this would be a great fight..
    i think Randy would win now..

• Ell says:

surely they will not have Anderson fight one of the losers of the 2 lhw fights at ufc 92. that means they cannot announce a fight intil the end of December and tickets are on sale now with no fights being announced. Thats leaving it a bit late to announce a fight surely?

• Alvis says:

aye 10-1 the sun made that shit up.

its a gimp rag

• Brandon says:

I have zero interest in Randy / Chuck 4. I’d much rather see Randy face off with guys like Machida, Jackson, W. Silva, Franklin , Henderson etc….

They’ve milked that match up way to much already, time for some NEW fights.

• ACK! says:

Not especially interested in Liddell vs. Couture 4, but I fully support this just so we don’t have to watch Silva KO Liddell in a fight that has little meaning or relevance…

Rampage, Evans, Wanderlei, and Griffin all provide interesting matchups for Silva and any would be worthy of a main event (unlike Silva’s last two fights).

• Joey says:

This matchup has little relevance and won’t happen.

• lee says:

do not want

need fresh matchups

• MasterZero says:

This fight shouldn’t happen. Chuck’s obviously got Randy’s number. I hope the Brits on this forum are correct.

• curt says:

why? someone should slap the matchmaker, if they put on this fight.

• JoHn says:

sorry, im just not interested in liddell vs couture #398, i want to see how the vets stack up against the up and comers, i mean come on who would chuck fight after randy if he wins? Tito, lets keep this ball rolling and build up the up and comers instead of seein the same old stuff. granted i am a fan of both and it is not boring watching the two of them throw down but i want more

• 27jride says:

Why would they do that??? Chuck & Randy 4? Why? I hope it’s horse shit because it makes no sense at all. Who would even really care to see that? Don’t get me wrong I would watch it but it proves nothing and offers no advancement in reputation or rank to either opponent. That aside, Chuck can not compete at heavyweight and he HAS to know that. He’s my favorite fighter but c’mon, everyone has limits!

• ihateemo says:

I’m originally from the UK (I live in Texas now) and every time I see a US web site report on something that was suggested in The Sun I shake my head and discard it as baseless rumour.

That said – if it is true, who cares. A fourth fight? What for? Who’s aged better? Because it embarrasses them less to lose to each other than to some young up and comer?

Liddell is 1 for 4 right now, getting knocked out in two of those, and I want to see Liddell in competitive and exciting fights again, not a fourth match where the outcomes were so cut and dried that they inspired his opponent to retire on the spot. But then I don’t like the idea of Chuck being wheeled out to be stomped on Ken Shamrock-style by the younger and hungrier fighters either, so I’m not sure exactly what I would see Chuck doing. Either way, if he’s coming back he needs to beat someone top tier – perhaps the Anderson Silva fight is Chuck’s last chance to show everyone why he was so feared in the first place.

Couture should go back to light heavyweight. Thiago Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Rampage, Lyoto Machida, Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin…I’d love to see Randy fight any of those guys.

• Vino says:

Styles make fights!

I would much rather see Liddell vs Anderson Silva than another Couture fight.

• Bullylover says:

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE. THIS MATCH UP LOST IT’S APPEAL YEARS AGO. I SEE THESE fights silva/liddel. 0r liddell/kongo, silva/rampage or silva/griffin, coutoure/mir-or-nog, coutoure /machida.

• matthew says:

can anyone say “milk the dead cow?”

• Zach says:

Anderson Silva vs Wanderlei Silva would be great but will never happen because they train together and are good friends. Anderson Silva vs. Rashad Evans would be interesting

Editor’s Note: Zach, this is completely inaccurate. Anderson Silva and Wanderlei Silva do not train together. And to my knowledge, a friendship between the two does not exist.