twitter google

Report indicates that Paulo Filho has been released from the UFC/WEC

In a report that comes as no surprise, the Nov. 17 print edition of the Wrestling Observer gives strong indications that WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho has been released from his contract by Zuffa officials.

“Not only will Paulo Filho’s middleweight championship be forgotten, but Filho himself will be after his performance on the show, as it’s all but a lock that Filho won’t be moved to UFC,” one excerpt states.

However, later in the issue, while addressing Fabricio Werdum’s UFC departure, an even more definitive statement is made.

“There is zero criticism I’ve seen of (Zuffa) cutting Paulo Filho, who was 16-0 coming into his fight (vs. Chael Sonnen) but his cut wasn’t over money but that the person who was in that cage has no business fighting at this time,” writes Observer publisher Dave Meltzer.

Filho received $30,000 for his unanimous decision loss to Sonnen at WEC 36 earlier this month. He had been scheduled to earn $41,000 as his “show” guarantee but was forced to forfeit a portion of his purse to Sonnen after failing to make the contracted weight limit of 185 pounds. It is believed that had Filho made weight and won that he could have earned an additional $41,000 in the form of a win bonus.

Filho’s middleweight title had been scheduled to be at stake but the fight was changed to a non-title affair after the native Brazilian weighed in at 192.5 pounds during his initial weigh-in attempt. The former PRIDE Bushido standout was given two additional hours to make weight but he registered at 189.5 pounds during his second and final attempt.

Zuffa will be officially closing the WEC’s middleweight and light heavyweight divisions following its WEC 37 event on Dec. 3. Top names such as Sonnen, Steve Cantwell, Brian Stann, Mark Munoz, and Jake Rosholt have been confirmed as being transferred to the UFC. Filho was considered to be a strong candidate for the move as well but his erratic behavior, failure to make weight, and pay scale likely contributed in a decision to drop cut his contract.

Additionally, Filho also been adamant that he would not face current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva due to their friendship and had expressed a desire to compete as a light heavyweight. Taking away the UFC’s ability to match Filho up with its champion at 185 coupled with a stated desire to compete in the UFC’s stacked light heavyweight division despite being listed as only 5’8″ no doubt further hurt his stock in the eyes of Zuffa.

A request for comment by Five Ounces of Pain from Filho’s manager, Ed Soares, was not immediately returned.

16 COMMENTS
  • paddiosf says:

    Doesnt surprise me, it’s really sad to see such a talent like Fihlo released but he is a shell of himself I think he has alot of personel problems he needs to tend to and get his personnel life together first then back to fighting…Good Luck Paulo

  • KMac says:

    I hope he gets his issues straightened out and then is afforded an opportunity to come back to the UFC. When he’s at his best, he’s an amazing fighter.

  • Robert says:

    Couldn’t agree more.

  • neon says:

    wishing him all the best just a sad situation

  • Carm says:

    Yeah, he just looked like crap. Like he was sick or depressed or something. I felt bad for Sonnen. Kinda a lose lose situation for him.

  • Jason G says:

    This kinda reminds me of the downfall of Kerr or Rizzo.

  • the Levi says:

    maybe he should take a year off from fighting, and get his head on straight.I would like to seee him come back in the future if he is 100 % mentally healthy.

  • Robthom says:

    Still no official reason for werdum ?
    I never got a chance to get familiar or attached to filho enough to miss him. Him coming or going is all greek to me. But I’m still kind of concerned that Verdum was cut before a bunch of other guys on roster who have worse records, less potential, boring fights and similarly overpaid.
    Herring? Vera? Gurgel?

  • ihateemo says:

    Herring hasn’t had a “boring” fight since the O’Brien lay-and-pray loss.

    Vera probably has one more loss before the UFC decides to attempt to cut his pay, unless he gets that killer instinct back.

    Gurgel just won a (well-deserved) fight of the night bonus and doesn’t really make bank, so I don’t see why he’d get dropped.

  • Bad Monkey says:

    Next stop: The Nut House.

  • Robert says:

    Very funny.

  • steve says:

    i think its a poor move to cut him (if its true). i feel they should give him time to straighten himself out.

  • Dr,Stoppage says:

    Affliction will sign him.

  • Dr,Stoppage says:

    Ooops…I mean if Affliction is still around in the spring.

  • Mr. obvious says:

    If the winner of Fihlo vs. Sonnen was set to fight Silva and Fihlo did not want to fight Silva seems clear as day why he did what he did.

    How many fighters now are too good of friends with Anderson Silva to fight him?

  • Bullylover says:

    Man his last performance was probably the worst in mma history? Does anybody know who he was talking to during the fight or was he just wigging out? Whatever the case hopefully he makes it back in the ufc soon i’d love to see him take on Silva or Franklin,those would be some killer fights. Did someone say maia vs filho

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.