A heavyweight attraction between former UFC title challenger Paul Buentello and Russian prodigy Kiril Sidelnikov is now set for the undercard of Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” event on Jan. 24, according to a report by SI.com’s Josh Gross.
The fight will be a part of HDNet’s telecast of the event’s undercard, which will be anchored by a light heavyweight bout between Vladimir Matyushenko and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.
The addition of Sidelnikov is intriguing because he is one of the world’s top fighters under the age of 21 and his fight with Buentello will mark the first time the young Russian has competed on U.S. soil.
Nicknamed “Baby Fedor” by his mentors with the Russian Red Devil fight team, Sidelnikov is 4-2 in his young career. The 20-year old is considered a prodigy and a potential successor to Emelianenko as Russia’s top heavyweight fighter.
Competing exclusively for Vadim Finkelstein’s M-1 promotion, Sidelnikov is considered a dangerous puncher with all four of his victories having been stopped in the first round. His most recent bout took place in September during an M-1 Challenge event in the United Kingom, where he was victorious against James Jack.
Buentello is 26-10 in an MMA career that dates back to 1997. In addition to having competed for the UFC, Buentello has also fought for Strikeforce. He holds notable wins over David “Tank” Abbott, Justin Eilers, and Mike Kyle. His most recent fight was a unanimous decision victory over Gary Goodridge during Affliction’s debut event this past July.
The reporting of the Buentello vs. Sidelnikov brings the “Day of Reckoning” card into greater focus, with a tentative lineup appearing as follows:
- Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski (officially announced)
- Josh Barnett vs. TBA (Barnett is being featured in advertisements)
- Matt Lindland vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral (officially reported)
- Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon (rumored)
- Jay Hieron vs. Jason High (officially reported)
- Vitor Belfort vs. TBA (officially reported)
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (officially reported for the undercard)
- Paul Buentello vs. Kiril Sidelnikov (officially reported for the undercard)