Phillipe Nover TUF 8 Blog: Dave Kaplan’s rampage; the legend of Al Stankie; Nogueira vs. Mir $18,000 soccer match; and more

Dave’s reaction to the fight was surprising. He still could not accept that he lost. His excuse was using the wrong game plan. He said, “I wanted to take Phillipe’s best punches and show him that he can’t hurt me.”

Now that is just plain stupid.

No one plans on getting hit during a fight. In any fight each person tries to avoid getting hit. If that was really his game plan, then he’s a moron.

The night after the fight he made himself look like a fool. Drinking urine with Tom and getting punched in the face by Tom. It just made him look even more foolish. I believe he did this only to get camera time. Well, it worked — he got a few minutes of camera time!

What wasn’t shown was him holding the cup of urine and trying to chase camera men as if he was going to throw it at them. He got out of control. At one point an assistant producer had to remind him not to mess with the camera men. That was a specific rule we were to follow: “Camera men do not exist. Don’t look at them! Don’t talk to them!”

The pranks were hilarious on this episode. Making Krzysztof’s room the “UFC Storage Room” cracked me up. Notice no one really helped him clean the room up. I felt bad for him after that. But Krystof is a funny guy and his prank pretty much screwed the whole house.

I remember waking up that morning and walking into the kitchen to eat breakfast. Seeing the kitchen table missing, I knew something was up! Krzysztof, myself, and most of the guys were upset that no one cleaned their dishes after they ate. I was furious about this. I personally need to live in a clean house. I will never leave a dish int he sink overnight. People took advantage and lived like slobs. So Krzysztof’s prank sort of punished everyone especially those who didn’t feel like washing dishes was necessary.

The coaches challenge was a great surprise. I think Nogueira is a true sportsman. Even though he never played soccer before he still pulled out the win! As soon as we got there he started warming up. He put on the soccer gear; like knee pads and gloves and really got into it. He was dripping sweat trying to win the match. He jumped and leaped to block out balls. I was proud of him. He knew each fighter on the team could really use the $1,000 each and the pressure was on. Mir should have got into it a little more. I mean, it is an $18,000 soccer match!

Al Stankie’s is a great character on the show. He kept our spirits high and brought a sort of old school boxing environment to training. He doesn’t know much about MMA, takedowns or ground work. “Why go on the ground and smell all those farts when you can just beat him on the feet,” he said. I like working with him as did most of the guys on our team. His combos were more related to straight boxing though. It didn’t matter. I just needed to get my punches out for a few rounds.

Things you should know about Al: he screams out funny things during training all the time like “Manchita!”  I think that’s his Mexican girlfriend. “Ain’t nothing but a party, baby!” Also “HOEEEE!” and much more!
Stankie loves flirting with young girls. He one time interrupted a cast meeting and ask one of the assistant producers to come home with him as a joke. He wears rash guards and beanies all the time even in public and at restaurants. His son was a New York Yankee, Andy Stankowitz. He has a great vibrating massage machine that feels incredible on my back. He talks a lot and sometimes doesn’t stop. But overall he was fun to be around and I enjoyed him as did everyone else on the show, including the production personnel.

Regarding the fight, I was sad to see Kyle lose. I agree with Nogueira that he acted like team leader. If you analyzed his attitude after the fight you can see what kind of a person he is. He was still proud to have fought Krzysztof. He accepted that he needs to work on his ground game. He is a good team player and has a great outlook on fighting. He took the loss gracefully. I’m also proud of Krzysztof. He is an excellent fighter with so much experience. I see him taking his career far. He also has a great heart fighting with what I thought looked like a broken thumb.

• AG Silver says:

From what we’ve been able to see on the show, Kaplan acts like a real douche. Frankly, so does Mir. (I shouldn’t be surprised they now train together.) If Mir really is the superior athlete, why did he put virtually no effort in the soccer competition? Was this due to the editing or did Mir really do very little to try and win? And for him to claim the competition was rigged to favor Nogueira seems like a case of sour grapes.

On a personal note… it was great seeing you at NAGA this past weekend, Phillipe! Keep up the great work with your weekly blog. Hope to see you fighting for the contract on Dec 13th.

• Patrick says:

Does Kaplan really think he didn’t go unconscious after Tom hit him?

He was out, completely out, muscles seized up, head tilted, limbs in odd positions straight up knocked the hell out. I’m not really sure I understand why Kaplan keeps pushing this kind of stuff out there, he should of just got in front of the camera after that happened and said “First time for everything”. To deny it was just … bleh.

Also, Krzysztof pretty much executed a textbook level 1 arm bar, Kyle definitely does need to get some training from Nog.

Big Nog is one of the best things on this show, if you didn’t like him before, you sure as hell have to now. Nicest guy ever.

• GhostMilk says:

Good episode – I always admired Nog as a great fighter but obviously he’s also a wonderful coach and a great human being.

• Grappo says:

Mir has been really disappointing as I learn more about his personality through the show. Not his fault since he’s just being himself, but he often comes off like a typical cocky trash-talking jock, and I had always thought he was better than that.

It’s the opposite for Nogueira. His persona was always a mystery to me, but now I see what a great guy he is. No question who I will be rooting for.

• Eric says:

Grappo – same here. I can’t wait for Big Nog to win their fight.

And for Kaplan to deny he was knocked out was astounding. He just can’t admit defeat of any kind. I guess his gameplan against Lawlor was to pretend he was unconscious to boost Tom’s confidence.

• damon says:

I agree about Mir. I thought he had more class than he is showing every week. He has become a pretty big douche and I hope Nog destroys him. At first I was giving him a break on not calling out Junie for his behavior, but I see that he really didn’t see anything wrong with his antics and they are cut from the same cloth.

• Brian G says:

Phillipe is such a good ambassador for the sport. I really hope he dismantles BJ Penn when he gets his title shot. From what I’ve seen so far, it’s not a question of if, but when.

• Sam Bronx, NY says:

All of you guys are preaching to the choir! Mir & Toolie Browning are cut from the same cloth. I thought Mir was a cool guy, but he and almost his whole team are a bunch douche bags…its unbelievable!

I was hoping Kryz would not be able to fight, would be sent home, I am not watching TUF to see these guys freeze each others underwear.

I think the serial hugger is going to win the last fight to bring Big Nog’s Team.

• DIAZ says:

Yea Mir really looks like an A-hole, I thought differnt of him, I guess seeing him as a commentator on the WEC is what made me think he was some what a respectful competitor. I imagine he lost alot of fans for the way he put himself out there. He is a really big sore looser always some excuse on why he lost, its never his fault..
    Also whats up with Kaplans head, he looks as if he should be part of the Thanks giving parade here in NYC, Dude looks like his head was filled with helium.
    Nover you still working up in CI hosp? or you a fulltime fighter now?

• Patrick says:

Brian… uh… maybe bringing up B.J. Penn and Nover in the same sentence is a little premature.

Not meaning any disrespect towards Philipe here, but we haven’t seen enough of his fights to accurately judge how he’ll do against UFC level competition, much less against the best lightweight fighter in the world.

• modogg says:

man, Kaplan truly is delusional so don’t let it bother you Phillipe. You have to love how people’s defense mechanisms come in and they have to create defense mechanisms to protect their ego. If his strategy was to let you punch him in the face, which is possibly the worst game plan ever heard of, he would have been more likely to have his hands down like Junie did and dare you to punch him. It was obvious your speed was too much for him and his stand up defense was non-existent. I mean you were peppering him right between his arms, and you could see him stunned a bit and not be able to block any of your punches.

• seaking1810 says:

Frank Mir has to be the worst coach / biggest douchebag ever. He reminds me of Shamrock, his best days are behind him. He may have been a big deal several years ago but his star power has faded. He comes off as a typical high school football meat head. I’m surprised we haven’t seen him shove someone into a locker or give them a wedgie. What a classless A$$hole. You can see what his character is when he didn’t even try to win the coaches challenge. Nog went out and did his best to win for his team, he knew they could use the money. Nog has made a fan out of me. I don’t think Mir is anywhere near the same level in BJJ that Nog is, I hope he gets his ass kicked and sent packing once and for all.

• ihateemo says:

I hate to say it, but this show has put me off Mir as well. That whole “I’m the superior athlete” nonsense notwithstanding, he should have reined in Junie from the get go.

It sucks and it’s upsetting, because I think he comes across as a smart and likable guy when he’s colour commentating on WEC fights. TUF has made him out to be an arrogant meathead.

Bleh.

• AG Silver says:

I completely agree with you, ihateemo!

It’s funny how opinions of people can change based on how they present themselves. On WEC, I think there’s no one better except for maybe Rogan (and that’s more from experience than know-how). But on TUF, it looks like they’re making Mir out to be the villain in this match-up. Esp. since Big Nog seems so darned likable.

• Dball says:

Hey if anyone is curious, the show didnt show probably the must fowl, F*cked up thing anyone has done in the house. (its beyond the beat session on the sushi) Ryan Bader blogs on yahoo under MMA and its on there.

Also, i agree with patrick above. Def should not have nover and Penn in the same rational thought. Although he did look impressive this week, he almost did not make it on the show because of a battle with Duarte. Too early to make that prediction after 2 fights one of which he couldve lost.

• MMAfan says:

I busted out laughing when Kaplan told Tom to punch him….you could almost here the benny hill music in the background. OF COURSE he was going to get knowcked out…..glorious.

• romano says:

• Rich S. says:

man,
    i’m a fan of Mir, have been for a long time.
    But he was being a real dick on the show last night.
    All that crap about him being a far better athlete than Nog, and totally dissing Nog’s athleticism was really starting to piss me off..

The reason i LIKE Mir is because he’s one of the more respectful fighters out there.
    But that was a total show of disrespect.

PS – Kaplan’s pretty stupid for trying to play off getting knocked cold for the better half of a minute [well, as far as we know]

• Grappo says:

“i love the way people make their minds up on the character of Mir based on a heavily edited tv shows…i haven’t seen this sort of knee jerk reaction outside of the Simpsons, South Park or congress in my life. Online mma fans need to clean the sand out of their collective vaginas.”

I haven’t made my mind up about Mir, but I did say his remarks and attitude have been disappointing. No doubt the show is heavily edited and skews things a certain way, but the fact is he did say the things he said, and the criticism is valid.

It’s no different than people being turned off to Junie or anyone else because of their behavior on the show.

• Adonai18 says:

Mir definitely seems like a cocky asshole. When wathcing the show I always think “damn if I was in that house I would definitely want to be on Nog’s team.” Nog just seems like an all-around good guy who respects his fighters and wants the best for them. Class-act all the way. As for Mir being a better athlete I just don’t see the relevance, they are fighters and thats all that really matters. Mir might shoot a basketball better, but when that cage door closes I will take Nog everytime. Admittedly, Nog might not be the greatest athlete in the world, but he possesses qualities that enhance his ability immensely. He has more heart than Mir and his whole team combined, and he always puts every ounce of energy that man has into his fights, or a soccer shootout, or training his fighter. He has quickly became one of my favroite fighters and he is hands down the best TUF coach in history

• Eric says:

romano-

Mir called Nog’s team members “losers”. That wasn’t taken out of context. That was a direct quote. He has been in favor of the stupid antics on the show all season and that makes him look like a dick. They could edit the show however they would like, but if he acts like an ass and I don’t agree with it, it doesn’t mean I’m not smart enough to see through the shit. It means Mir is making himself out to be a cocky, immature child and I’m not a fan of that.

• warmingo says:

kaplin is a douche. I am hoping he dosent get to fight at fight night. I also hope klingspisberry dosent either

War Junie

• Dball says:

I dont see where everyone is saying Kaplan was knocked out. Like seriously get a clue. This reminds of when Quarry got “knocked out” by Franklin…pshhh…sure at first glance it looked like Quarry was going through convulsions (or possibly even the early stages of rigor mortis)…but if u watch and look closely, hes still obviously throwing a defensive up kick…worst stoppage ever. (dont even get me started on Gonzaga-CroCop)

Seriously Dave Kaplan…please stop. If i was there i would have gotten out the smelling salts, electro-shocks, and an old priest and a young priest.

• THORAZINE says:

“ i love the way people make their minds up on the character of Mir based on a heavily edited tv shows…i haven’t seen this sort of knee jerk reaction outside of the Simpsons, South Park or congress in my life. Online mma fans need to clean the sand out of their collective vaginas.”

ROMANO… IS THAT U FRANK?

• THORAZINE says:

1ST lets cap on Kaplan… he ate splooshi knowing it was a risk, took mutliple shots to that dome of his on purpose?..(how could Phillipe miss?). Got KO’d and didn’t admit it. This guy is in total denial, and lacks common sense, he’s got the body of a 135lbr and head of a heavyweight, no way is this guy gonna’ last in the UFC to easy a target.

2ND Frank Mir… I’ve always thought this guy was arrogant but after reading Kyle’s interview you can add Self Centered to Mir’s personality. Mir was there only 1/2 the time to coach. Winning, the $1,000 for each team member wasn’t even a factor for Mir. To Top all that, Mir choose Kaplan to be his 155lb protege??…LMAO! Lets face it Mir is not that good a commentator, just right place right time when they were looking for a fighter/commentator, the guys now are much more articulate than Mir is, even Stephen Bonner and he’s done very little commentating.

I really like all the guys on Nogs team, he knows how to pick ’em and how to coach, I know Nog is gonna beat the living hell out of Mir. Keep up the good work Phillipe ur a credit to MMA young man!

• bloodspud says:

I think TUF is going for a Face/ Heel (good/bad) for the fight between Mir and Nog.