Affliction believed to be interested in Ricardo Arona

There are indications that Ricardo Arona, once considered a consensus top ten light heavyweight, could be on the verge of ending his extended hiatus from competitive mixed martial arts.

Arona has not competed since April 8, 2007, when he suffered an upset loss against Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou during PRIDE’s final show after being knocked out at just 1:59 of round 1.

Considered one of the best pure grapplers in MMA at 205 pounds, Arona is believed to be drawing interest from Affliction Entertainment.

According to a recent article at GracieMag.com, interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is quoted as saying that Affliction has sent out feelers for Arona.

“It’s not just Brazilian fans who are looking forward to a return from Arona,” Nogueira is quoted as saying. “The folks at Affliction have already sent a message through my brother Rogerio. ‘We would like to hire Arona, we want to see him fighting in our events, you may tell him that – we want to negotiate with Arona now.'”

Arona is 13-5 in his professional MMA career with notable wins over Wanderlei Silva, Alistair Overeem, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, Dan Henderson, Jeremy Horn, Dean Lister and Kazushi Sakuraba. If signed by Affliction, he would join a light heavyweight division that includes Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Vladimir Matyushenko, Mike Whitehead, and Renato “Babalu” Sobral.

• Nick says:

it’s about time….
    can’t wait to see how this plays out and if he signs who he’d fight first.

• banter says:

Never has an org gotten so much print for doing so little.

• matt says:

Seriously, how about Affliction runs more than 1 show before people start getting so Suped on them. Sherdoggers have decided they are the best org. They overpayed for almost every fighter and then cancel a show, announce a deal with Golden Boy which turns out to be not so much a partnership as a competition deal.

I dunno, until they hold a PPV once ever other month, I’ll hold my breath before calling them anything more than a buncha idiots running a fight org.

• paddiosf says:

he’s one of my favorite fighters but I wish the UFC signed him but he needs to get back in the fight game..I just think Dana and Zuffa may feel like Ok if you sign to fight with the enemy I’ll never ever let you fight with Us..

• paddiosf says:

• Rich B says:

Why has be been on the sidelines for so long?

• banter says:

Rich B

Tragedy with his sister being kidnapped and murdered also I believe he has some personal deamons.

• Fightlinker.com says:

That’s Vitor Belfort you’re thinking of. Then again, this is South America we’re talking about so hey maybe you’re right too!

• Jye says:

I think that’s Belfort your talking about. But I could be wrong……. Personally I’m not a big fan of Arona, his jits is all about controlling his opponent, he doesn’t really use submissions (reminds me a lot of Tito). However outside the UFC there’s not a lot of quality talent at Light Heavy Weight and I wouldn’t mind watching a fight between him and Tito

• Robert says:

With the unified rules and Arona being able to utilize elbow strikes his ground and pound could be lethal. He will be an asset to any organization that gets him under contract.

• banter says:

You’re right FL and JYE….thanks for the clear up.