Affliction exec’s radio outburst could cost company relationship with Couture and a chance to sign Carano

It appears that Affliction general partner Todd Beard’s outburst during an impromptu appearance on “The Scott Ferrall Show” on Sirius Satellite Radio earlier this month might have caused even more harm than first thought.

In addition to ridiculing UFC owners Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White, Beard also took aim at UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture.

Couture, whose Xtreme Couture clothing label is manufactured and distributed by Affliction, is scheduled to defend his title vs. Brock Lesnar on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas.

“Randy, if you’re listening right now, I hope (expletive) Lesnar kills you,” Beard said in anticipation of the matchup.

In the days immediately proceeding the comments, Couture gave strong hints that the outburst could cause him to end all ties with the clothing maker/MMA promotional company. It now appears in recent days though that the other shoe has dropped.

“I’m not terribly surprised by anything (Beard) does at this point,” Couture is quoted as telling Yahoo Sports! and ESPN Radio 1100’s Steve Cofield. “He’s been a bit of a loose cannon our entire relationship. Now he’s pushed it over the line where it’s not re-salvageable.”

If losing Couture wasn’t bad enough, it appears Beard’s vitriol could cost Affliction Entertainment a chance to promote Gina Carano’s future MMA fights, most notably a superfight against Cris Cyborg.

Carano trains out of Couture’s Xtreme Couture gym in Las Vegas and is not only routinely cornered by Couture’s wife, Kim, during her fights, but is also represented by the same manager as Couture, Matt Walker, of The Wasserman Group.

According to a report by Fighters Only Magazine’s website, which indicated that Carano and Cyborg are looking to sign their next MMA contract in tandem so that they can fight each other, Carano isn’t so sure that Affliction will be an option for her.

“There’s a bit of a barrier between me and Affliction,” Carano is quoted as saying in the report. “You know, with Randy and that whole thing. ”

• Davey D says:

I think Zuffa should create a womens divison in the WEC. There is definatly a market for it and with their resources. They could make it a very exciting event for the women who compete. Strikeforce could very well end up with the Carano/Santos bout if Zuffa doesn’t chose to pick it up.

As for Affliction, Tom Antencio seems like a very respectful guy. His business partner on the other sounds like a loose cannon. I think Beard ought to stay behind the scenes and not ruin any relationship’s that could come back to haunt them. In their case, word of mouth can help them but also destroy them. Take it easy fella’.

• Powers says:

This dumbass shot himself in the foot.
    Strikeforce is probably going to be the ones to pickup the women.

• Robert says:

I think Randy Couture should not be surprised with Affliction being unhappy with him. I mean how dumb can he be. He resigns from the UFC and his title,and goes to people like Mark Cuban has him file litigation on his behalf in court to find out when his UFC contract expires so he can fight Fedor. Then Affliction brings him into the ring with Fedor after the main event of their first show to help promote a fight between the two, the same company that produces all his Xtreme Couture gear and apparel. Then a does a complete flip flop signs a new 3 fight deal with the UFC and can’t wear any of his gear because Affliction is banned in the UFC so he no longer wants anything to do with their company. Now he wants to act surprised when they are a little pist off OH really. I can’t wait till he gets his ass kicked to.

• Stan the Caddy says:

I’d be great to see Zuffa get into the mix with a woman’s division in the WEC but I got to think we’ll be seeing Strikeforce pick up the ball and run with it. Carano and Kimblow will be welcomed with opening arms on NBC.

• jj420 says:

sounds like a key part of the interview is missing.

who just randomly blurts out that they hope someone is going to get killed in a fight…

• KTru says:

There may not have been the whole interview represented in this article, but you get the jist of it. Beard is just another hot-headed idiot that needs to shut up.

• Patrick says:

And let this be a lesson to Affliction: Don’t fuck with your own business partners, they probably won’t appreciate it.

• Robert says:

If Carano makes a decision on her future based on who Randy Couture decides he’s not doing business with this week is a huge mistake. He may change his mind the week after that and so on. She would be best served distancing herself from Randy and Kim Couture.

• John says:

A female fighters’ division in the WEC actually sounds great, and it would go along well with their current idea to dissolve the light-heavyweght and middleweight divisions to focus on the lighter weights. Adding at least one women’s division would bolster the already strong slate of lighter-weight fighters in the WEC, and everyone knows the lighter weights are often the more exciting.

As for Affliction, their lack of consistent shows and cult popularity worries me, and this jackass only makes it seem worse. I wonder whether Affliction can survive much longer than EliteXC, and if so, it might only be because of Golden Boy Promotion’s backing.

• DamonO says:

Why doesn’t Zuffa create a women’s fighting organization called UFFC or Ultimate Female Fighting Championship. Hell it works out perfectly with the letters and all. Why the hell not? What other top dog in this tight knitted group of UFC promotions will promote women’s fighting better than the UFC itself?

• DamonO says:

As for Affliciton surviving I sure hope they do because I want to see everyone fight. Seeing the UFC put on 2 events a month just doesn’t cut it. Thank you for the replays on Spike and HDNET and occasionally Versus. I want more live action!

I believe that Randy saw that Affliction was going down so he jumped back on the guys who will pay him for years to come, opposed to the guys who will pay him for maybe two events before they go under.

• hola says:

i think randy just releaized that he wasn’t going to fight with fedor. Court battles were happening, keeping him on lockdown. Sure he wants the superfight but i think his ball re-dropped and he figured out he needs to go back to where he had his original contract. Yeah he signed a new one, but he knows that biting the hand that fed him, hurt him bad.
    his clothing line with aflfliction maye be hurt but warrior, hostility and others will jump on board to help him make shirts.
    Plus in the ufc again he gets xtreme couture advertising again, for his gyms and shirts, no need to wear the shirts we all know what they are.

• goodguy says:

I don’t care who she fights for as long as Gina is on a national broadcast again soon. Personally, I would pay for any event that she is involved with. Of course, the laundry list of things I would pay to see Gina do is longer than a 6 year olds Christmas list!!!

• HexRei says:

DamonO on November 9th, 2008 12:26 am

Sengoku, Dream, Strikeforce… I mean I agree that we need more MMA but there is more on than you seem to think.