Affliction and Golden Boy poised to go head-to-head on Jan. 24

Despite a partnership between Golden Boy Promotions and Affliction Entertainment that was heralded at one point by Affliction COO Michael Cohen as an event that would “change the world of mixed martial arts,” Oscar De La Hoya’s fight outfit could be poised to go head-to-head with Affliction’s second-ever pay-per-view on Jan. 24.

Published reports indicate that Golden Boy could be close to finalizing a Jan. 24 date on HBO between welterweight champion Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley.

“I love that idea and am very happy about that fight. I have agreed to it,” Mosley is quoted as saying in a recent ESPN.com report by Dan Rafael. “[Golden Boy CEO] Richard [Schaefer] and me spoke about the fight and I said yes and agreed to the terms, so the ball is in Margarito’s and Top Rank’s court. I am ready for that fight. I can’t wait. Now it’s up to Margarito to work his deal out with his promoter.”

This latest development calls into further question the strength of the Affliction and Golden Boy partnership.

At the time of the announced partnership between Affliction and Golden Boy on Sept. 13, three bullet points were listed in a press release to highlight what the pact between the two companies would entail. The deal points included Affliction creating a signature Affliction shirt sold on-site and at retail outlets nationwide for major boxing events; Affliction becoming the official apparel licensee for the Golden Boy-owned Ring Magazine; the two companies promoting events featuring both boxing matches as well as MMA bouts on the same cards.

However, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has said in recent weeks that in response to public criticism of the concept, the company will not promote boxing fights on the same card as MMA.

“Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that they’ve had a change of heart and will keep the sports separate,” Rafael wrote on Oct. 24. “…The idea of both sports on the same card was heavily criticized, which Schaefer acknowledged was part of the decision.”

If you subtract boxing from the equation, there doesn’t appear to be anything more to the Affliction/Golden Boy deal outside of an agreement to sell t-shirts.

While boxing and MMA aren’t believed to share a large crossover audience, the fact that Golden Boy is eyeing Jan. 24 as the date to promote what would be the first major boxing fight of 2009 opposite another event that it allegedly has business ties to speaks volumes. The UFC is promoting events in January on the 17th and 31st yet Golden Boy is still choosing to go head-to-head with Affliction’s pay-per-view with a free event of its own on HBO.

With business partners like that, who needs adversaries?

• Patrick says:

They listened to commentary and criticism… awesome!

• Tony Fennen says:

HBO plays their boxing events like every 4 hours. I wont effect the PPV one bit.
    People that buy PPV for MMA dont worry about boxing. (at least the people I know)

• skwirrl says:

Had the HBO event been PPV then it might be competition. As it is my DVR will be on HBO HD and Affliction and my TV will be tuned to the Affliction bout. Margarito and the short lived beatdown he puts on Mosley will be there waiting for me.

• Robert says:

Affliction did not need to put boxing on their cards anyway if they put on good fights, promote events right and stop overpaying 300,000 dollars to fighters like Matt Lindland there’s no reason they can’t go their own way.

• Simon Cason says:

This shit’s starting to get real old, real fast. What happened to T-shirt guy saying he wanted to take care of his fighters, keep them busy, keep them happy, keep them paid. So far I haven’t seen any of this from the “UFC’s biggest threat”. As soon as Affliction starts promoting monthly shows instead of every 6 months, I won’t regard them as competition to anyone. With the way things are with the economy, It seem’s like a really bad time to be an upstart org. I dont think you can consider Affliction to even be on the WEC’s radar, let alone being any real big threat to the UFC. Where’s the momentum? Where’s the desire to see some unknown org. who is only working on their 2nd show, now cancelled or re-scheduled twice over.

• Robert says:

Simon Cason why would you have to regard them as a threat or competiton do you work for the UFC, are you employed in some way by Zuffa? Don’t you hope they succeed putting on good fight shows? If Affliction does continue to promote MMA shows and are successful it does not mean the UFC or WEC or any other promotion has to go out of business.It’s all right for people to watch and enjoy other MMA outside of Zuffa control. Dana White can still be your hero.

• mikemick says:

The only way I would watch the Mosley boxing match is if it were on the Affiliction card. Yes, I have HBO HD, and yes I have a DVR that can record 2 programs at once, but it isn’t worth the storage space if you ask me. MMA is dominating the younger crowd. If boxing wants to try to redevelop itself to the 18-30 year old demographic, then they need to pull out all of the stops. If the Mosley fight was on the Affliction card, then I would watch it, just because it’s right there in front of me. Hell, maybe I’d even like it and take an interest in boxing.

I’m not saying I want boxing on my MMA cards, but I am saying that boxing should be trying to get on MMA cards to change people’s (like me) minds about boxing.

• Jason says: