Paulo Filho misses weight by seven pounds for Wednesday’s title fight

World Extreme Cagefighting held its weigh-ins for tomorrow’s WEC 36 event Tuesday afternoon at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla. The normally mundane practice of public weigh-ins became  noteworthy after three fighters failed to make weight on their first attempt.

Most notable is the fact that WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho weighed in for Wednesday night’s rematch vs. Chael Sonnen at 192 pounds — seven pounds over the contracted weight of 185 pounds. Fighters are only given a one pound allowance in the state of Florida in non-title fights.

In addition to Filho, Mike Brown missed his contracted weight of 145 pounds for his fight against WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber by half a pound.

Despite Brown’s failure to make weight on his first attempt, tomorrow’s main event is expected to go off in tact because the American Top Team fighter had up to two hours to make weight on his second attempt.

Also missing weight was Rani Yahya, who is slated to face Yoshihiro Maeda during the card’s non-televised opener. Maeda vs. Yahya had been contracted at the bantamweight limit of 135 pounds but Maeda’s camp apparently agreed to fight Yahya at 137 pounds.

Complete weigh-in results from the first attempt are as follows:

• Featherweight (145 lbs.): Urijah Faber (144.5) vs. *Mike Brown (145.5)
  • Middleweight (185 lbs.): *Paulo Filho (192) vs. Chael Sonnen (184.5)
  • Featherweight (145 lbs.): Jens Pulver (146) vs Leonard Garcia (145.5)
  • Middleweight (185 lbs.): Nissen Osterneck (184.5) vs. Jake Rosholt (185.5)
  • Lightweight (155 lbs.): Rob McCullough (155.5) vs. Donald Cerrone (156)
  • Middleweight (185 lbs.): David Avellan (185) vs. Aaron Simpson (184.5)
  • Featherweight (145 lbs.): Jose Aldo (146) vs. Jonathan Brookins (146)
  • Light Heavyweight (205 lbs.): Carmelo Marrero (206) vs. Steve Steinbeiss (202)
  • Lightweight (155 lbs.): Rafael Dias (155) vs. Danny Castillo (156)
  • Bantamweight (135 lbs.): Yoshiro Maeda (135) vs. **Rani Yahya (137)

* denotes fighter failed to make weight on first attempt and had two hours to make weight during second weigh-in attempt

** denotes fighter failed to make weight but a second weigh-in attempt was not required after opposing fighter consented to the weight difference

• ihateemo says:

Are you kidding me? How long has Filho had to prepare?

Siiigh.

• Robert says:

Apparently he did not care knowing this is his last fight in the WEC and calling it a title fight is a joke because the division is gone at years end.

• los says:

• Guy Gaduois says:

Forrest Griffin said after he beat Shogun that after his last loss, he got real depressed and started eating a lot of cookies.
    I know Filho was rumored to be struggling with depression. Maybe the cookies got him, too.

• Patrick says:

SEVEN? Jesus, this guy was hitting the baked goods more than Thiago Alves.

• Ertz says:

I’d just laugh my ass off if Filho is cut by Zuffa and is relegated to going to Affliction instead of the UFC after the fight.

• Ross says:

ridiculous——fuck it If I was Sonnen I would tell him to fuck off.

• dpk says:

What in the name of Nick Diaz is going on here, that is terrible. Filho, had better win impressively or Zuffa will pretty much say, Fuck you, you need us more than we need you (And honestly if he isn’t going to fight Anderson Silva at 185, than that is a true statement).

• Robert says:

Yeah Ross, Sonnen should be pist off because he’s such a classy,stand up guy who taps out from an armbar and after the fight is over claims he never tapped out when he clearly did, and dpk, Filho is the 2nd ranked middleweight in the world if Zuffa gets rid of him because he missed weight and just suspends Chris Leben a middle of the road middleweight at best who just failed a drug test after a fight with Bisping which was originally postponed because he had to serve jail time then something is really fucked up and it’s not Paulo Filho.

• Anthony says:

“How come Jens Pulver made weight at 146 but they’re saying Mike Brown is over at 145.5?

They’re in the same weightclass….only reason I can think of is since Mike Brown is fighting for the title.”

A one pound leeway only applies to NON-TITLE fights. Since he’s in a title fight, he needs to come in at 145 or below.

• Stan the Caddy says:

Almost 2 full Caranos over. That’s pretty weak.

• 3OAM says:

Lol @ Stan’s comment

• Guy Gaduois says:

Does anyone else think events like this should bear on the alleged ranking of a fighter?
    Especially in Filho’s case, where there is a direct absence of performance against the other alleged top 10 fighters at middleweight.
    The only not alleged is Anderson Silva. That is an impressive man.

• mike says:

filho had god knows how long to prepare for this. for him to fail so horribly is depressing. i no he had drinkin and depression problems. if hes not doing well, he should not b fighting and should b gettin better…

mike brown… lose the weight, u have an opportunity here to make a name for urself, and u may just fuck it up…

rani yahya… if u want 2 ever b considered as a top contender, first get off the undercard. 2ndly… weigh in at the right weight… come on man… u have such a bright future, y r u missing weight

• HexRei says:

i think he doesn’t care. its a title fight for a division that won’t exist soon- win or lose his title status won’t change when he enters the UFC.

• Beef says:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say “win or lose.” He has his win streak and perfect record to protect. Those can help promote him very quickly up the ranks. Needless to say, he’s got more momentum entering the UFC coming off a win.

But I agree that he likely doesn’t care about a “championship” that will no longer exist in a few weeks…

• Filho is going through addiction issues and that will cause bouts of depression which can lead to weight gain depending on the medication he is taking. The medications can also cause exhaustion and sluggish feelings. But the bottom line is very simple, he I a professional fighter and part of his job is to make weight and stay in shape. Regardless of his talent if he cannot make weight he shouldn’t be able to compete on the level of the other fighters in the world. He should also take a severe pay cut. In this fight I think he should have to give Chonen 50 percent of his purse regardless of the outcome! BTW, I know he and Anderson have said they don’t want to fight each other cause they are friends?!?! Gimme a break that is the gayest thing I have ever heard!

• truth says:

Fatboy!

• Patrick says:

This all actually leads me to another argument:

Why is Filho ranked #2? I understand he’s beaten Ninja Rua, Ryo Chonan, Misaki, Doerkson and has an unbeaten record… but honestly there are 185’ers that have beaten much better competition and would probably smash Filho violently in a match.

Just one of those weird ranking arguments I guess. Meh.

• Bad Monkey says:

Sonnen is going to beat this boy like a rented mule.

• HexRei says:

Right just like last time, huh Bad Monkey? I am a Sonnen fan and have even met the guy but if you are serious then you must have some insight into recent improvement by Sonnen that no one else does.

• Bad Monkey says:

Are you on the crack rock HexRei? Sonnen was putting an A-1 ass whipping on Filho in their first fight until he got sloppy and left his arm out for a desperation arm bar by Paulo. I don’t see Chael making that mistake again, and Paulo coming into the fight so far over weight shows he hasn’t trained worth a crap for this fight. Swing on Paulo’s nuts all you want, but Sonnen finishes this one in the 1st or 2nd by KO/TKO.

• HexRei says:

Actually I thought Sonnen was outwrestling Filho but other than that it was a pretty close fight- and then, as you said, HE LOST. and then hilariously tried to say he never submitted!

Oh, and go fuck your mom in her fat gangrenous ass you retarded cocksucking bitch. :)

• Bad Monkey says:

So you do or do not smoke crack? The people want to know!!!

• HexRei says:

I don’t think you and your snaggle-toothed one-eyed sister/wife really represent “the people”, but for the record I smoke only the finest crack.

• JOe K. says:

The WEC is trying to become a lighter weight promotion yet they put the only bantamweight fight (Yahya/Maeda) on the undercard!?! I don’t get it.

Maeda’s last fight vs. Miguel Torres was one of the top 5 of the year.

Filho should have smoked crack that would have helped him lose that weight.

• goodguy says:

Hex, of all the posts on 5 oz, I never fail to read your opinion. In general, we have very paralleled views on the sport. This is the first time that I have seen you really torn up about something and I think that its awesome. I love the anger! I was laughing so hard I had to close my office door. This should be a good fight and all this new drama is only going to add fuel to the fire. I am counting down the hours now. Still, damn shame i may not get to see the Rani v. Yoshiro fight…

• Patrick says:

Maeda vs. Torres was definitely a top 5 fight of the year/ I’m also shocked Maeda/Yahya is undercard. I see Maeda resisting the takedowns, Yahya gassing, and Maeda tko’ing him.

• Mike Wolfe says:

This is a great opportunity for Chael. If I were him (or his manager, assuming he has one), I’d demand half or more of Filho’s purse before I’d fight. If Filho won’t agree, Filho forfeits. If the bastard doesn’t come ready to fight, he’s the one who should pay. After Hughes got destroyed by an overweight Alves, no fighter should take a fight with an opponent who hasn’t undergone the rigors of cutting to make weight. That’s rewarding the guy who’s in the wrong.

• HexRei says:

Goodguy, always glad to provide the morning roffles :)

• Bad Monkey says:

Newsletter

• HexRei says:

let the i told you so’s flow

• Robert says:

People can’t say I told you so, because their the same people who thought Faber was going to walk through Brown shit happens. Filho just did’nt care about this fight the division the title are both gone as of Jan.1st .He reminds me of Gomi their both great fighters but seem to be unmotivated at times, anyone who thinks Sonnen is a better fighter than Filho or that Golyaev is better than Gomi is just an idiot.