Dana White says Anderson Silva wants to fight as soon as Nov. 15

UFC 91 is set to take place on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas and will feature Randy Couture defending the UFC heavyweight title vs. Brock Lesnar.

But might the card receive an additional jolt in fighting talent in the form of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva? According to UFC President Dana White, it might not be impossible.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is quoting White as saying that Silva is so upset about criticism that he showboated during his third round TKO over Patrick Cote this past weekend at UFC 90, that he wants to get back in the Octagon as soon as possible.

“He’s flipping out. He wants to fight again, like, on Nov. 15,” White is quoted as saying in the article. “He’s (upset) about his performance and he wants to fight again immediately.”

However, the article correctly points out that Nov. 15 might be too quick of a turnaround for Silva. While Silva might be willing, finding a capable opponent on such short notice might be next to impossible.

It’s also important to note that Silva’s eagerness to return should not be interepted as a feeling of guilt on his part. Silva is quoted as denying allegations that he was toying with Cote during their bout last Saturday.

“I didn’t come here to play. I didn’t come here to put on a show,” said Silva. “I came here to do my job and I didn’t become a champion and defend the title as many times as I have by not doing my job.”

• Tim says:

To me, The Spider is pure class so I never bought into his showboating. He has never done anything other than show respect as far as I am concerned.

Watching him and his incredible skills is a pleasure.

No. 15 is a stretch but i he gets on that card with Coture/Lesnar, wow…

• MMAStation says:

Might wanna call Okami.. Hes the only logical choice unless they throw him another 205 fight.

• Venom says:

Yes, Okami!
    I’ve been waiting for that fight for over a year. Let’s get it done already, Dana!

• Nic says:

This might be so that he can get through his contract faster and “retire” sooner.

• Teufel says:

Anderson Silva is angry. The fans are angry. Dana White is angry. I think the fight that makes the most sense is for Anderson Silva to fight the true current #1 contender; Yushin Okami. Okami is 7-1 in the UFC and Silva still wants to kill him for what happened in their first fight. Okami knocked out the former middleweight champ Evan Tanner (RIP) in his last fight.

Ultimate Fight Night 16 has no headliner. Neither does the TUF 8 finale. Silva helped coach season 8 fighters. I think having Silva headline a TV event makes the most sense and should appease everyone. Fans who felt burned about the Silva/Cote fight could see him fight again for free.

This fight needs to happen. The sooner the better.

• dpk says:

You really want to Salute the troops on Dec 10 – Silva – Chuck. It would set a new viewership record, and UFC could say it was for charity, and get a ton of good will in the mainstream press.

That being said, I know it won’t happen, but a guy can wish.

• portland mma says:

I agree, if Okami is healthy I think he’d take the fight, as funny as it seems to me Okami has wanted to fight Silva again for a while. Since losing the fight to Okami because of that illegal kick Silva’s gotta be hungry to take it to Okami, especially considering what he wants to prove to everyone else after the Cote fight.

• Amir says:

Can someone please tell me why the hell can they not make this happen? the guy didn’t even get scratched and wants to fight…for the UFC to avoid this is the biggest bs I’ve ever seen…how bout doing it as an apology for the thousands of suckers who paid for that crappy PPV show to begon with? glad I wasn’t one of them.

• Patrick says:

Silva will most likely get put on the B.J. Penn / GSP card.

• Jude says:

Amir maybe your new to this sport but most fighters have about 2 months to train. Few fighters like taking fights on short notice because they may not have as much time to cut weight, train, do cardio, ect. Now your asking someone to jump at the chance to fight Silva the number 1 P4P fighter in the world in just two weeks. Thats just enough time to make weight and do a light training. Now the reason this is a problem is because legit contenders for Silva will want more time to train to face him him so they have a better shot at defeating him. The only people who would take this fight on short notice would be people Silva has already beaten, undesearving contenders, and cans. Not much aspect in throwing Silva in the ring against another Cote or Irvin. Let Silva fight in December, who cares if we have to wait an extra month, at least that way we can get a good match up instead of asking Okami to blow his shot at winning by taking the fight on 2 weeks notice.

• mingowarrior says:

silva wants out of his contract as soon as possible

• fabian says:

How about lyoto machida. He’ll be a good match up and it will finish convincing all critics.

• Dr Hak says:

Okami is scheduled to fight Dean Lister on Dec 27th at UFC 92.

Seems logical to me to have Silva fight Okami at that PPV instead.

I realize there would then be 3 title fights on one card, but they like to end the year with a BANG! so there it is. Forrest Griffin, Wanderlei Silva, Rampage, Sugar Evans, Spider Silva, Frank Mir and Big Nog on one card? That’s probably as good a buy rate as the UFC could do without Liddell or Ortiz on a card if marketed correctly.

The Nov 15th card for UFC 91 needs shoring up for sure though… Leites or Marquadt could be in shape for a Silva fight in 2 weeks…maybe…

• pete says:

Let him fight Ryo Chonan. He actually beat Anderson by a sweet ass heel hook, not like Yushin who won by a DQ

• Tony Fennen says:

I am no 185 but if Dana offered me a shot at Silva on 2 days notice I would take it.
    Worst case scenario… you lose. No one will expect a win anyway.

There are 2 185’s on the fight card already….Maybe one of them will take the fight.

Anderson silva would me this card worth ordering… right now Randy and Brock is just not enough (sorry KenFlo)

• portland mma says:

Thats probably the least intelligent thing I’ve ever heard, haha you would take a fight with Silva on days notice? Dude you are behind a computer, do us a favor and be real to yourself and us. I’m going to go on a bunch of sites and see if i can set up a fight between me and the winner of GSP and BJ Penn fight…but only if its on 2 days notice….Mr. Fennen, like the stereotypical saying goes “you ain’t gotta lie to kick it.”

• mburtoni says:

I agree Tony…aside from Brock vs, Randy and KenFlo vs. Stevenson, ufc 91 is a weak, weak card. Though it is most likely impossible that the UFC could find a worthy contender in time for a Silva fight, it would make the fight card much, much better.

• the Levi says:

maybe they should try find an oppoent for the Dec. fight night on Spike.perhaps they could scratch the Okami – lister fight .

• JoHn says:

robbie lawler? frank shamrock?

• Davey D says:

If Yushin is already fighting Lister on 12/27. I think they should insert Anderson into that bout for the MW title. The rematch senario is built in so half of the promoting is done already. If Anderson absolutely has to fight in November, put a open challenge out to anyone who can compete in at 185/205 and roll the dice. If the Spider wants to fight inside two months, don’t deny him Zuffa.

Chuck Liddell would be an excellent choice at 205/catch-weight but he needs clearence from a PHD to fight since the 180 day supension isn’t over yet. Maybe it was 90? Anyway, I hope they do something. There are 4 event’s left this year so Zuffa should be able to complete the task at hand. Even if they have to put him on Spike TV again which, isn’t a bad thing I believe.

Say Anderson gets his opponent before the year is up. That still leaves 4 fight’s for him to compete in next year. Then, sadly, he can retire. Although I don’t think it’ll be permenate. Two year’s away from the game should serve him well. Stay tuned…

• JoHn says:

BY THE WAY , i was kidding about lawler, and shamrock

• Bert says:

They should just put Okami vs Silva on the new years eve card…it will be like a Pride Shockwave card

• Kung Foo says:

You can quote me. If they were smart. They would pick up one of the middle weights or light heavies that were going to fight in the elite XC show on Nov 6. Most of those guys are done with traing camps and are ready to go.

• ACK! says:

Forget Chonan and Okami… Sign Daiju Takase so Silva can avenge that embarrassing loss by triangle.

• portland mma says:

KUNG FOO the whole contract thing is a little more confusing then that.

“Perhaps the most interesting bit of information from this mess deals with the contracts of ProElite’s fighters. One of the managers I talked to said Elite might not be able to free fighters right away as CBS might have a right to the contracts. The network had a promissory note with Elite which didn’t get paid. Like a lien on property, their only assets to collect are the fight contracts. This contradicts suggestions on Tuesday that fighters under contract to ProElite before it went belly up would likely be free and clear to negotiate with other promoters.”

• JJ says:

They really need to find someone to fight Anderson. I just cant get excited about Kenny vs Joe Daddy for some reason. So other than the main event 91 sucks ass.

• stevefiji says:

The perfect day to fight in on Jan 24th then he takes on every Affliction HW as well as one UFC LHW. The Tshirt guy is feeling spunky lately with his comments about Zuffa. Dana and the Zboys surely will do some BIGTIME free counter programming. Chuck vs Spider on Spike.

• portland mma says:

Good point, Dana’s gotta have something up his sleeve to counter program with. I love how that guy from affliction talked all that crap and gave all this info, but he was scared to be revealed as anything but t shirt guy in the interview and I know it wasn’t Attencio because he’s too much of a pussy to say half that stuff.

• JollyDV says:

Just a question that I have and maybe someone knows the answer. If Okami/Lister are already scheduled to fight, wouldn’t there be a contract of some type? The UFC couldn’t just go in and remove Lister and put in Silva could they? That would leave Lister out of a payday as well as create problems for Okami who has been training and preparing to fight Lister not Silva.

I just wanted to say that if Anderson Silva was placed on the UFC 91 card against just anyone they can find to take the fight, would not make it a better card for me. I want to see him fight someone that is prepared to fight him and that is also deserving of the fight. Watching him take someone out in 20 seconds (that you already knew would happen) is a waste. Since UFC 90 the term “paper thin card” has been used a lot, if Silva was on the Dec. 27th card it would be called a “cardboard card” and he would have a worthy opponent that has had the proper training time leading up to the fight.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Jolly: I’m sure Joe Silva could find a replacement for Okami to take on Boogeyman. Maybe Almeida or Grove? And if all parties agree, then it should be fine. Hopefully someone that can take care of Lister. I respect the hell out of him but he’s done a pretty mediocre job of translating his BJJ into his MMA game.

And the addition of The Spider to UFC 92 wouldn’t make it cardboard. The thing would be damn near steel with Big Nog/Mir, Griffin/Evans, and Silva/Jackson III.

Say what you want about Griffin and Evans, but combined they’ve beaten Shogun, Rampage, and The Iceman. A couple of years ago, those names dominated the top three slots in the 205 division.

• batman says:

jolly, the UFC can do whatever they want. They can release a fighter in a matter of seconds contract or not. I just don’t know if anyone will take on Silva with so little preperation. I think they should just put him on ufc 93 against Robbie Lawler but that probaly wont happen.

• portland mma says:

The UFC could completely do that to Dean Lister. When people in the UFC sign their contracts they sign to a certain number of fights and thats about it, there is no stipulation that they will fight on this card against this guy. If they did that and someone was guaranteed to fight on a card and their opponent got hurt then under your logic that too would be a breach of contract. That’s why fighters just sign to a number of fights, with injuries and such its all too unpredictable.

• portland mma says:

Thats not true batman, the ufc can’t just terminate a contract. Someone either needs to finish there fights on there deal and then they can be released (Randy Couture) or if the UFC and a fighter both agree for the contract to be terminated (Tim Sylvia) but you cant just say hey i dont want to pay you, that ridiculous.

• portland mma says:

“The company exerts contractual power mainly in the form of clauses that allow for the term of a contract to be extended in any number of circumstances and in some cases indefinitely. As the promoter, Zuffa must live up to its end of an agreement, such as filling a specific number of fights during a certain term.”

• jim says:

Hey, Scott Smith is looking for a payday. It would be a massacre, but still a fun fight to watch.

• JOe K. says:

If Silva gets put on that Penn GSP card with Machida/Thiago Silva I will masturbate the entire card.

• JollyDV says:

@ portland, are you sure there isn’t a contract once the card is finalized? There is probably a clause in it that covers an injury to one of the fighters. I understand the main contract with the UFC promotion for so many fights, etc. Let me use Anderson Silva as an example. When he first signed with the UFC he didn’t make much money per fight. If my memory serves me correctly he only got 30,000 for his first title defense. Now he gets much more.(speaking of which, I haven’t seen any news with the fighter’s pay from UFC 90 yet.) So each time he or any other fighter is set to fight, don’t they negotiate the fight pay each time? The main contract won’t cover that because no can know that they will rise to the top and become champion or let’s say Brock Lesner loses all the fights left on his contract, they are going to reduce his pay each time he loses a fight. Right? Also if there were no written agreement for a fight, then the fighters could just back out for no reason, and there would be no consequences.

• portland mma says:

Lets take KJ Noons and Nick Diaz for example, Diaz was making way more money then Noons even though Noons was the champion BECAUSE OF THE CONTRACT NOONS SIGNED.

• JollyDV says:

Good point! Since they keep all the contract stuff top secret, I suppose I will never know.

• fabian says:

Lyoto machida!!!that way he can’t run and we’ll see some nice strikes !

• Shatner says:

Dana White is a Liar someone try and argue that point!

• derreckla says:

Um alves…Hello..move up or just don’t cut…

• brendon says:

Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva won’t fight each other, coz they’re buddies.

• PokerFace says:

Kieth Jardine!!!! or any other respectable 205’er. I would want to get into the cage asap too if I had such a gonger of a show boat fight

• Mike Whetstone says:

i think throw him on UFC 92 and make the end of the year show the best of the year, it only makes sense…. the UFC is so big now that the fans deserve one HELL of a card at the end of the year 3 belts on the line or whatever, tons of big names, like a super bowl of fights for Dec. like a christmas gift to the fans…. it would be awesome

• House says:

Personally, having fought before with gone through a training camp for three months I know I felt more then confident going in to the fight. But can you imagine fighting an agitated, motivated and stressed out Anderson Silva? Having fans and people in general question his performance (which I thought was incredible) saying that he didn’t do as well as he should and that he didn’t have the drive to finish the fight. If he requested to fight again barely a month after his last fight he must have a mountain on his shoulders. I honestly just feel bad for his next opponent, unless something crazy happens.

• Mike A says:

Please put him on the 91 card, im going there all the way from Vancouver Canada, and its a weak card!

• Bill says:

Silva should fight on the December 10th show, free on SPIKE. His opponent – The Iceman. Its a no brainer. Make it happen Dana!!!

• fabian says:

Not the iceman he sucks against real strikers put him up against luiz cane or thiago Silva. That’s ppv!

• scottythebody says:

I spoke with Chuck Liddell at a seminar he hosted in Toronto on October 19 and he is definitely ready to fight. He said UFC doesn t want him fighting until February, but he want s to fight way sooner. I say add it to the UFC 92 Card at 205 pounds.

• Adam says:

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“If hendo could cut the weight not only would he take the fight hed take the belt. Especially if Anderson fought like he did the other night, hed get ko’d by Hollywood”

And you’re going off… what, exactly?

The first time they fought and Silva choked Hendo out in the 2nd?

• aguilar11 says:

silva should get thrown in the cage with keith jardine, liddel, or stephan bonner.
    bonner has nevr been knocked out or submitted. hes been wanting to fight for a while

• Shatner says:

Bonner is booked to lose at UFC 94.

• george says:

has anyone thought that Anderson Silva is so confident in his ability to knock opponent out, that if he can’t it throws him off his game? Patrick Cote took a right shin kick to the face a knee to the head, and a left cross to the face, and it did not faze him in the slightest. everyone else to this point who has faced Silva has crumbled from any one of those.( Cote just smile and gave him thumbs up). I think that Anderson Silva had no good game plan on how to deal with that(plan “b” was no good) i also think that Cote has a harder punch than any of Silva’s opponents to this point. when he was on his bike he was trying to figure out what to do. his next fight will be against someone that he can win hands down and he will come out like a bat out of hell starting in round 1. Anderson is a great fighter but a good ground guy will destroy him. the other thing is when Cote elbowed him 2 or 3 times in the head Anderson stood up right away threw some lazy kicks to Cote’s legs and started on their feet. do you think the elbows hurt? i do. i am not saying who would have or have not won, but i am saying Anderson had a bad game plan and a worse back up plan.

• george says:

if anderson wants to fight there are plenty of @185 that will give him a good fight, the question is does Dana White really want to test Anderson or not.

• Mike A says:

like who george?

• greg says:

I don’t think to many guys have the talent to step up to Anderson. However, Okami or Chonan might have a chance. It would be an exiting show. It don’t matter to much to me, I just want to see him fight. It’s a beautiful thing. He’s the best fighter I’ve ever seen. Now more than ever and if Okami or anyone takes the challenge, they cant forget that. Anderson seems like he’s more bad ass every fight. He is just getting better. I think Anderson would rock Okami this time. But you know theres a lot of politics and BS that determine the fights.