Anderson Silva said he meant no disrespect towards Cote

In the days proceeding Anderson Silva’s third round TKO over Patrick Cote at UFC 90 this past weekend, many have spoken out about Silva’s perceived conduct during the course of the fight. But the one person who had yet to speak out was Silva himself.

However, during an article that appeared Tuesday on Sherdog.com, Silva finally was able to get his side of the story out publicly. And while many felt Silva’s behavior towards Cote was disrespectful, he had said that no ill will was intended on his part.

“There are many people saying I was disrespecting Cote, but this is absolutely not true,” Silva is quoted in the Sherdog article. “My game plan since the beginning was fight five rounds, inducing him to commit mistakes and capitalize on that during the first three rounds and look for the knockout during the fourth and fifth rounds. It was working, and the biggest proof of that is that I almost didn’t waste any blows. I connected with a couple of good punches and knees, but unfortunately he got hurt and the fight was over. This is not my fault.”

In regards to Silva’s next fight, he indicated that it was in the hands of the UFC. He has not dismissed the idea of a rematch vs. Cote if the promotion believes it’s warranted.

Another rumored matchup for Silva has been a return to the 205 pound division for a blockbuster against Chuck Liddell. Silva indicated that he has not heard anything from the UFC about the potential matchup but that he’s interesting in hearing what UFC President Dana White has to say about it.

• Mike A says:

liddell silva would be interesting..

• Dr Hak says:

Why haven’t I heard anything about Dana White pulling Yushin Okami out of his UFC 92 fight and having Silva vs Okami then (since Silva has made noise about wanting to fight ASAP) ?

Its two months away and would allow for a quick rinsing of any bad tastes left from UFC 90. Plus, Okami is Spider Silva’s last real fight at 185, given their history, and from there he can move up to 205.

Then either Okami would be the surprise champion or they could deem Henderson v Franklin at UFC 93 a 185 title bout OR a semi-final match and pit WEC champ Paulo Filho against Maia / Marquadt / Bisping / Leites) in another semi-final for the UFC Middleweight championship.

Hmm… maybe this only makes sense to me

• portland mma says:

I think this is all a huge misunderstanding, I think Silva knew Cote had a chin and punchers chance and understood it was a 5 round fight. There should have been 2 1/2 more rounds for Silva to come in knock him out, its unfortunate because nothing played out because of injuries and all the speculation starts. The only thing that impressed me with Cote was him breaking Anderson’s Thai clinch. I’d really love to see Filho fight Silva, but I don’t think it will ever happen, they are very good friends and the Brazilians stick together. Chuck and Anderson would be a sweet fight though, and I would absolutely love to see Anderson dismantle Bisping, but that is not a good business strategy if Silva is going to be retiring.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Who cares whether Silva was “disrespecting” Cote? This is MMA, not some grade school soccer league where even the losers get trophies so no body’s self esteem is injured.

• AdamsFamily says:

I posted recently defending Bisping for holding to a definite strategy to beat Leben. This Silver debacle is another example of a blood hungry knockout fever causing contoversy where it neednt be.
    I hope all the detractors of smart fighters are ready for a 5 round past master. If Lesnar injured himself in the 5th round after a chessmatch with Randy will everyone still complain.
    Personally – I thought what Silva was doing was odd but entertaining none the less. The real dissapointment for a fan is TKO via injury, and I’d wager ours is insignificant compared to Cote’s.

• ihateemo says:

“The real dissapointment for a fan is TKO via injury, and I’d wager ours is insignificant compared to Cote’s.”

Too freaking right. It was unfortunate, but Cote should have been applauded for even taking the fight and for absorbing the hard shots that the Spider DID land.

I guarantee almost nobody fighting MMA at 185 – 205 – on this site who is disrespecting Cote would even consider fighting Silva.

• the Levi says:

he wasn’t dis respecting Cote if anything he was giving Patrick alot of respect by staying away from Cote’s punches.He was fighting like Machida,being “elusive”.

• mike says:

OKAMI SIGNED!

• Shaun says:

Everyone is just having their period cause Silva had something called a “gameplan.” He was being smart and not try to go through what GSP had to with Serra at UFC 69.

He still won the rounds decisivly and wasn’t being disrespectful that’s just how Silva operates. The late hits and the helping hand, that’s just how he fights, he’s a performer. That’s just how Silva puts on a show if the fight hadn’t ended it would have still been a W for Anderson, no one can deny it. If anyone has respect for opponets it Anderson just watch his interviews after his fights against Rich Franklin.