Affliction co-founder takes aim at Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, and the UFC

During a joint-press gathering held by both officials of M-1 Global and Affliction held high atop the Trump Tower last Thursday, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio was asked several times by reporters to respond to critical comments made by UFC President Dana White aimed at Affliction in recent months.

Not wanting to engage in a verbal war of words with White, Atencio took the high road and thanked both White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta for blazing the trail that Affliction is now traveling. However, while a guest “The Scott Ferrall Show” on Sirius Satellite Radio earlier this week, Affliction co-founder Todd Beard chose to go down a different path when commenting on the UFC’s treatment towards his company.

“They are not just threatening it (Affliction’s business model), they threaten us personally, which is hysterical,” Beard told host Scott Ferrall. “Dana White, Lorenzo Fertita, they are tough guys — old school mafia guys, or wanna-be old school mafia guys that their grandfather built their business and they are nothing. They’re nothing.”

But Beard wasn’t done. Not by a long shot.

“They put their business five billion dollars in debt,” Beard said in reference to Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta’s family business, Station Casinos in Las Vegas. “They’re in big touble right now. They are going to go out of business in February. Guaranteed. Station Casinos will go out of business in February for sure. Lorenzo Fertita, kiss my f—–g a– motherf—-r. ”

Not to be outdone, Beard had words for the UFC’s President, Dana White.

“Dana White, by the way, the t-shirt guy is gonna f— your ass up.”

In closing, Beard made it clear that Affliction intends to challenge the UFC’s dominance of the MMA marketplace.

“They’re a bunch of bullies,” stated Beard. “They think they’re gangsters and they’re going to get their asses kicked. And they’re getting their asses kicked right now.”

• Eric says:

Tough talk…..Not sure if they can back it up!

• rudy says:

what a biotch where can I get some of that action on stations going under in feb? I will take that bet all day long

• skwirrl says:

you should check fightopinions article on this. Station might be defaulting on a ton of loans the got to buy back controlling interest in the company. This is no bs. Enjoy the poor house ZUFFA.

• MMAsubb says:

I’ll take the bet too. February is right around the corner, after UFC’s usual huge holiday time promotional campaign. UFC is beyond profitable enough to be self sustained. Also, Beard talks a whole heap load of shit for a that is basically using Fedor as his promotion’s kimbo (granted obviously different in terms of the fighter quality, complete respect for fedor here). Hope he can tread water with fedor and barnett and the ragtag UFC washups.

• dpk says:

It is funny how he is talking about the Fertitta’s when one of his business partner’s, Donald Trump has run alot more businesses than they have into the ground. Maybe the bet should be which last longer Station casinos or Affliction as a promotion
    Station Casinos going under would have ruined UFC 3-5 years ago, but now UFC is worth around $1 billion on its own, and will be able to manage itself.

• GoofyMonkey says:

Is this why Dana is pissed with Scotty? The Bubba the Love Sponge guys mentioned something about it yesterday. But i wasn’t sure what they were talking about….

• mattio says:

Has 5OZ attempted to contact this guy? You guys are good at getting interviews. You should try and interview this guy and see what’s up. Was he on drugs when he did that interview or just butthurt?

Did Lorenzo Fertitta really call him up and try to set up a fight with him? Did Dana then text him asking him to set up a seperate fight with Dana? What is going on?

This story should blow up if you ask me. It’s hilarious, pathetic and intriguing all at the same time.

Editor’s Note: I’ve never spoken with Todd, but I have contacted Tom Atencio via phone many times in the past. While I’ve never had a problem getting a quote when speaking with him in person, Affliction has yet to respond to our attempts via phone to get comment on a number of items. We’d love to speak with them to get their perspective on this situation as well as others.

• Brent says:

“Is this why Dana is pissed with Scotty?”

Ferrall was a paid Zuffa employee after begging Dana for a job reporting live events awhile back – after competing organizations started popping up, Ferrall told Dana his salary wasn’t enough and that he’d work for another company if they didn’t meet his demands – Zuffa dropped him and he’s been crying ever since.

• Sam Caplan says:

Brent, I have to correct you because Scott Ferrall was never an employee of Zuffa. He is an employee of Sirius Satellite Radio and his appearances were booked as a part of a promotional agreement between Zuffa and Sirius. Zuffa didn’t pay money out to Ferrall, they paid it out to Sirius (which presumably gave a portion to Ferrall).

I don’t see what the big deal is with Ferrall going to UFC events and talking about it on his show. It was a deal brokered by his employers and Ferrall doesn’t do a news program — he’s an entertainer as opposed to a journalist. Having worked in radio, it’s not uncommon for businesses to reach promotional agreements with radio companies and for the radio companies to use their talent as a part of the promotion.

• GoofyMonkey says:

Ferrall has been good to the UFC from the shows that I hear. He’s always had UFC guys in and talks about upcoming cards.

on Sirius side note… How come the BTLS guys don’t have you on Sam? They are always bring your name up as a good friend of the show when talking MMA, yet I’ve never heard you on there? I think it’d be fun to hear you chatting with Bubba and the boys about MMA. (Truthfully, anythings got to be better than hearing Goldie rattle on for an hour… :)

Editor’s Note: Bubba and Brent Hatley have been awesome when it comes to this site. When I am typing my articles and doing research, Howard 100 and 101 are playing in the background while I work — unless I am on the phone doing an interview — all day and night. I’ve been listening to Bubba ever since Howard went to Sirius and when Bubba and Brent started mentioning on-air that they read certain things from this site, it was an amazing feeling. There’s nothing more we can really ask because they’ve already done so much for this site. If they ever need our help with anything, they can always count on it from us. If they ever felt we could add something to the show, we’d go on in a heartbeat. I’d even let them make fun of the fact that I am married to a woman that at this point, probably can physically kick my ass.

• Eric says:

It’s funny that they bash the Fertittas Station Casinos potentially going out of business, but Affliction will be right there with them if they keep paying mid-card guys 150k to fight. That’s absurd and it won’t produce positive long-term results for them. I hope another MMA company stays aroundto compete with the UFC, but judging by their performance so far, Affliction may not last another year.

• NJMMAFAN says:

the guys a tool, losing a casino wouldnt bring down the biggest name in mma, at this point the ufc is their investment id assume, not a casino…

• Brent says:

Sam – I was paraphrasing Dana’s recent video blog where he talks about Ferrall – I’d have to watch it again, but that was the gist of what he said.

Editor’s Note: Brent, I’ve seen the video a few times now and while White does indeed say the UFC paid Sirius and Ferrall to come out to their events and cover them, he never said Ferrall was a Zuffa employee. There’s a fine line between working with a company and working for a company. But the way Dana talks about the affiliation, it is misleading because he does say ‘we paid Ferrall.’ To my knowledge, Ferrall can’t arrange promotional appearances unless they are done through Sirius. White made it sound like they cut a side deal and they negotiated an agreement outside of Ferrall’s employment with Sirius.

• Jimmy Shaker says:

Stations is going out of biz, read the LV review journal and the Fightopinion article. They are over $5 Billion in debt.

UFC = over $500 Million in loans debt right now. How are they going to pay all that back plus the vig?

Those loans are due in 2010, without the casinos bringing in money for Zuffa, their in big trouble

they will sell the UFC before this all goes downhill.

• Mark says:

Good luck with that buddy

• mike wolfe says:

The guys at Affliction shouldn’t talk too loudly. They’ve only had one event, and everything I’ve read indicates they lost money. The only way they can try to justify it is to suggest that it’s good promotion for their clothing, and that’s a stretch, imo.

• skwirrl says:

Station Casino is BILLIONS in debt in attempts to buy back controlling interest during the recent economic boom. That money that gets spent in Vegas is gonna dry up in a recession. When Station Casinos which is where the Fertittas get their money gets seized where are they gonna get the money to pay off their loans for the UFC. They overleveraged themselves. (bad pun time) They weren’t playing with house money on this they were investing the UFC on margin. They are gonna need a big fat ace up their sleeves with all their dirty backroom buddies to keep them afloat. They went all in and the market called. Now its time for their creditors to come calling.

• Gono>UFC says:

I’m curious when he says, “They are getting their asses kicked right now” what he is talking about.

• ihateemo says:

Maybe Dana can challenge one of the Affliction guys to a boxing match instead. 😉

• BadMonkey says:

Dana vs. Todd Beard: Steel Cage Match!!!

Two men enter, one man leaves!!!!

• bubbafat says:

• Muta says:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

I love it! I don’t like that another “president” of an MMA org is just as foul mouthed and unprofessional as Dana White, but it’s nice to see somebody not pulling punches against Dana White for a change.

I’d love to see the Fertittas/White sell the UFC to an owner that will partner up with other orgs to create fantastic MMA cards that are actually worth the $50 that they charge. Even after the PRIDE purchase and all the promises of amazing cards, I still haven’t seen a UFC card worthy of $50.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“I’d even let them make fun of the fact that I am married to a woman that at this point, probably can physically kick my ass.”

That’s amazing!!

There’s my reminder for today why I love this site.

• Jimmy Shaker says:

“Wasn’t Lorenzo the highest paid casino exec in N. America last year? I think they put his earnings last year at $ 110 000 000. So, as much as I appreciate the effect of the economy, we also must appreciate the effect of a billionaire with mob ties. Somehow, I’m not worried.”

so do you honestly believe for 1 second that he will take 5 years salary out of the bank and pay off the $500 Million + debt + the vig to bail out the UFC over just selling it for some major cash?

come on, what do you think the likeness contracts were for? they are just there to drive up the value of the company, so they can sell it with contracts + likeness.

• babalu says:

go todd kick their ass!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Craig says:

“Station Casino is BILLIONS in debt in attempts to buy back controlling interest during the recent economic boom. That money that gets spent in Vegas is gonna dry up in a recession. When Station Casinos which is where the Fertittas get their money gets seized where are they gonna get the money to pay off their loans for the UFC. They overleveraged themselves…Now its time for their creditors to come calling.”

All big business has debt in the billions. As long as the debt service ratio is in line then it isn’t a big deal. As for “overleveraging”, the public doesn’t have access to the financial statements so that’s a blind assumption. The credit crunch is hammering finanial institutions, last time I checked you don’t get approved for a mortgage at the slot machines.

• mike says:

I’d like to hear Sam’s opinion on what jimmy shaker said.

• Scott Whitt says:

I was actually glad to hear someone fire back at Dana. I would like to hear more specifics about UFC flexing their muscle top put the kibosh on Affliction’s Vegas PPV. Name names.
    What was that crappy reality show about the Fertitta’s hotel?

• mmavegas says:

lol Being in the hole doesn’t mean you’re going out at all … it only means that they have incurred a large debt, and will have to be really tight over the next two years while paying it off. There’s a brand new Station Casino opening up in January on the east side of town, and their other casinos stay absolutely packed 24/7 … I don’t see them defaulting on a debt where they have more than just the potential to pay it off, in other words .. I don’t see them going under.

I’ve never met Beard, so I can’t really comment on him personally … but man, he just KILLED Affliction’s chances to ever put on a show in Vegas. It’s kinda sad, but definitely true … Dana will make 100% sure that they’re blocked from ever being able to sell their product here through radio/tv/etc… I know they’ve done it before, and they’ll continue to block people that piss them off… It’s not the most ethical thing in the world, but it’s all business at the end of the day, all day, every day.

• skwirrl says:

That new casino is already half a billion in debt and that debt isn’t being added on to the rest of the debt. Any shortfalls against the terms of its loan will be covered by Station Casino holders. Not the LLC.

• Steve says:

wow, this guy is a fool. i cant wait to see how Dana responds.

• Shatner says:

This guys a fool for stating his opinion,and what do you mean you can’t wait for Dana to respond.Dana’s statements about anyone or anything not affiliated with the UFC are always the same.I can’t believe people still want to hear him tell his lies and put down everyone with his 15 year old high school tough guy act.It’s really getting old.

• Shocbomb says:

Someone form Affliction talking shit about another business going out of Business and bad business practices ??? WHAT !!!! What a fool is right. Did this ass do the interview after anight of drinking and doing coke or something.