Dana White speaks out about ProElite’s demise

In his latest video blog, UFC President Dana White addressed this week’s demise of ProElite. To no one’s surprise, White isn’t shedding any tears about seeing yet another competitor fall by the wayside.

“Obviously today is a great day in MMA,” White began. “ProElite is dead. I’m sure some of you saw the interview I did about how bad these guys are for the sport, so today is a good day.”

White continued from there, proving he’s not averse to kicking someone while they’re down.

Jeremy Lappen, the three time loser,” said White. “This guy was with a company called Battle Management. Then the other one there that we ended up getting… the WFA. And now, ProElite. Jeremy, you have a law degree. Go get a real f—– job. Okay? Go get a real job. Your parents must be really bummed out. Spent all that money on a law degree and you’re f—— around in MMA trying to screw up this business. Go screw up someone’s f—— court case, or go do something else.”

But Lappen, EliteXC’s former Head of Fight Operations, wasn’t the only member of the company that White directed his vitriol at, aiming next at former EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw.

“And then the little rapper kid,” White began. “You’ve got a rich daddy. You can just live at home with your mom and dad and live in the basement. (Laughs) You don’t even have to get a job. You can hang out at nightclubs and DJ and go back to the basement and go to sleep, you little f—–.

Gary Shaw? He’s going to be around for a long time in boxing, so as long as he stays in boxing, all us MMA people can be happy. It’s a good day. It’s a good day that these guys are gone. Obviously, I saw a lot of the comments and a lot of the people agreed with me about how bad these guys are for the sport. So thank G-d they’re gone.”

• saerbarnet says:

Maybe a link to the video blog? :)

• Jay says:

Why did you write, “So thank G-d…” Is God a cuss word like all of the other f bombs Dana dropped?

• JJ Docker says:

Sometimes I like Dana sometimes I don’t but reading this really did make me smile

• CW says:

“G-d” is a Judaism based sign of respect for Yahweh. The most common example to illustrate this — if one were to write “God” on a piece of paper and then throw that piece of paper away, it would be disrespectful.

So theoretically, if the comments you and I just made are ever deleted from the database, the person deleting them will be disrespecting Yahweh.

Mythology is fun, isn’t it?

Editor’s Note: Any future message in this thread making an issue of my use of the dash will be deleted. Stay on topic. Thanks.

• BadMonkey says:

You gotta love Dana! The guy speaks his mind and we could use more people like him that tell it like it is and don’t worry about hurting peoples little feelings in the process.

• Rich says:

Hey Jay, quit bringing your religious propaganda to this website. If you want to start a cult then do it on your own website. This website is for MMA not God. So f-bomb this! F-bomb you.

• darkmetal says:

Lol, you have to hand it to Dana White.

However, it got me thinking about the scenario….

After many years of success as one of the heads of the UFC, Dana White passes away peacefully as his children, wife, and grandchildren weep at his bedside.
    His last words are “Well, I’m F—ing out of here, F—ers….”
    And so Dana passes into the light and finds himself at the Pearly gates. A tall bearded man stands at the gate, holding a book of each person’s deeds and misdeeds.

“Dana, you have lived a good life, you treated your family well, and you were an ethical businessman….”

White: “So I pass, Dude?”

“Umm, hold on one second, it says here that you said F— over 32 million times in your life….”

White: “Is that a F—‘n problem?”

“Well, uh, whatever….go the F— in”

LOL

• Shatner says:

Wow these are shocking comments from White who would have thought he’d have an opinion like that.

• paddiosf says:

Hilarious, caling him a little rapper kid..I love Dana White, he speaks the truth and that’s why the UFC is on Top..

• NJMMAFAN says:

I wonder since he was so happy to see them go under why he didnt offer insight into which of their fighters he would be bringing over to further rub it in…unless theres legal issue to that right now

• rob says:

I am glad that Lappen and Shaw are out of the MMA business – but I am bummed that another outlet for fights has gone by the waistside – they put on some great fights and had some great fights scheduled (alvarez/diaz) m- Maybe we can get Strikeforce to become national…….

• Pete says:

I agree with Dana 100%. I hope I never hear about Jared Shaw again or Kimbo Slice. RIP Proelite.

• dpk says:

I agree with Dana’s points, just not always how he says it. Time and time again he is proven right with what he says, and the harder others try to prove him wrong, the sooner they fail.

• Dave says:

haha. his comments about jared shaw are pretty funny.

• Dan says:

i think dana is a douchebag.

• Imbecile says:

I think it is sad for all of the fighters out there who no longer have a place to fight…at least in the short term. But otherwise Dana White is completely right to trash both Lappen and the Shaws, since those guys saw fit to trash the sport we love. Good riddance to all of those guys!

I think the real shame is that a lot of the semi-successful regional leagues that ProElite bought up – KOTC, Cage Rage, Icon – may be killed off along with ProElite, and those would have traditionally been the avenues for most of EliteXC’s fighters to get fights once they are let go. Sucks a lot for them, but probably good for the sport in the long run.

• Madmax says:

I guess I wont be getting email (Private Messages) from “Team”anymore!!! LOL

• Justin Van Hook says:

What a surprise, Dana shows his class once again. Making it harder and harder by the day for me to be a fan.

• mike says:

totally unecessary grow up dana

• JBAR says:

Sounds a little like pissing on their grave to me.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Lots of people want to be MMA fighters and lots of fans want to watch them. There will be other orgs, although they may not have the widespread exposure of UFC or ProElite. I couldn’t care less about ProElite’s management, but I’m sorry to see the org. fail. The more MMA the better, imo.

• Nate says:

Gina Carano, HELLO!!! Dana needs to talk about what is important. I dont care about Jared, Jay, or whoever else runs the organization. I just care about good fights.
    Since I only watch fights I like.. I dont care if Kimbo Slice fights, loses, or dances with Big Bert..

• BJJ in VA says:

Right on Dana, tell it like it is.

Elitexc has been pissing me off for too long and I definitely wont be sorry to see them go.

And I hope no one ever has to watch chicks fight or Kimbo vs. Tank vs. anyone as a main event ever again.

hallelujah

• Shaun says:

it’s about time. they’ve never put on an outstanding event ever.

-the ufc should try to get jake shields, cung le, gilbert melendez, and antonio silva after his suspension is complete.

-robbie lawler, frank shamrock, kimbo, scott smith, yves edwards, and all the rest who knows where they’ll end up.

-the wec should start a female division. gina and cyborg need to get it on.

-dana’s kind of a dick but he speaks the truth.

• JDMMA says:

BJJ in VA why wouldnt people want to see chicks fight or kimbo fight anymore? their ratings were highest when kimbo and gina were featured. Now i wouldnt be upset if i never saw kimbo fight for a major organization again (lest he gain some mma skill and not just street boxing), but as far as the women id like to see an organization create a womens division so the sport can continue to grow, after all it wasnt that long ago men werent allowed to fight on tv in mma

• Bob says:

Dana White must be very relieved. Now that EliteXC is gone. He will not have to pay the fighters the money they were about to command from the UFC. Do not get me wrong!!! I have never liked the Shaws and or the EliteXC. I think with out any question we need more organizations for MMA fighter to compete in. Some day soon, some one will follow in the foot steps of the UFC and give them a run for their money. At that point Dana and the UFC will be in allot of trouble. Not allot of fighter are happy there. I do however agree w/Dana White. It’s a very, very good thing that they are done. MMA does not need that kind of trash involved in this great sport. Good ridden Elite XC. Good luck to all of the MMA’ers that used to fight for the UFC. To bad you’ve had a falling out with the Monopoly man Dana White. Where do you all go from here?

• Fuhr says:

Dana is so mature.

• Dan Freely says:

Dana is an embarrassment to himself and his organization. Why anyone with so little class and sophistication is allowed to remain a spokesman is beyond me. Clearly, the UFC is a stronger player than upstarts in the sector and it will continue to use that position to try and crush any and all competition. This happens in most industries, but the juvenile and personal attacks on individuals simply denigrates him as a man more than it sheds any light on the subject of his scorn. Unfortunately, he is simply settling himself up (and his organization) for a fall that many believed will be well deserved when it happens. Something tells me the day the IRS has a look-see at his books, or one of his victims sues him for libel, is the day this whole charade will end.

• HexRei says:

All the people highfiving dana’s balls are naive. Dana is glad to see EXC gone because they were competition, no other reason. He cares about the sport only insofar as the UFC’s success in the sport is concerned. I can promise you that he was just as gleeful when Pride went under.

• egad81 says:

I will give Dana some credit…. the guys that ran EliteXC are really suspect. CBS & Showtime are excluded because they were just the vehicle to show EliteXC.

Guys that do good local shows (like Lou Neglia) have been a round a long time and dont try to take on the UFC. Strikeforce also comes to mind.
    GREED is the bottom line and the poor cant afford to be greedy….
    They also cant pay an over hyped fighter $13,888.89 PER SECOND (cough cough Kimbo)

• Thndrstrk says:

HexRei you’re a joke! They were never competition to the UFC. No organization has come close to challenging the UFC. The fact of the matter is the only fighters the other organizations get are guys the UFC doesn’t want with the exception of Fedor who doesn’t really want to face top level competition. I love Fedor but it’s time for him to step up. As far as Pride going down, he made that happen. But Pride wasn’t competition either. Replaying old fights on FSN doesn’t really qualify as competition. They were great in Japan but when it comes to marketing and promotion in the US they were terrible. The UFC is the only organization is the only mma organization that is run the way a business should be run. They are building their nest egg and giving fighter’s more money when it is a good financial decision so they don’t go bottoms up like these other organizations. Get educated on the subject before you post.

• DBO says:

Thndrstrk…I disagree with you on one key point…the UFC doesn’t retain top tier Heavyweight fighters. Fedor isn’t scared of anyone, and I am a Couture fan. The UFC is coming up extremely short in regards to HW comp. Brock Lesnar is a joke, Noguiera is very soft and should have more losses than he does, Couture is just an animal but really isn’t a true HW, and the rest are so inconsistent that Tim Sylvia got dismantled early in the first round. The UFC needs to pay Fedor to throw down with whomever comes out of this 4+ person battle royal Dana is calling ‘ “interim” champion meets winner of Brock vs Couture’.

You are right though, they know how to run a successful operation, I just think leadership should sometimes not make everything a personal vandetta, but more “it’s just business, nothing personal attitude”.

• Joey says:

Ditto DBO!

Thunderstruck . . . You get educated. Three of the top five heavyweights are not in the UFC. One of the other two Fedor beat on mercilessly for half hour. Three more of the top ten . . . according to fiveounces top ten (which is disputable, but very very reasonable) aren’t in the UFC. And one more the top ten that is, IMHO shouldn’t be on there (Gonzaga).

The UFC has 3 top ten heavyweights in my eyes . . . Affliction will probably end up with working relationships of 6 top ten heavyweights. And we’ll see what Antonio Silva does when he gets off suspension.

• HexRei says:

Thndrstrk on October 23rd, 2008 9:15 pm

I am educated, and the simple fact is that Dana takes his competition much more seriously than you do. Unlike you, he’s aware that the UFC is a business, and no matter how true you are to the sport, most important of all is the bottom line. The sport of MMA has always been secondary to the UFC with Dana because he is a businessman, not a sports commissioner. You can’t promote the wellbeing of the sport if your company goes under, after all. Feel free to continue to ignore that, but it won’t change the facts- he’s glad to see his COMPETITION gone. It’s the way he’s always operated, from Pride to WFA to WEC and not Affliction, EXC and Dream. Squeeze out the competition. And if you don’t realize that- you’re the one that’s uneducated.

• HexRei says:

“now Affliction, EXC, and soon Dream.” that should read.

• Shatner says:

Someone should ask Dana if EliteXC were worse for the sport than Junie or some of the other drunks he’s had on TUF I would like to hear what bullshit spin he puts on that.

• dpk says:

DBO – the only thing I don’t agree with your post is that UFC, has to pay Fedor to throw down. They have already offered the guy a $2 million signing bonus, and $1.5 million per fight. Fedor has not proven that he is a draw that even warrants that kind of pay (with Zuffa behind him, he would be after his first fight in the octogon) I would love to see Fedor in UFC, the best HW in the world belongs in the best organization, but I don’t blame Dana White or Zuffa for him not being there.