Rumored Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida main event for TUF 8 unlikely to happen

In the last week a proposed lightweight bout between Clay Guida and Nate Diaz has been rumored to headline the UFC and Spike TV’s upcoming live season finale for the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter on Saturday, December 13.

While the bout was considered by UFC officials at one point, FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that the fight is currently not expected to take place.

While speaking with a source close to one of the fighters on Thursday, we learned that a foot injury sustained by Guida has made the proposed bout between the two doubtful to be finalized for the TUF 8 finale. It is believed that Guida’s injury could in fact be a fracture, which would almost certainly rule him out of the fight.

While it is yet to be confirmed, Diaz is believed to be anxious to fight before year’s end and it is possible he could still appear in a televised bout on the card against a different opponent. Guida’s immediate fight schedule is uncertain, as we were unable to receive a timetable for his recovery.

As of now, the only bouts certain to take place on the TUF 8 finale are both the light heavyweight and lightweight finals of the show along with a rematch between Anthony Johnson and Kevin Burns.

• Jim says:

I think Johnson is going to come out like he did against Spears — Burns is in real trouble in this match.

• JOe K. says:

Is Guida never to be on a ppv again. He seems to be king of the UFN’s and TUF finales.

• gygax says:

Guida is likely to be taking on Kurt Pellegrino in January, according to Pellegrino’s strength coach.

• portland mma says:

Guida is so damn boring

• portland mma says:

Guida is so damn boring, not a big fan of the caveman lay and pray technique

• DamonO says:

Guida boring? You have got to be kidding me! Dude is always moving around, always taking action.

• Jackyl says:

Screw that. It’s not lay and pray if you are almost constantly working. I love Guida’s fights. He always gives 110%.

• WarriorPoetNY says:

Guida is always moving around… but I’m not sure that alone make him exciting to watch. He needs more knockout power to really become a star. Just my 2 cents.

• portland mma says:

In his 8 fights under Zuffa (I’m counting 1 WEC fight) he is 5-3 (with 2 split decisions). In those 5 victories he has finished the fight 2 times and his opponents was an unimpressive Sammy Shiavo and Justin “who the hell is that guy” James. His fight against Danzig was the epitome of merely frustrating someone with the lay and pray technique. Guida is so overated. He’s is JUST a gate keeper but he’ll never be invited in because he can’t beat big names or finish fights against legitimate opponents.

• portland mma says:

Besides if I didn’t count his WEC win he’d be 4-3 in the UFC that is really unimpressive.

• charles says:

I love Clay Guida fights just as much as anybody. Great wrestling,his cardio is off the charts but after the last fight I am kind of tired of him not being able to finsh them.I mean come on ground and pound is basic for any wrestler but he just dosen’t have that skill set yet .If this fight did happen I would sat diaz by submission 2nd round.I would love to see Guida in the top 10 Lightweights but as of right now he is the ever so loving gatekeeper.Sorry to say that .I hope he can learn something new before his next fight.At the least SOMEONE PLEASE show he some good GROUND and POUND.

• Tim says:

To me, Guida is far from boring but I too would like to see him start finishing some fights. He should’ve never lost to Roger Huerta, and that fight was not in the least bit boring.

Guida vs Diaz would be entertaining.

• detroit_fan says:

Guida is a very exciting fighter. Would have made for an interesting fight against Diaz.

• Numba1Stunna says:

Diaz deserves a better fight than Guida, the man is 5-0 in the UFC, 8-0 counting TUF. And I know that doesnt count on an official record, but the guys he beat are still fighting in the UFC, Gray Maynard, Corey Hill and Rob Emerson. Pretty impressive if you ask anyone. IMO Nate needs to beat at least one more contender before he is ready for his title shot. I say get him any fight before this year ends, and after that start giving him the elite. Ken Flo Vs. Diaz, T.Griffin vs. Diaz, Sherk Vs. Diaz, Stevenson Vs. Diaz….

• portland mma says:

I’m a huuuge Diaz fan and I don’t think he is ready for that competition (Sherk, Griffin, Stevenson). Nate really needs to improve his striking and his wrestling technique to maximize his scrawny self. He does have some of the most beautiful BJJ in the UFC though with along with Damien Maia. Not to mention Nate is only a BROWN belt under Cesar Gracie (I know that means black belt to anyone else) but my point is he is still improving everyday, but I’d just like to see his striking improve a bit.

• jmo says:

If Diaz is itching to fight, I think a rematch with Hermes Franca would be a legit bout. I’m not sure the UFC is interested in putting Franca in a main event, but hey if they put in Neer then I don’t see why that would stop them.

I didn’t see their last fight, but it could be entertaining and a good story line.

• Chris says:

This is such a great fight. I think that Nate gets a sub though actually on Guida. Triangle in the 2nd round i think.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Guida rocks the Caveman Kasbah.
    If he can’t fight Nate.then how about Danzig vs. Nate?

• Dayzah says:

Cause that would be a step dwon for nate , Danzig just loss..

• Dayzah says:

“step down ” sorry for spelling

What about Frankie Edgar and Nate?

• johneeey says:

pleeeaaaassee , no more airtime for Quida . if he wins in spectactular fashon , then show highlights of it . but man , hes the machida on the ground .

• TK says:

Fact: Kurt Pelligrino was destroying NDiaz until Kurt got lazy.

• TK says:

Name one exciting fight ND has been in? He has a good chin and good BJJ. His stand-up is horrible, G&P sucks and wrestling (especially takedowns) are for shit. Top it all off besides for BJJ, he has no idea how to use his height as leverage in the Greco pummel clinch.

• ChrisC says:

Wow… can’t believe there’re people out there saying “Guida is boring” That’s an oxymoron.

• RJA says:

To say guida is boring is like saying forest griffen doesn’t have heart.It’s a ridiculous statement.I would love to see guida kick dias ass,don’t anybody jump all over me about them being good fighters,because i know they are very talented,i just can’t stand either of them

• HexRei says:

Guida is definitely not boring, but his standup isn’t the best and he certainly does go to decision a lot. Nonetheless I think it would be a great fight. I don’t see either finishing the other though.

• Mr.PIBB says:

Guida IS boring. It’s not an oxymoron it’s the truth.The guy doesn’t submit people, he doesn’t knock them out, he lays on top of them and hopes to point them out on takedowns alone.Ask Mac Danzig. The guy just doesn’t make for exciting fights.

• HexRei says:

lol, do you think this is kickboxing or something? Yes he takes them down, then he works his groundgame. that’s not boring, he’s working to pass and GnP.

• RJA says:

I agree he has trouble finishing,but that does’t make him boring.He was kicking huerta’s ass in exiting fashion before he got caught.I think he’s a little to crazy sometimes,the guys nonstop.Going by that standard you must think forrest griffens boring too.

• RJA says:

You know it’s just a matter of opinion i guess.I personally like any fight thats fast paced,i just assume the fight go all the way then.But the fighters like lesner who just lay are very boring.Some people just aren’t happy unless there’s a big knockout.I personally always thought it wasn’t fair to critisize fighters for not finishing as long as there winning.It doesn’t always mean anything anyway.Look at rashard evans he had the same thing said about him,and we all saw his last fight.

• Robert says:

I don’t know what MR.PIBB is talking about Guida vs. Tyson Griffin and Guida vs. Roger Huerta are a couple of the better fights I’ve seen, he must be the type of fan that likes the instant 1st round knockout.

• Mr.PIBB says:

I like to see fights finished.Period. If it’s a submission, cool, a knockout , cool. I just don’t like the majority of the wrestlers who just try to out point guys by taking a guy down and not working for a sub or decent GnP.I don’t like guys like Lesnar, Koscheck or Guida. I like NateDiaz because he finishes fights. I like Kenny Florian because he finishes fight. I’m sorry my opinion doesn’t match up with you “hardcore” fans.

• jj says:

Guida is boring. 110% wrasslin is boring.

• HexRei says:

My favorite part of Mr Pibb’s post was where he put hardcore in quotes as if someone here had used the term.

• dpk says:

I think most of the people here don’t have a problem with wrestlers, just the ones who lay and pray, but lets face it people more and more wrestlers are coming into the sport every day, this is the professional league for college and international wrestlers, and luckily most of them like Cain, Carwin, and Rosholt are working hard to round out their games so that they can knock people out or submit them.

I think Nate and Huerta would be a good fight, but the only way it happens is if Huerta resigns. The other guys that would be interesting would be Franca (It would let Nate make up for his last loss, but Franca needs to win his upcoming fight), Edgar (might not happen just because Edgar already lost to Maynard from TUF), Miller (Guy is solid, and if he wins at 89 why not), or if Nate will wait until Joe Stevenson is done fighting KenFlo, I think he could be competitive with (He did just beat Neer, who has a win over Joe).

Which, by the way, does anyone know where the two sides stand in there contract negotiation? I would honestly expect him to get a contract similar to the contract that Sanchez and Kos just got, which started at 35/35.