Reports that former UFC champion Frank Shamrock volunteered to replace his adopted brother, Ken Shamrock, in the main event of this past weekends Saturday Night Fights on CBS are indeed correct.
The news was confirmed in a press release issued by EliteXC late Wednesday night in which the promotion’s Head of Fighter Operations, Jeremy Lappen, stated that the reports were true.
“… Reports that Frank Shamrock volunteered that evening to fight Kimbo Slice are true,” Lappen is quoted as saying in the release. “Frank is a competitive fighter and he was willing to step up for his organization and the MMA fans. His offer was very greatly appreciated, but everyone in the room knew when he made the offer that it wasn’t a realistic possibility on such short notice.”
Some of the hurdles standing in the way of a Slice vs. Frank Shamrock fight could have been the ability to get Shamrock medically cleared on short notice; work out a compensation package that EliteXC’s shrinking budget could afford; and obtain consent from Slice’s camp to accept the fight.
As dangerous as Seth Petruzelli was to Slice’s perfect record, Shamrock would have been an even greater threat. Slice’s camp was able to negotiate a $500,000 payday for him to fight Petruzelli on short notice and it is likely they were in a position to command even more against the younger of the two Shamrocks.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has also confirmed that in addition to Petruzelli and Shamrock, another option was considered as well. The man Petruzelli was originally supposed to face, 11-2 light heavyweight Aaron Rosa, confirmed to us via e-mail that he had been asked as well if he was willing to take a fight on short notice vs. Slice.
“… I was the fifth fight of the night so right as i was warming up my manager, Monte Cox called me and told me what had happened to Ken and asked me if I would fight Kimbo,” Rosa revealed. “I thought about it for two minutes (and) asked my corner Kyle. He said it (was) a big opportunity (and) then I said ‘yes.’ Monte told me that he was going to charge them $100,000 for me to fight him. Then I really wanted the fight (but) Kimbo’s team and CBS to pick between who they wanted to fight and they went with Seth.”
Despite being denied an opportunity of a lifetime, Rosa was still able to put the events of this weekend into perspective.
“Seth did a great job — it was the perfect punch,” Rosa wrote. “The stars aligned for him that night. I was mad for awhile that I didn’t get picked to fight Kimbo but G-d knows what he is doing.”