Bas Rutten believes Kimbo’s decison to fight Petruzelli was the right one

If you were expecting Bas Rutten, one of Kimbo Slice’s trainers, to throw him under the bus following his first-ever career professional loss this past Saturday, you’re sadly mistaken.

Rutten, a former UFC heavyweight champion who has prepared for all three of Slice’s professional fights and his exhibition debut, still believes the decision to face ex-UFC light heavyweight Seth Petruzelli during EliteXC and CBS’ Saturday Night Fights this past weekend was the right call to make.

“I think it was the right decision because people were there to see him right,” said Rutten during an exclusive interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com. “I think that 80 percent of the people in the place were there for Kimbo. And they found a replacement for Ken (Shamrock) so let’s put the fight on?”

When asked if he was surprised in the manner in which Slice was knocked down — a right jab by Petruzelli — Rutten indicated that he certainly was.

“I think everyone in that place was surprised with that,” he responded. “We’ve seen him in street brawls get hit much harder and still stay up. This was literally what they call a fluke shot. Was it a lucky shot? People might say it’s a lucky shot but it’s not. He aimed for it and I’ve always said that if you aim for it and you hit it then it’s not a lucky shot. It was a weird position to punch from but for some reason it took the wind out of him. It was very weird.”

While many are writing off Slice in light of the disappointing effort, Rutten is standing by Slice and believes that the outcome could have been worse.

“Some people cannot win regardless of the outcome,” Rutten began. “It’s a no-win situation. Everyone is bagging on him. If people are smart, they will look at the fight. It lasted 14 seconds. It was a flash knockout. It was a weird punch but because he was running in and there was some power on it, it knocked him down. Look, if this guy had come in and it was a 1-2 to the body followed up by some punches to the head and another one to the body and you saw Kimbo standing there messed up and then get hit with a clean 1-2 and then go down, then I say that’s going to hurt him. This isn’t going to hurt him. It was more of a push instead of a punch. It’s not a big deal.”

Rutten was also asked whether there were any training issues that might have contributed to Slice’s performance on Saturday night.

“He trained hard,” answered Rutten. “I was gone for a little bit and some things popped up. We trained 80 percent for the ground so that we could defend those leg locks and other submissions. That was the gameplan and we decided to devote the other 20 to striking. Now people will look back and go ‘Oh, was that the reason that he lost against Seth Petruzelli?’ and it’s not. Kimbo’s striking is good enough. In fact, I think his striking is very decent. So that was not the problem at all but it was a total gameplan change in his mind. But even that doesn’t stop you from getting hit by such a weird punch.”

• woooburn says:

“It was more of a push instead of a punch.”

ssssuuuuuuurrrrreeee it was. so PTFO then?

• banter says:

PTFO?

English man….

• HexRei says:

I LIKE TURTLES!

• HexRei says:

PTFO = pushed the fuck out

• Da' Ref says:

Come Bas, you don’t really believe that. Kimbo is a chump and always will be. If he ever fought a real fighter like Josh Barnett or Fedor, it would be a televised homicide.

• Robert says:

He had 500,000 reasons to fight Seth.

• phil says:

dude he never once said he was the best hw or anything close hes just popular because of his fame on youtube quit hating on the guy cause its not you… i’d let someone knock me the fuck out for 500,000. No I’m not defending him its just stupid that people are trying to say he’d get murdered if he fought someone good or decent and well that happened he still sells tickets so stfu

• jason petterson says:

I was in Sunrise for the fight.Kimbo was offered a cash bonus to take the fight.Also you should have seen all the bad sportsmanship from kimbo entourage.THROWING ITEMS AT SETH AND TRYING TO FIGHT SETHS FAMILY AND TRAINEERS AFTER HE GOT BEAT.JUST WATCH THE REPLAY AND YOU WILL SEE THE ARTICLES COME FLYING IN THE RING WHEN SETH IN ON HIS CORNERS SHOULDERS.YOU SHOULD ALSO WATCH SHAW RINGSIDE YELLING AT THE REF TRYING TO GET THEM TO STOP THE FIGHT AND SAVE KIMBO.ALL SHAW COULD SEE WAS $$$ SIGNS SLIPPING AWAY.WATCH THE REPLAY AND YOU WILL SEE EVERYTHING. I WAS RIGHT BEHIND TERRY HULK HOGAN AND HAD A GREAT VIEW.BUT WHEN I GOT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT TO SOUTH BEACH AND WATCH THE REPLAY IT LOOKS GREAT. JUST WATCH THE LOOK ON SHAWS FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Davey D says:

Jason, that is crazy dude. Kimbo can’t control that action’s of other people but he should tell them not to do that shit again. Throwing trash and fighting with Seth’s family? WTF? What a bunch of stupid facking idoit’s. Just because they know Kimbo, they think they have a right to do low life antics like that? Unbelievable.

I seen Skala doing his little shtick on camera. He shut up right when the fight was called. He is full of shit if he thinks Seth threw an illegal strike. Spin it DJ Skala. Kimbo losing isn’t really that bad either. He’ll still be good draw for EXC and that is all they need.

Unfortunatley, I am positive there have been worse post fight fiasco’s in MMA just like there have been in all the other sport’s in this world. I saw the Malice at the Palace in Detroit.

• jason petterson says:

it was the dumbest thing i have seen at a mma event.they were part of kimbos team.this was the first i have seen anything like this at elitexc or ufc and i go to all of them.maybe with fans and the crowd but not with the fighters teams and family.if you watch the replay you will see shit come flying in the ring.they are grown men and should have enough respect for ones family and not do shit like that. i have yet to see anyone kimbo has beat throw items at him.
    just watch jareds face and him trying to get the ref to call foul. that is bullshit.he is sceamng at the ref.it is all clear when you watch the replay. they would not comment on my questions in the press room after the fight.it was funny!!!!11

• troy smith says:

i was sitting behind tito ortiz and beside jerman taylor. i saw the whole thing taylor got up and left the event. i think he use to be the champion in boxing. his comment was look is that mike tyson crew! there was no security inside the baraicade,something you would see at wwe. i thought the circus had come to the bank atlantic center!

• kscott says:

what do u expect..he is a street fighter and hangs out with thugs.

i was suprised at his post fight press conference and giving seth a hug

in all reality he probably doesnt care because he just made half a mil
    that can buy him a ton of wife beater shirts and do rag things for his head!!!
    gannnnnnnnnnnngstaaaaaaaaaaa

• HexRei says:

Davey D on October 6th, 2008 7:41 pm

Although I mostly agree with you, Seth did throw one obvious hammerfirst to the back of the head right after the first right dropped Kimbo. You can’t see it in the actual live footage but the replay shot from Kimbo’s right , it’s completely visible. Put it in slow motion if you don’t believe me.

However, a single accidental shot to the back of the head isn’t enough to warrant a restart or anything more than a verbal warning with no ref interference, so it’s kind of irrelevant.

• jbuzz says:

I dont think there’s a conspiracy, but I do think Kimbo Slice is more marketable under the “redemption” banner than he would have been after beating poor old Ken Shamrock into oblivion.

• Davey D says:

HexRei, you are right. I was able to find some footage of the fight after my comments and saw that. It was one strike to the back of Kimbo’s head in the no-no zone. It happened very fast. I like the idea of a rematch but that probably won’t happen. I’d like to see EXC put on a HW tournament next year. Cheers!

• Narcisistic says:

I have sat in on conference calls with Kimbo in the past and he is not the one hyping himself up, it was Gary and Jared Shaw. If you hate this guy you hate the American Dream, start from nothing and find your way to the top.

Kimbo himself never hypes himself up or says anything diserepectful at all, he always says he is greatful for the opportunitty to be able to support his family.

• Timmy says:

“the American Dream, start from nothing and find your way to the top.”

That’s the definition of Kimbo. It’s just hate, is all. He’s never said he was the best, and he’s one of the most humble fighters in MMA. He admits, every chance he gets, that he’s got a long ways to go. People say he sucks because he got hit with a jab to the temple? How many times has he gotten hit square in the face with no gloves? But those punches don’t count, I forgot. Should he exercise to build muscle over his temple to prevent flash knockouts?

• Rick says:

Totally agree with Timmy and Narcisistic, etc. I watched this fight b/c I used to watch Kimbo’s brawls on youtube. He certainly is not the most skilled all around fighter. I don’t think he’s ever said anything on record to that effect. He’s just said he’ll fight whomever is put in front of him, and that’s just courage/confidence/pride/greed…whatever you want to call it, but it’s not arrogance or him thinking he’s the best.
    Also, to piggy back on a lot of previous comments, it’s not like this is the first time a flash K/O has happend to a tough guy. Period the end. Lets not go crazy questioning his chin.

• Robbie says:

People dont kimbo, people dislike his fans, who think that he has the best striking and hes the best fighter, and that no one could beat him, thats why people give kimbo so much stiff, to try and counteract all the praise he gets.