UFC officially announces Franklin vs. Henderson and Shogun vs. Coleman for UFC 93

The UFC has officially announced a pair of light heavyweight clashes between Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Mark Coleman for its confirmed UFC 93 event on January 17 from the brand new O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

The event will be available in the United States on a pay-per-view basis.

“Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson is a battle between two great former champions who are both looking to get another chance to wear a world title around their waist,” UFC President Dana White is quoted as saying in a press release at UFC.com. “Franklin is the former UFC middleweight champion, and he’s a dangerous striker with solid submission skills – he also showed great takedown defense in his September destruction of powerful wrestler Matt Hamill. Dan Henderson is the former PRIDE welterweight and middleweight champion. He’s a world class wrestler, known for his great chin and his one punch knockout power. He defeated formidable Brazilian submission specialist Rousimar Palhares in September. These are two fan favorites with a lot of pride on the line as they want to show that they are still among the very best fighters in the world.”

The Henderson vs. Franklin has been a matchup many hardcore fans have been asking to see for quite some time. It’s been reported that attempts the match the two up have been made in the past, but to no avail. Now it’s a reality and both fighters are looking forward to the 205 lbs. encounter.

“This is the fight my fans have wanted for a long time now, and they want to see me fight Rich Franklin,” Henderson is quoted. “I think this will be a great fight for Ireland, it definitely will be exciting because we both like to stand and bang, and we both have knockout power. I’m excited to go to Ireland and to take on Rich; I think he’s a tough opponent and a huge challenge, but I don’t see myself losing to him.”

“Dan Henderson has great credentials, and he is going to be one of the toughest fights of my career,” Franklin told UFC.com. “That being said, I’m planning on winning the fight, and I’m looking forward to fighting in the main event and fighting in Ireland. I love the fans, and the way they react by singing and chanting makes it a unique experience for me.”

Underneath Franklin vs. Henderson on the UFC 93 marquee will be another bout contested at 205 lbs. featuring a rematch between Coleman and Rua. The two first met in 2006 during PRIDE 31. Coleman was declared victorious via TKO just 49 seconds into round 1 after Rua sustained a broken arm. A potential rematch has been rumored for quite some time.

For the 16-3 Rua, it will be his first fight since a third round submission loss to current UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 76 on Sept. 22, 2007.

Coleman, a former UFC heavyweight champion and a UFC Hall of Famer, has not fought since Oct. 21, 2006 following a second round submission loss to then-PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko at PRIDE 32.

Coleman’s appearance at UFC 93 will be his first fight under the UFC banner since a decision loss to Pedro Rizzo at UFC 18 in 1999. He had been scheduled to face Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 but was forced to pull out of the fight due to an injury.

For the 43-year old Coleman, this will mark his first fight as a light heavyweight.

• Michael says:

Can Coleman get down to 205? or will Shogun be fighting at heavyweight??

• Charles says:

Can anybody tell me why the hell everytime Rick Franklin is about to fight he has a black eye.Every Interview before a fight a black eye…..Anybody know why

• KTru says:

It is a LHW contest between Coleman and Shogun.
    That is a very…..very interesting match up

Hendo versus Ace….So damn excited to see this one!!!!!

• rob says:

I have to respectfully disagree KTru – it would have had the rematch happened after he (shogun) healed after the arm – but we have two guys coming off major injuries. At 100%, personally I don;t feel that this is a close fight at all, unless shogun gets lax and allows Marc to take him down – Shogun wins in the standup, and of course stamina – no disrespect but Coleman is like Baroni in like he ALWAYS gasses early – -I hope I’m wrong for the fights’ sake

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Any idea if this one will be free on Spike?

• Neil says:

These are a couple of good fights.. and ones that they might just need. It doesn’t seem like their UK events ever seem to do very well in terms of selling out arenas.

Charles: That’s a good question. Every time I’ve ever seen Franklin he’s always got at least one black eye, and/or cuts… maybe he bangs his head on the kitchen counter every few days to give himself that “bad-ass” look!

• KTru says:

I am sorry rob but I am not sure why you disagree with me. I didnt think I made a definitive statement. I jokingly state that of course.

Was it because I said it would be a “very…very interesting match up”?
    The reason I say that was because of what kind of fighters they will be coming off of major injuries. And that if Coleman has the strength to compete after cutting to 205. What does Shogun gain from this fight?

• matt says:

even if it’s not on spike i’ll watch it cause it’s got two great fights.

• KTru says:

That is funny Neil.
    You know the “School Teacher” look will not strike fear in to Hendo.

Maybe Franklin should add another black eye, 14 stitches, both fat lips and fifth of El Toro before his pre-fight interview against Henderson

• Shannon says:

Just a quick fyi, Mark and Pedro fought at UFC 18, not nit picking, but you’ll prolly get 50 more comments on it.

• Guy Gaduois says:

I always wonder if Rich opens doors with his face in order to protect his hands. Was that a police academy movie where everybody at the dinner table punches each other in the face? Maybe at the Franklin’s, nothing says, ‘Good morning’ better than a stiff right cross . . .
    Or maybe like my guy Clouseau, the Franklins ambush each other in order to keep their edge.

Rua v. Coleman seems like a “we gotta have ’em do something – we’re paying contracts” more than ‘matchups make fights’.

• dpk says:

I got a feeling this will be on Spike because of the time difference, and the fact that Afflicition is scheduled to be that night as well. They also have the Superbowl PPV only two weeks later, and 2 PPVs a month would cause alot of people to choose one.

I’ve wanted to see the Franklin v Hendo fight since Hendo signed with UFC, should be awsome, and it will be great to see Shogun back in action as well.

• woooburn says:

not that i really care all that much, but i figured henderson was gonna be the coach against bisping on the text season of TUF? wont this fight eliminate that possibility (probably starts filming in a couple months, no?)?

wonder who they’d use instead. marquardt maybe?

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

So why aren’t Franklin and Henderson fighting at Middleweight?

Mark Coleman @ 205? Interesting. Mark Coleman is one of the most boring fighters ever to step into the cage. He’s one of the pioneers of the lay’n’pray. Hopefully Shogun will have some takedown defense, so we can see him use Coleman as a punching bag.

• Charles says:

Neil: Very funny maybe someone should do a black eye montage of Rich “Ace Black Eye” Franklin. I thought he wakes up and goes ” I have a interview today holly crap someone punch me in my eye or maybe he does wake into doors.

• Charles says:

walk sorry

• Sergio Hernandez says:

woooburn: I’ve been of the opinion that they should use Marquardt regardless if Henderson wins this or not.

Henderson has 10 years on Marquardt and this is an excellent opportunity to give a young, great fighter some good exposure.

• Jason G says:

Sam,

Is it confirmed that Rua/Coleman are fighting at 205? Some sources are saying 205 and others are saying heavyweight. The UFC website doesn’t really say at what weight the bout will be contested.

• Sam Caplan says:

1. In the second paragraph it states that the event will be on PPV.

2. Regarding Coleman’s weight, the article also states that the fight will be at 205 lbs. If Coleman wants the fight, he’s going to have to cut down. But he’s talked about cutting down for several months now.

3. I am assuming that Franklin vs. Henderson is being done at 205 lbs. as opposed to 185 lbs. so that the winner can be built up for a big money match at light heavyweight. Both guys have fought and lost to Anderson Silva, so there’s really no where to go for whoever wins the fight at 185. But a win at 205 can be leverage into an intriguing matchup for the winner.

• Loco541 says:

for those wondering about franklins eye, its something that has stuck with him since training. Dont know why it isnt going away, almost seems to be a permanent black eye.

• HexRei says:

Coleman can make 205. He was only around 225 at HW, he should be able to cut that no problem.

• Shaun says:

I think Shogun should be able to take out Coleman pretty easily. Before the arm break, you could tell Coleman was in another world with the way Shogun was throwing on submissions. Shogun by sub.

• Justin B says:

the weight cut may give coleman a little better cario??

• Brandon says:

The Coleman fight should be at 205, originally when Coleman was scheduled to fight Lesnar he was saying that he was going down to light heavyweight and was expecting to fight there before he got the call from the UFC…

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“Before the arm break, you could tell Coleman was in another world with the way Shogun was throwing on submissions.”

Um… I haven’t seen the fight in a year so but exactly how many submission attempts did Shogun throw at Coleman in the 49 seconds that the fight lasted?

• Sergio Hernandez says:

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Damn double post!

• platypus says:

mark is NOT gonna make weight…

• anonymous says:

hm

• Robert says:

platypus Mark IS going to make weight he fought around 220 or 225 his last few fights and has 3 and a half months to be at 205 for the fight and i hope he wins simply by avoidind submissions and laying on Shogun just to piss of the idiots who use the term lay n pray.

• Robert says:

The guy who said Coleman vs. Shogun seems like a were paying them their contracts let’s have them fight match up might be a bigger idiot than most UFC fans.

• CaptainAmerica1967 says:

I saw the Coleman vs Shogun fight. Coleman rushed Shogun for a takedown and Shogun fell back on his forearm (Ulna) and it snapped and looked horrible and probably worse than Tim Sylvia’s arm did against Mir.

Coleman started celebrating and the Chute Box team (Shogun’s team) ran out and almost attacked Coleman, but then the Hammer House (Coleman’s team) ran out to back up Coleman.

• HexRei says:

lol ya Coleman was standing on Wandy’s neck and there were like thirty tiny japanese guys trying to hold him back.

• KTru says:

My mistake, I was going off of Sherdog’s weight and it shows Coleman at 245. 220 to 225 will be no issue.

Coleman’s age will be a bigger disadvantage because he is no Couture.

Just revisited memory lane and watched Rua versus Coleman 1. And good call Hex, Coleman did look like Godzilla minus the fire breath. But the scaly exterior and the infamous scream are right on.

• Chris says:

Coleman without steroids… uh oh

• Davey D says:

I am glad to see both of these bout’s made offical. We’ve been calling for Ace vs. Hendo for a long time. Since it is set at 205, this one should be frickin’ sweet considering what will become of the final result. Can’t pick a winner yet.

Shogun vs. Coleman II will be an all out war I believe. There was a roit at the end of the first fight and those feelings don’t just go away. These two won’t hold back a bit and their styles make up for a very entertaining fight. This event is looking good so far.

• Anomie42 says:

Affliction is going to bleed the UFC dry. It doesn’t matter if Affliction 2 ever happens, just the threat of it scares Dana. The UFC is putting on so many events that a number of things could happen. One, people won’t have enough money to keep buying the PPV. Two, the UFC will keep losing money with FREE cards on Spike. Three, fans will get bored or upset with sub-standard cards. Four, the UFC will get sloppy by doing so many promotions.

Fans of more than 2 years will remember when cards were great and you’d see four amazing match ups. Now I get a headliner and a bunch of TUF guys who are just being self-promoted!

• nate says:

SHOGUN!!!! please let him not get injured. Nice matchup with Coleman.. though I hope he can beat him given his horrible past performance.

• Robert says:

Chris, Coleman tested clean at Pride 32 back in 2006.I also hope he beats Shogun by brutal ground n pound.

• Powers says:

SHOWGOON HOOAH ALL THE WAY BABY

• Damo says:

Shogun.

No question.

Coleman is old, crap, and… well… old.

• Jason G says:

Anomie42 I could be mistaken but they usually have one ppv a month and a fight night every other month or so. they’re having an extra fight night in december but it’s a special event for charity. I’ll admit there are a lot of top fighters fighting from November thru January.

• rob says:

ktru – my bad – I though by interesting matchup you were implying that this would be a great fight – but if we are getting it can we have a Team Chute Boxe (including Wand) vs. Team Hammer House to settle the score – for those that don;t know what I’m talking about after Shogun broke his arm Mark was talking -ish to Chute Boxe and Baroni and Wand got into it, etc. check it out. So Baroni/Ninja (again) Wand/randleman and Shogun/Coleman in an old-school PRIDE team battle – -LOL!!! sarcasm…..

• rob says:

excuse me – correction Ninja/Baroni never fought – -I take the again away from it

• nick says:

Totally off subject but does anybody know of any good Hotels near the Dublin 02??

• ragefightingwear says:

The UFC has money to spend give them credit. They aren’t losing money anyway.

This going to be tough fight for Franklin, nice to see Shogun back!

• This card will very good, making feeping the heat on AFFLICTION.

• Nate says:

Man I STILL cant wait for the Shogun vs Coleman fight. I forgot Coleman broke his arm. That is going to be insane.

• steve allenbaugh says:

before they stopped headbuts coleman ruled and noone would beat him ever if he could use them.
    with coleman you will be on your back no matter who you are.