Stikeforce “Payback” to feature the “Karate Hottie”

SAN JOSE, Calif. — To the naked eye, Michelle Waterson looks more like she should be gracing the pages of Maxim rather than beating up on opponents in caged combat. Just like the old cliché “looks can be deceiving” goes though, it turns out that the petite, 22 year old, otherwise known as the “Karate Hottie,” packs as much firepower as she does gorgeous looks.

Waterson, a former bikini model and native of Aurora, Colorado, has been throwing kicks and punches since the age of 10 when she took her first Karate class and, on Friday, she will attempt to give her hometown fans a dose of brutal theatrics when she makes her seventh professional start in mixed martial arts (MMA) competition at Broomfield Event Center.

“It’s gonna be an explosive fight,” said Waterson, who will face Tyra Parker on the 10-bout Strikeforce “Payback” card. The matchup will mark Waterson’s debut with the growing Strikeforce organization. “I heard Tyra’s really aggressive and good on the ground so it should be very exciting for the fans.”

As a contestant on the 2007 Oxygen network series, “Fight Girls,” a reality program that gave female kickboxers the opportunity to train and battle one another while living at a Las Vegas, Nevada martial arts camp, Waterson introduced herself to a national audience.

“It was a great experience,” said Waterson of the time she spent filming the show. “ It helped me become a stronger person and helped me learn how to deal with problems on my own. It also showed me that fighting is not just physical, but also mental.”

Shortly before the TV stint, Waterson, who is half American and half Thai by descent, took a trip to Thailand where she fell in love with the country’s national sport – Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing).

It was the culmination of her past experiences in martial arts and her burning desire to excel at the sport of MMA that, a year and a half ago, led her to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she has taken up residence to train under Greg Jackson, guru of one of the most finely tuned fight teams in the country.

“I needed to come here to take my career to the next level,” explained Waterson. “I’ve learned how to grapple on the ground and use my wrestling as a weapon. I’m a much more well-rounded fighter now.

Her work with Team Jackson produced dividends five weeks ago when she forced an opponent to submit from an armbar just 22 seconds into their bout. “Albuquerque has become a second home for me, and the Jackson team has become my family.”

Tickets for Strikeforce “Payback,” priced from $30, are on sale at Ticketmaster (303-830-TIXS) and Ticketmaster.com

In the main event of the 10-bout card, knockout artist and Denver native, Duane “Bang” Ludwig (16-8), will attempt to avenge a previous knockout at the hands of “The Ultimate Fighter” season three veteran, Sam “The Squeeze” Morgan (19-10). Superstar Frank “Twinkle Toes” Trigg (17-6) will take on Hawaiian submission expert, Falaniko “Niko” Vitale (26-8), in a featured middleweight (185 lb. limit) contest.

Broomfield Event Center doors will open for Strikeforce “Payback” at 5:30 PM MST and the preliminary card will begin at 6:30 PM MST. The main card will commence at 8 PM MST.

This event will be broadcast on HDNet

[ courtesy of Strikeforce]

• A$$hole says:

I saw the word “lifetime” and immediately ceased any respest I had for her.

• HexRei says:

were you reading a different article or something? that word isn’t on this page except where you typed it.

• HexRei says:

wait, were you getting lifetime mixed up with the oxygen network? cmon man, its a network for women, so they have a women’s fighting reality show. and you disrespect her? grow up little boy.

• Yushin-Sama says:

A$$hole on October 2nd, 2008 12:20 am I saw the word “lifetime” and immediately ceased any respest I had for her. <— idiot she probly kick ur ass and how could u not respect that fine ass,u gay or sumthing y would u say sumthing like that

• Yushin-Sama says:

hex rei s rite grow up lttle gay boy

• spoOfee says:

yea A$$hole , u stooge head, dont know what u on about, why would u lose respect for her, she’s a hottie that would kick your ass. mine too and id let HER!! YEA BABY

• ttttt says:

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“wow the guys just posting his opinion and everyone jumps on him. sounds like other people are the little boys.”

When his opinion consists of not even knowing what network Fight Girls was on even though it’s clearly named in the article, it’s pretty easy to jump all over him.

• Rich S. says:

alright come on guys..
    i mean, his name IS A$$hole..
    what’d you expect?

• bob says:

ill def watch her in high def on hdnet!!!

• ihateemo says:

Karate Hottie, you so fine, you so fine you blow my mind! Holy smokes! Google Image Search for ‘michelle waterson’ is a smorgasbord of hotness.

Also, she fights good! I feel bad that women are always going to be objectified but, just like Gina Carano, I do respect her for her fighting skills as well as her slamming body.

• ihateemo says:

Mind you, she does call herself the Karate Hottie so she’s clearly OK with being a sex symbol too. 😉

• Venom says:

• KTru says:

What happens when she gets into her 40s and she is hanging onto her fighting career and Playboy no longer calls? (If Playboy isnt completely bankrupt by then)
    Change her name to “Karate Hit the Wall”? Doesnt have same ring. How about “Karate Pottie”?
    “Depends” could use that slogan. I am trademarking it right now……

As I need to note:
    Do not always take my opinions and statements seriously

• BoRocker says:

I looked at what view vids I could find on both ladies…Should be a good fight.

• Nate says:

oh man this is cool.

• Robert says:

Waterson could be a good draw for EliteXC she has a entertaining fighting style and is obviously very good looking but i don’t know if they have enough opponents for here at her weight class.

• Ray says:

karate hottie..WOW..what a good fighter and hot as hell!!!

• Eric S says:

“I think Michelle needs to change her nickname! I don’t think that hardcore fight fans will EVER take her seriously with the nickname “The Karate Hottie”. She needs to create a nickname that tells us about her fighting prowess, NOT her looks! I’m all for hot chicks fighting (If they have actually MMA talent), but I’m a fan of their fighting abilities, not how “hot” they are.”

Yeah but nobody cares about chick fights unless at least one of the chicks is hot. Why do you think that Gina Carano is the only female fighter that’s even somewhat of a draw?