Phillipe Nover blogs his thoughts on animated Week Three episode of TUF

Wrapping up things from last week, I must say that Eliot definitely deserved getting back into the house. I think he won the fight. He fought such a tough battle against Karen and was pretty beat up after. I remember him icing his body up with this icing machine he had. He is definitely a UFC-caliber fighter.

As everyone saw tonight, I wound up on the red team as Nog’s first pick. It felt great to be picked first by Noguiera but at the same time I felt some pressure. I felt I needed to fill in some big shoes. Being first pick for the red team meant you must be a bad ass. I was really happy to get picked by Nogueira rather then Mir. He is the reigning world champion!

As you can see we really focused on the team aspect of things. We trained together, cooked and ate together, and we even slept in the same room. My room had Delgado, Efrain, Jules, John, Kyle, and myself. Our team, as you can see from the episode, almost felt like a family.

This week’s episode was certainly not short on drama. It was the craziest thing when Brian and Karen had to leave. When Dana said “You gotta go,” he really meant it. From that point on we never saw them again. When we got back to the house all there stuff was gone.

As for the rule about not fighting due to a broken nose, it covers the safety of the fighters. Unfortunately the whole competition is over a six-week period. So you not only have to win your fights, but also win and come out unharmed.

Junie Browning also saw a lot of camera time, which I am sure he was fine with because he loved the attention. He is this emotional roller coaster that got overwhelmed with the entire situation. He said he had a hard time growing up and it was reflected well on this episode. I think that having the ability to drink and eat almost anything you want made him go nuts.

I’ve read in the past where some people have blamed the UFC and Spike for making alcohol so readily available. I really don’t think they are to blame. I believe as an adult we should be responsible for ourselves. Not only are we adults, but also professional athletes (well, at least some of us are). So there should have been close to no drinking in the house. Spike and the UFC didn’t tell us we have to drink or force it into our mouths. We didn’t have to do anything we objected to. We didn’t even have to train or get up in the morning if you so willed not to. It really is as “real as it gets!”

Finally, we have the fight. Ryan is so powerful. After watching the fight over and over on TV, he looked like he hit Tom with a brick. Tom stood his ground well but made a small error which cost him the fight. I think Tom should fight at 185 lbs. and not at 205 lbs. He is just not big enough. Nogueira didn’t talk openly to the entire team about his fight pick. I think he just pulled Ryan to the side and told him his thoughts. The matchup was perfect.

One last thing: I was asked about the fried chicken reference last week. Well, in the kitchen there was some KFC and it smelled the place up. I think it was ordered for the Spike workers. Cold cuts would have been better. At least it wouldn’t have smelled.

• Powers says:

Good job phillipe. I think you the red team will be able to provide the correct mental support to carry the ultimate wins. 90% mental 10% physical.

• Mark Aulet says:

Good Luck buddy. Nice to see a down to earth New Yorker who has skills showing what he’s made of.

• tufer says:

I am pretty sure Ryan Bader went 1st for Team Nog

• darkmetal says:

Great comments, “Nova” (I hope you don’t mind the nickname)

I agree totally on your discussion on personal responsibility; I would also add that any fighter that drinks like Junie cannot help but be physically hampered in their quest to be the “Ultimate fighter”. How well can you train with a hangover every day? Also, it simply saps a person physically, letting a more well adjusted fighter overwhelm you if you drink as much as Junie.

I kind of wish that Dana would call Leben in to have a talk with Junie to straighten him out. It would be something new to TUF, and would connect the Juniors to the Senior class. Can you imagine Leben telling Browning, “Dude, I have been where you have been. I drank to try to kill the feelings, but the feelings only get worse. Everything bad that has happened to me has been due to drinking.” “Kid, you have the chance to win this thing, do you really want to toss it all away?”

• David Andrest says:

I’m pretty sure, they picked 205 and 155 separate. He was Nog’s number 1 pick at lightweight.

• matt says:

its true. junie is a great figher, but very mentally weak outside of the cage. i had a hard time growing up too, but i dont get drunk every day. when you get the biggest opportunity of your life, you cant mess it up by partying. id choose training with the current ufc champion over partying 10 out of 10 times. you have all the time in the world to party when you get home, but make the most of your 6 weeks. at the same time, you have to make your own mistakes to learn from them. last season when bisping came in and told them “this is the biggest opportunity of your life, dont drink blah blah” they still did

• matt says:

oh yea great job on the article man and good luck (even though its over already)

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Man, congratulations on being Nog’s first pick! That means he thinks you’re the favorite to win at 155.

The pressure is oooooooon! =)

• THORAZINE says:

Looks like Phillip’s workout room is a garage convert…. very cool.

Darkmetal that’s a stroke of genius bringing Leban in… unfortunately that’s probably not part of the setup and won’t be, in terms of fairness to the other fighters that don’t get any extra assistance for whatever it is they need psychological or otherwise.

sooo’ Phillip ‘SuperNova’ Nover… lol… niiiiccceeee’