Benji Radach not happy with the UFC

EliteXC newcomer Benji Radach will be fighting this Saturday during CBS’ “Saturday Night Fights” for the first time since losing in the finals of the IFL middleweight Grand Prix Finals to Matt Horwich last Dec. 29.

Radach was the odds-on favorite to become the first-ever IFL middleweight champion in that fight and a victory would have given him a perfect 6-0 record in 2007. Burned out from competing six times in one year, Radach’s body was depleted and he was not able to perform to the best of his ability.

There still was a silver lining coming out of the loss in that Radach still posted an impressive 5-1 record following a three-year hiatus from competitive MMA due to a multitude of injuries.

Due to the demise of the IFL, Radach never was able to get a second shot at claiming the title. He become a free agent two months ago and spoke with a number of suitors before signing a multi-fight deal with EliteXC.

However, Radach revealed to me in a new interview with CBSSports.com that he had contacted the UFC before speaking with any other promotion in hopes of a possible return. He was none too pleased with the response he received, as he was told he would need to win a fight outside of the UFC first before they would consider extending him an offer.

“The UFC actually never pursued anything,” Radach answered when asked to address reports that he had received an offer from the UFC before signing with EliteXC. “I actually gave them the option at first (to negotiate) by letting them know I was interested in fighting for the UFC again. But they said I needed to win a fight before I could be a part of the UFC. That really was kind of retarded from my point of view. If there’s a good fighter out there, then you want to grab that good fighter. It doesn’t make a difference if he goes out there and beats a nobody and then gets a win and comes back in. It’s just really stupid. Why is it important that I go out and smash somebody just to get a win rather than fight a top guy in your organization?”

In the interview, Radach addressed a number of topics, including whether there was any apprehension about jumping into a fight against Murilo “Ninja” Rua after a long layoff as well as he re-telling of a 2005 incident in Vancouver, Canada in which he broke up an armed robbery. To read the interview in its entirety, click here.

• sabotageMMA says:

Radach gets the cold shoulder while Horwich gets matched up with Ricardo Almeida at UFC 90… Interesting how the results of one fight can change a fighter’s career.

• ctownhood says:

I wonder why every guy who feels he is a top flight fighter feels they “deserve” a spot in the UFC? If they UFC wanted Radach, they would have called him, not the other way around.

• Jeff L says:

And now he finds himself on the ass end of another promotion on it’s way out. You can have a 100 fight deal, but it doesn’t mean job security if your employer isn’t going to be around to honor it. Way to shoot his mouth off and wreck his future opportunities. I hope he likes Japan. Some of these guy’s lack of big picture and business acumen is astounding.

• Robert says:

ctownhood your a little naive if you think the UFC only signs guys who deserve a shot.I read an article on sherdog where a phone call was made to Joe Silva on behalf of Horwich by someone in team Quest and thats how he got his deal and look at Clay Guida and Rashad Evans both their brothers were on TUF.It’s not always the best guys who get in the UFC it’s also who your contacts are and who’s willing to do you a favor.

• Robert says:

Jeff L what’s astounding is how many people who post on here saying so and so should just keep their mouth shut.No wonder this country is controlled by 1 percent of the population people are such sheep.

• BG says:

I think the UFC was correct here. His fight with Horwich was almost a year ago, I’d definitely want him to show me if he’s improved or not. According to fight finder he hasn’t had a fight since then. So the UFC asks “what have you been doing?, ohh not fighting, well I think I’d like to see you fight again.” Seems logical to me.

And Robert, I wouldn’t call being on TUF and not making it in the house being in the UFC.

• ACK! says:

I’m with Benji on this one. His last five wins were all devastating displays of domination. So he lost one fight to an inferior fighter. I don’t see what it proves for him to go out and whup up on a can.

• Imbecile says:

Poor Benji. You mean you actually have to work hard like everyone else to make it in professional sports. It isn’t like Radach is someone like Jake Shields, where you would be surprised if the UFC showed no interest in him. He would be average in the UFC, and they already have a lot of fighters under contract. Showing what he can do in a recent win is not an unreasonable request.

• dpk says:

The fact that Horwich lost his next fight to McGivern, and then McGivern lost his next fight to Miller, really doesn’t do too much to help Benji’s case.

Go win a fight or two, and put yourself into a situation where people are openly asking on this form why UFC isn’t signing you.

• ACK! says:

The guy fought six times in one year (with five wins)… How is that not hard work?

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Benji Radach not happy with the UFC
    Who Gives a Shit?

by Sam Caplan

Fixed that for ya.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

And that wasn’t a slight at you, Sam, and your reporting.

It was towards Radach who thinks he should be on Joe Silva’s speed dial.

• HexRei says:

I dunno, I think he has the right to be unhappy with the organization. Have none of you ever looked for employment before? The only difference is that there’s a whole media community listening to his employment woes.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“That really was kind of retarded from my point of view. If there’s a good fighter out there, then you want to grab that good fighter. It doesn’t make a difference if he goes out there and beats a nobody and then gets a win and comes back in. It’s just really stupid.”

He can complain all he wants about not fighting in the UFC but that quote makes it seem like the UFC OWES it to him to bring him on. THAT is what is retarded from my point of view.

• Davey D says:

I respect Benji Radach as a person and a fighter. He can flat out fight and what he did that day in the diner is nothing short of amazing. With that, I think he’s wrong about going public this way. They told him their opinion and he can’t accept it.

His only focus in regards to fighting should be on Ninja Rua. So your not in the UFC at the moment, so what? Join the club. He could have a good thing going at EXC if he can string together some win’s. I don’t know?

To me, it seems like he feels the UFC owes him a contract. They say fight & earn it. Well, go out there and earn it then Oldboy. Show them just exactly why you should be on their roster. Don’t complain about how it is or why. Just do it!

• Mike says:

Well, we all know that talking smack about the UFC in the media is a surefire way to get on Dana White’s good side!

• Robert says:

Benji Radach is a better fighter than over half the middleweights in the UFC he must be on someones bad side not to get a contract offer especially with the UFC signing several lesser former IFL fighters.

• Badguy says:

Radach should probably not be saying anything. The UFC can and do what ever they feel is right. He has his opinion thats fine, but in business unless your ok with the consequences then i guess say and spute all the complaints that you want. But this shit talking wont do him any favors.

The UFC is probably correct here. Benji should just be a fighter and not run a promotion from the back seat.

Radach needs a win for a number of reasons.
    1. His last fight he lost
    2. His last fight was some time ago
    3. He is coming off iof a injury

Horwich got a contract maybe because someone called, but also he was the guy who beat Benji. He is a Champ from the IFL.

Radach is a lower first tier fighter right now. He was looking awsome until the Horwich fight. He should just push forward and he would get back to the UFC,.

Alot of times the UFC signs guys cuz they are fresh and can be built up.
    They are young with alot of upside.

You dont see them signing to many journeyman. Yes they do, but they are usually on runs or a fill in at the last minute. Or a journeyman who is new to the UFC.

• Trsigley says:

Radach has lost to Sean Sherk, Chris Leben, and he was 1-1-1 in his last stint with the UFC. I don’t think the UFC owes him anything. Winning 5 fights in the IFL does not make you a good fighter…….fail