Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister set to be added to UFC 92

The UFC is expected to announce in the near future that a middleweight bout between Yushin Okami and Dean Lister has been added to the undercard of UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas.

The news was revealed in a report by MMA Weekly.

Okami had been expected to challenge Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 90 on Oct. 25 but Patrick Cote was the finalized opponent for Silva after Okami was slowed by a hand injury.

Okami, 21-4-1, actually holds a win over Silva dating back to a January, 2006 fight in Hawaii during Rumble of the Rock 8. Silva was disqualified after delivering an illegal kick with Okami being declared the winner at 2:33 of round 1.

While nothing is official, Okami could be in line for a middleweight title shot if he’s able to defeat Lister. Since joining the UFC, he’s compiled an impressive 6-1 record inside of the Octagon with notable wins over the late Evan Tanner, Mike Swick, Jason MacDonald, and Alan Belcher.

Lister, a grappling standout, is 11-5 since becoming involved with competitive MMA. He last competed during the live season finale for the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter” on June 21. Facing fellow middleweight Jeremy Horn, Lister was able to submit him with a guillotine choke at 3:52 of round 1. The win improved Lister’s UFC record to 4-1.

The UFC has yet to officially add UFC 92 to its online calendar of events but the event is expected to feature Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defending the UFC interim heavyweight title vs. Frank Mir. Forrest Griffin may also defend the UFC light heavyweight title vs. Rashad Evans.

• KTru says:

Good match up
    Okami may be the only fighter that may not have a mental disadvantage against Silva. I hope he can take down Lister. Dean is a tough S.O.B. though. Have had respect for him ever since he beat my old roommate Brendan Seguin.
    I look for Okami winning via Unanimous Decision.

• Robert says:

Dean Lister has been involved in some of the worst fights i have ever seen Okami gets an easy win here before he gets a title shot.

• Yushin-sama says:

rite on robert-kun

• Yushin-sama says:

yushin okami has evolved as a fighter have u seen his last 6 fights,DAM exciting,Electrifying watch out anderson silva,also Cote is gonna own anderson coz GSP taught him sum karate tricks,omg a secret move maybe

• Ronny Badass says:

If lister takes him down go to the bathroom or to the fridge to get a beer you won’t miss anything.

• Andrej says:

Isn’t Wanderlai Silva/Quinton Jackson Fight for this card as well.

• Jeremy says:

I like Lister but I don’t think he has much of a chance against Okami. Hopefully this is just a warmup fight for him til he takes on Silva.

• Mike Olson says:

Okami is anything but exciting, and why they waited to give him a title shot. Then he hurt his hand… I was excited to see Silva knock his head off. I really can’t believe someone labeled him as exciting and electrifying. You got to be kidding me. He is a solid and technical fighter, but about as exciting as Machida.

• Brian says:

I like watching Yushin Okami, but just to be completely honest he really isn’t exciting but neither is Dean Lister, still both guys are solid fighters. I think whether the fight is exciting or boring you gotta respect both guys because they’re still high level fighters, I mean they shouldn’t have to apologize for not being Anderson Silva. This fight will be decided by the guy that just wants it more and both guys always come to compete but I still have to give it to Yushin, I think he’ll be able to ground and pound out a victory.

• sven says:

A guy with horrible striking vs a guy who runs away at the slightest movement from his opponent. This has all the making to be one of the worst fights ever.

• ctownhood says:

Yushin-sama..if Cote beats Anderson Silva, don’t worry about a Okami-Silva matchup..hell would have frozen over

• Is anyone going against, “Yushin Okami by lay-and-pray for 15 minutes?” And strangely I’m not even insulting Okami when I say that.

• KTru says:

I guess that was what I was saying in my original post….

• Mike Wolfe says:

I’ll watch it and probably enjoy it, but let’s be realistic. Every middleweight is fighting for second place behind Silva. Silva only loses if he gets bored, doesn’t prepare properly, and/or gets caught with a lucky punch. Not too likely.

• the Levi says:

hey Mike Wolfe. all the fighters are actually fighting for 4 th best. because if ACE and Hendo stay at 185 then they are 2-3.

1. Anderson Silva
    2. Rich Ace Franklin
    3.Dan Hollywood Henderson

then everyone else.

• sHiZenHOUSEN says:

OKAMI will take lister down then lay on him (in STYLE) and then ground and pound listers face with percision and patience resulting in a tko close to the end of the second, cos it may take him some time to kick into gear,

GO OKAMI and yes Levi in response to your comment, yes u r right GOOD STUFF SON!!