Jason MacDonald inks new four-fight deal with UFC

Canadian middleweight Jason MacDonald has signed a new four-fight contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The news comes from MacDonald’s blog where he said, “I signed a new contract with the UFC this week. It’s a new four-fight deal, so I’ll be looking forward to four more fights in the UFC and hopefully climbing my way to the top of the division.”

MacDonald, a native of Pictou County, Nova Scotia, has fought three times this year amassing a record of 2-1. MacDonald has scored stoppage victories over Jason Lambert and Joe Doerksen while dropping a bout to Demian Maia at UFC 87: Seek and Destroy.

MacDonald isn’t currently slated for any upcoming UFC cards but he did state that he feels Michael Bisping may be next on the horizon. “My gut feeling is I’m going to fight Michael Bisping, win or lose in his upcoming bout. I have no particular reason for that. Nobody has said anything to lead me to believe that. I just see that happening. But then again Alessio Sakara just had a good knockout so maybe they’ll think that is a good matchup, another striker vs. grappler matchup.”

Bisping is scheduled to battle Chris Leben at UFC 89: Bisping vs. Leben on Saturday, October 18 in Birmingham, England.

MacDonald has kept himself busy this year mixing his octagon time with coaching and promoting. MacDonald has been preparing the likes of Ryan Ford, Josh Russell and Ryan Machan for bouts at MFC 18: Famous while also working on promoting his new show, Pure Fighting Championship.

• Lord Faust says:

This is awesome news! MacDonald always comes to fight, and I’d be supporting him even if he weren’t a fellow Canadian. Dude’s got heart.

• Grappo says:

I hate his moniker of “The Athlete” but the guy is always game and very impressive. His JJ really surprised me in the fight with Demian Maia. Glad that he’s still with the UFC.

• platypus says:

im a fan of jmac, always glad to see grapplers work their jits in ufc

• paddiosf says:

I’m a fan also, Always puts on a good fight, I like what the UFC is doing and keeping
    fighters who have “Talent” and putting investing there money properly..I cedit Dana White for reconizing that during the UFC down sizing of the bad fighters..

• Davey D says:

i agree with all the statement’s made. Jason is very talented and puts a lot of heart into every single bout. It’s not always about winning and losing in the UFC. When you fight with heart and put on a good enough show consistently, you’ll always because welcomed back. Winning is still a big part of it too as well but Joe Silva loves it when fighter’s come to fight and perform well in doing so.

• Neil says:

Like everyone else, I’m really glad to see this news. MacDonald isn’t top-10, and may never get there, but the guy never backs down and always shows up to fight. I liken him to Chris Lytle; a perennial gatekeeper that will always have fights fun to watch, win or lose.

• Echolocating says:

Jason always shows up to fight. The only time I remember him getting completely mauled was against Franklin (and who could honestly blame him). Macdonald is steadily getting better and better and I look forward to seeing him again soon. The one thing I’d like to see from him is more confidence on his feet; especially at 6′ 3″.

• Sabotage says:

Jason MacDonald is a great keeper of the Middleweight division, but the problem is that there is not much talent to grow after Silva has cleared out the all #1 contenders.

I expect Silva to fight Cote than Okami than potentially Michael Bisping followed up with a super fight against GSP or top level Light Heavyweight fighter (Silva, Rampage, Liddell, or even Evans/Griffin).

• KTru says:

I would be very surprised to see Spider and Bisping ever meeting in the Octagon.
    1. Bisping will not attain #1 contender status before Silva retires
    2. Bisping has a possible loss to Leben, and an almost guaranteed loss to Hendo on the horizon.
    3. Silva will get bored sooner than later and make his jump to LHW.

Not to hijack the topic….
    MacDonald is an exciting fighter but not a top 10, not close

6. Almaeida
    7. Maia
    8. Bisping
    9. Leben
    10. Palhares

• HexRei says:

Why have three separate people now gone out of their way to point out that he’s not top 10? Who said he was?

• Echolocating says:

Casshern… been meaning to check that one out for a while. Thanks for the reminder, HexRei. 😉

• Kelvin says:

Good For ‘The Athlete’

• banter says:

Why do some people on forums and blog have to try to bring someone down every time something good happens to a fighter? Take your “he’s not top 10 rankings” and shove them up your miserable asses

Anyway…glad he is sticking around and good to see a fighter who brings it every time get rewarded.

• KTru says:

I wasnt bringing him down as much as I was showing a made-up list of how strong the MW division is.
    I more-less responded to the posts before mine. I have no issue with the guy and am fine with his renewal. Either way my opinion does not count for anything so dont get so bent out of shape with my “top ten rankings” or anyone else’s opinion.
    Thats exactly what it is.

Now I will say something else that hopefully doesnt ruffle your feathers…..
    Cung Le will instantly be a top 5 MW when he comes over to the UFC

• HexRei says:

I could buy that. He really worked Framrock badly, and that guy even at his age is no pushover. I’m not sure he’d make it to the top5 right away (the UFC’s MW division is so damn deep) but he will definitely shake things up and probably will enter the top 10 with his first fight, assuming it’s against somebody who is already a top10.

• HexRei says:

One thing I do wonder about is the fact that Le is 36. How much longer does he really have in his career? What if he doesn’t go to the UFC until he’s 38?

• banter says:

HexRei

Le stated in an interview roughly…3 months ago I think that he only has a couple years left and its time for him to prepare for his post fighting career with movies so it seems like he has already started moving on.

• HexRei says:

can’t say im suprised.

• Tim says:

Enjoy watching him, I hope he does fight Bisping, I think that would be a very enjoyable fight to watch..

Glad we will get more Jason