Report: Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva rescheduled for UFC 93 on Jan. 31

Brazilian MMA website Tatame is reporting that a light heavyweight clash between Lyoto Machida and Thiago Silva that had been scheduled for UFC 89 on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England is now set to take place at UFC 93 during Super Bowl weekend on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

The UFC has yet to announce the fight between the two Brazilians.

The first scheduled bout between the two had to be canceled due to a back injury sustained by Silva during training. Sources informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com in recent weeks that the UFC proposed several new opponents for Machida in order to keep him on the card for UFC 89 but that his management was committed to fighting Silva as soon as he was healthy.

The 25-year old Silva is a native of Sao Paulo, Brazil and is 13-0 in his professional mixed martial arts career, according to Sherdog’s fight finder. Since debuting in the UFC at UFC 71 in May of 2007, Silva is 4-0 in the Octagon with wins over James Irvin, Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander, and Antonio Mendes.

Machida is also undefeated with a record of 13-0 and is 5-0 in the UFC. His notable UFC wins have come against Kazuhiro Nakamura, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, and Tito Ortiz, who served as his most recent opponent in May at UFC 84. Outside of the UFC he holds notables victories over Rich Franklin, B.J. Penn, and Stephan Bonnar.

• detroit_fan says:

I was hoping we would still get to see this fight.

• Grappo says:

This is great news!

*btw, the headline currently says Loyoto instead of Lyoto*

• Bad Monkey says:

Nice. This will be a great fight.

• JOe K. says:

I can’t wait!

Who is going to be the co-main event?

• LK says:

I would assume we will see BJ Penn and GSP as the main event and this will serve as the co-main event..

• Guy Gaduois says:

These guys represent two definitive types of MMA and I hope that Silva’s “style” wins out over Machida’s. This could be a really great match-up, as Silva’s speed will cancel out Machida’s elusiveness. (See how nicely I said that?)
    What a fantastic card, if the Penn v. St. Pierre pans out as well.

Speculation isn’t as fun as watching the real deal, and personally, I’m going through a little dry-spell here lately; the postponement of the WEC match in Florida really put a crimp in my MMA viewing. Come on, October!

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Yes! What great news.

I definitely see the winner of this going for the title. Before or after the winner of Rampage/Silva is the question, though.

• Robert says:

This should be a good fight but Machida should be the #1 contender fighting for the title.

• CanuckleSandwich says:

“Silva might only be 1-1 during this UFC tenure but his past accomplished can’t be ignored. And Jackson, well, a valid argument could be made that he won the bout with Griffin.”

hmm wanderlei is actually 2-3 in the UFC going way back…but he’s still the man!

but yeahit’s interesting to guess where the title shot after rashad would go – i’m guessing that just for money (since that’s dana’s first love) that we won’t see machida in a title shot if he wins – instead likely the winner of the silva/jackson fight….unless rashad wins, then of course we’llsee a griffin evans rematch.

CS

• Grappo says:

I’m a big Machida fan, though I’ll admit that I find his style more interesting than exciting. I can see how many people would find him to be a boring fighter, but I can’t understand when someone accuses him of running away. If someone repeatedly punches and kicks you in the face while backing up or sidestepping, I don’t think you can call it “running away.”

I think this Silva fight will be very interesting. Machida is “elusive” but he does get tagged from time to time, and I want to see how he holds up against Silva’s speed and power. This fight has the possibility to please a lot of Machida haters, or possibly gain him a new level of respect if he is able to dismantle Silva. For Silva, a win against Machida would be beyond huge.

• Ronny Badass says:

This means that Shogun’s return will either be aginst Lidell or Franklin and maybe Soduku unless you count Irvin and Bonner?

• JOe K. says:

Unfortunately I agree that it is unlikely that Machida will get a title shot even if he wins. That whole entertainment aspect of the UFC has a tendency to suck the sport out of MMA.

I think the only chance he has is to put on a show with Thiago and beat him in convincing fashion. If Thiago presses the action (of which he will) the fight will be “exciting.” Then perhaps Machida’s style may be more palatable.

Though, outside the cage, I have heard him and Anderson Silva are going to be guest coaches on TUF this season. Perhaps Anderson will pull some strings behind the scenes?

Regardless of all of this:

A man with no losses,13 wins 5 coming from the UFC and of the other 8, 3 of those are Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, and BJ Penn, deserves a title shot. If he beats Thiago Sliva who is also undefeated, it will be an absolute tragedy for the sport if he does not get a title shot.

• wolfgang says:

Thiago is a poor mans Wandy who doesn’t have a lot of quickness. Machida will embarrass him.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“hmm wanderlei is actually 2-3 in the UFC going way back…”

Thanks for the history lesson but note that I said “during this UFC tenure.”