Rampage says he’s fighting at UFC 92 on Dec. 27

During a new article by British tabloid The Sun, former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has contradicted a Yahoo! Sports report that indicated his next fight was likely to take place at UFC 93 on Jan. 31.

The paper claims that Jackson said in an interview with UK sports channel Setanta Sports that he will be returning to action at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas and that his opponent could be former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva.

“I fight on December 27 and I’m hoping it’s against (Silva),” the paper quotes Jackson as saying. “And if it is I’m going to be ready to steamroller him. It doesn’t matter if he’s beaten me twice before, it matters on the night. But the UFC have approached a few people to take the fight and a couple of them have turned it down.”

The report indicates that while Jackson expects to return before year’s end, whether or not Silva is his opponent is contingent upon Silva agreeing to the bout. However, Silva already holds two previous wins over Jackson.

Their first meeting took place in the finals of PRIDE’s 2003 middleweight Grand Prix tournament in Japan on Nov. 19 of that year. After recording a stunning second round TKO vs. Chuck Liddell and spoiling a much-anticipated dream match between Liddell and Silva, Jackson faced Silva in the final, where he was TKO’d at 6:28 of round 1.

The two rematched less than a year later at PRIDE 28 in October 2004 and it was Silva who once again got the better of Jackson following a knockout at 3:26 of round 2.

• Sabotage says:

Silva vs Rampage 3 may end up like the first two bouts, but I would have no complaints because it still would be one hell of a fight!

Problem is who is going to fight Machida? He is one win away from a title fight, but they can’t even seem to find him an opponent.

• Truth says:

The first time Rampage lost to Silva, he had just beaten down Chuck Liddell the same night…the second fight was brutal for Rampage, but I see this one being a fantastic fight…Jackson is motivated to beat his ass and Silva should be use to fighting in the cage and using cage tactics…can’t wait

• Davey D says:

It would be awesome if this rings true. January is just too far away to wait for both to fight again. More so in Wand’s case becuase May was his last go around and it didn’t last 2 minutes. Page’ has his court proceeding’s to deal with so we’ll wait until they make it offical. This fight will be a burnburner no doubt about it.

• ttt says:

@Truth
    it’s not like Wanderlei had a bye into final either. he went all the way with Yoshida

• Nate says:

The first two matches in Silva vs Rampage are stellar.

Both are different enough fighters today that, while I still favor Wandy.. I think Rampage can win it.

I wish the matchup had not happened after all the distractions Rampage has been part of. Will he be distracted & not able to prepare properly? Or will be want to win back the title & be gunning for the first opponent to prove himself?

I hope the latter.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Wanderlei wins this one.
    The risk of a head on collision in England is very much higher if one is not used to driving there; I’m glad this will be fought here in the states.
    Take Q to the local K1 or Pole Position track immediately after the fight and let him run the little electric car into everything he sees.
    Friends don’t let friends drive in Costa Mesa.

• Mark One says:

Wandy vs Rampage 3 would be cool but I’ll tell you what I want what I really really want is Wandy vs Griffin. It would be total WAR! (with Wandy winning)

• egad81 says:

Honestly… I think Rampage should get a rematch because losing the belt the way he did warrents a rematch…..if thats not going to happenI think Rampage needs to fight a sure thing to get his swagger back. Maybe someone on the bubble of being cut….
    Then fight for the belt again. Possible Rashad Evans vs Rampage