Report: Silva vs. Rampage III possible for Jan. 31

Over the course of the past couple of months there have been numerous unconfirmed reports speculating that a match between UFC light heavyweight title contenders Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Wanderlei Silva could take place on either Nov. 15 at UFC 91 or on Dec. 27 at UFC 92.

To date, the matchup has never been announced by the UFC and neither camp for both fighters have issued an official comment in response to the reports.

However, in his latest mailbag column for Yahoo! Sports, columnist Kevin Iole responds to a reader question about the scheduling of the fight by indicating that the fight is “almost certain” not to happen in November and is also “very unlikely” to be scheduled for December.

According to Iole, “a very good source” informed him on Tuesday that he expects the Jackson vs. Silva matchup to take place at UFC 93 during Super Bowl weekend on Jan. 31.

If the report proves to be correct, UFC 93 could shape up to be a stacked card as it is also believed that a welterweight rematch between champion Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn is expected to take place on the same card.

Jackson, the former UFC light heavyweight champion and Silva, PRIDE’s former middleweight champion, have fought on two previous occasions.

Their first meeting took place in the finals of PRIDE’s 2003 middleweight Grand Prix tournament in Japan on Nov. 19 of that year. After recording a stunning second round TKO vs. Chuck Liddell and spoiling a much-anticipated dream match between Liddell and Silva, Jackson faced Silva in the final, where he was TKO’d at 6:28 of round 1.

The two rematched less than a year later at PRIDE 28 in October 2004 and it was Silva who once again got the better of Jackson following a knockout at 3:26 of round 2.

• jimbo says:

Who is clamoring for this? I would much rather see Wandi fight Chuck again, I think liddel would get ko’ed this time. Even Rampage Liddel 2 would make more sense to me. Just my 2cents.

• Robert says:

First the UFC gives people Nogueira vs. Herring 3 now their making this matchup.I have no idea why their intent on making trilogies with former Pride fighters when it’s not a rubber match in each case one guy had already beat his opponent twice.

• Cathedron says:

I actually understand their thinking. They’ve seen certain fighters turn in very exciting fights against each other multiple times and they figure it will happen again – only now, with a much bigger US audience watching. I’m betting Rampage really wants to fight Silva just for the vindication. He’s improved a good deal in the past couple years while Silva hasn’t changed much.

• jamo says:

i realy cant wait for this!!! the fights in pride were amazing,im a big wandy fan and rampage has actualy grown on me lately.and remember its also a good way for dana to use the old pride footage he paid so much for!!lol again it will be awesome!!

• JBAR says:

I would like to see this fight. It makes more sense to me than an immediate rematch with Forrest that some are calling for. If he beats Silva I would support a rematch with Forrest. Liddell having lost 3 of his last 4 I don’t know who you match him up with right now, maybe a rematch with Keith Jardine?

• Sabotage says:

With Penn vs GSP 2 and Silva vs Jackson 3 on the same card, I would expect the PPV buys to reach nearly 750,000.

I never get my hopes up though with marquee matchups so far away. Major fighter’s injuries occur before matches time and time again. I don’t want to jinx anything of course so I actually did knock on wood.

• HexRei says:

Wand vs Page 1 and 2 were both incredible bouts and I’d love to see them go a third time. However, part of this is that I don’t see it going the same way this time. Page has matured as a fighter far beyond the Page of Pride and I see him grinding out a decision.

• joel says:

would be a great fight card if its true.

i think Rampage would finally beat Wandy.

Jimbo,

Liddell and Rampage 2 has already happened in case you didnt know.

• red says:

What I dont like is that if Jackson loses it will set him back years in getting back a title shot. When think he deserves one now

• JBAR says:

I agree with you HexRei as long as Rampage can get his head in the right place with all that is going on.

• Rich S. says:

ok,
    just because Wandy already won BOTH fights.. doesn’t mean this isn’t a good matchup..
    First of all,
    we all know Rampage is wayyyy better since his move to the UFC.. his striking is good enough to hang in there with Wandy’s now.. and although i haven’t seen it in a while, i can only imagine how much better his wrestling is..
    Second of all,
    Put the trilogy aside.. If Rampage wins, it won’t do much for the TRILOGY because he’d still be down 2 to 1… Same for Wandy.. If he wins, it does nothing for the Trilogy, because he had ALREADY won the trilogy in PRIDE..

What i’m trying to say is, don’t look at this as a trilogy.. look at it as a GREAT matchup.. a matchup that will probably fight for the 2009 FOTY spot.. a matchup that gets either Rampage, or Wandy closer to a title shot..
    that’s what’s important in this fight..
    it’s exciting, and it’s simply two of the top dogs in the LHW division fighting for their shot at a title..

and when you think about it, that’s what Nog/Herring III was..
    first and foremost, it’s an exciting matchup [at least, it was supposed to be] and it’s a match to decide title contenders.. I, personally, see the whole trilogy thing as just being a little bit of icing on an already beastly cake..

• ctownhood says:

No reason to think this one will be any different..Silva by KO

• Toque says:

I don’t care. I want to see this fight.

I think Rampage will run over Wanderlei. <– see what I did there? Because he hit people with his truck. Get it? *elbow nudge.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

• Rob says:

This would be a great fight. As we all know Rampage is not the same Rampage he was in pride. His striking has looked much more sharp then it did in the past. He also looks like he is in better shape and is more serious about fighting. I think Wand would have hid hands full this time I dont see Rampage falling into the clinch or brawling woth him like Jardine did which is the wrong way to fight Wand.Regardless of the past it would be an awesome fight and great for both fighters and the UFC!!

• jimbo says:

OOPS. honest mistake Joel
    I still feel that Liddel vs Rampage “3” would be more marketable than rampage vs Wandi 3 since they are both coming off losses both former ufc champ etc. Rampage has improved greatly sine coming to the ufc
    but I think Wandi is back and the fight would go his way again.

• DannyGio says:

I personally would rather see Wandi Ramp III, do you reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllyyyyy want to see Chuck lose 4 of his last 5? I don’t

• […] Sun, former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has contradicted a Yahoo! Sports report that indicated his next fight was likely to take place at UFC 93 on Jan. […]